Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

BA - Business - AMS -> BKK RT £1293 (Lots of dates)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2017, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Agent69
Is there any possibility that this route might get swapped to a decent airframe any time soon?
It's the party bus! Not much chance of that:

Terrifying moment 10 passengers restrain rampaging drunk Russian on British Airways flight

Here's what the BA regulars think of the route:

Bangkok 777 refurb ...

And here's a review:

Awful food and service in CW ...

Palmer
Old Oct 21, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: BA GGL IHG PlatAMB HH Dia
Originally Posted by yvrcnx
I also almost booked this fare earlier this year and for me too, advance seat selection is important. Once I added the cost to select seats for all 4 sectors, the fare was actually higher than Swiss via Zurich where seat selection for Business Class is free of charge and in my opinion Swiss' Business Class is better than BA's.
But the good seats at LX are also blocked for SEN/HON or you'll pay a lot.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 4:52 pm

I flew this route in April. Horrible, horrible, horrible. BA uses the oldest 777 for this LHR-BKK sector. CW is so uncomfortable. I routed thru HKG to LHR on the return so I could fly the A380. Only a little bit less uncomfortable. I wouldn't recommend it.

Oh and the toilet in biz was broken before take off. They didn't fix it but just put an out of service sign on the door. They just don't care.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 8:33 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, ex-AA EXP, ex-UA 1K
Originally Posted by yvrcnx
I also almost booked this fare earlier this year and for me too, advance seat selection is important. Once I added the cost to select seats for all 4 sectors, the fare was actually higher than Swiss via Zurich where seat selection for Business Class is free of charge and in my opinion Swiss' Business Class is better than BA's.
Agreed, and I almost can't believe I'm saying it, but these days AA's J seats are easily superior to BA's as well (particularly now that they've reconfigured all of their 772s with their reverse-herringbone seats). Considering BA literally introduced the first fully flat J seats, it's sad that they've fallen so far behind in contrast to their competition, even on their newest metal (their A380 seats are subpar as well).

Originally Posted by bobblevins
My issue with BA is advance seat selection. BA does not allow it on this fare unless you have OW status.
This route is usually available on AY as well, FYI.
yvrcnx likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 8:54 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
BA I AMS-BKK RT €1,497 FOR 3,442 EQD's

AMS-LHR-BKK-KUL-LHR-AMS J-I-I-I-J

Found this fare which will get me over the line to EXP for 2017 and give me a nice boost to start 2018

Can't bring it up on google flights, so can't post a link, but you can find it very easily on ba.com, see image attached.

Assuming the MH flight credits as BA (AA earning chart doesn't list I on MH) it should credit as follows...

EQD's 3,442
EMS's 20,651
AEM's 33,730 (based on already having EXP status)

BA were showing the outbound via KUL as well for similar money, but that seems to have gone up by around €400 now.

The dates are very specific and you have to change from LGW to LHR on the way out, but if the itinerary works for you and you don't mind hopping on a National Express for the connection, I believe it presents excellent value.

I'm positioning out of LHR, so, considering the change of airports, wondering if they'll let me check my luggage in at LHR for the flight to BKK when I'm checking in for the AMS flight I'll be travelling fairly light, so no big deal either way, would just be more convenient.
Attached Images  
Old Oct 25, 2017, 9:19 pm

Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
Just double check regarding the EQDs, because I think BA and AA share information about ticket prices, so you might end up with a significantly lower amount!! @:-)
Old Oct 25, 2017, 9:31 pm

Programs: QF P1, BA GGL, AS GMVP
AHO likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by Nikolaos
Just double check regarding the EQDs, because I think BA and AA share information about ticket prices, so you might end up with a significantly lower amount!! @:-)
Thanks for the heads up ^ That would certainly screw up my plans.

What is the point of the BA earning chart on AA's site then? This would be marketed, sold and operated by BA. If this doesn't qualify, what would???

I flew LHR-JFK RT earlier this month on AA metal. I booked it as N class with BA and it credited on distance. Was I just lucky?

I flew again last week LHR-JFK on AA metal, booked with BA in N. It credited on fare, showing the AA flight number, but I'd used same day flight change, so assumed that was the issue.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 9:35 pm

Oops, I guess I should run some searches before posting in future Should I email admin to take this down?
Old Oct 25, 2017, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG, FB Gold
Originally Posted by Nikolaos
This IS a risk.

Originally Posted by driveswith
I flew again last week LHR-JFK on AA metal, booked with BA in N. It credited on fare, showing the AA flight number, but I'd used same day flight change, so assumed that was the issue.
And yes, SDFCes can trigger changes in how flights get credited, especially on AA.

But all that said, why not fly OSL-DOH-AKL on QR for way less than double the AMS-BKK price you cite, even right now -- which is ~600 euros more than you could have paid yesterday or the day before.

Roughly twice the miles of your itin, on QRs 787 and 777-200, for a MUCH better inflight experience in every respect, and no reported issues with how the flights will credit. (Mine last year posted exactly per AA's partner chart: 1.5x EQMs, 20% of miles flown as EQDs.)
Old Oct 25, 2017, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by rdrnnr
But all that said, why not fly OSL-DOH-AKL on QR for way less than double the AMS-BKK price you cite, even right now -- which is ~600 euros more than you could have paid yesterday or the day before.
Thanks for all that. It's about the destination for me, not the flights. I have a friend out in BKK over the winter break, so was considering going touring with him, don't have much going on in AKL. Problem with my plan is, I fly on Dec 31, so if it doesn't credit correctly, I won't find out till it's too late.

If it credits on fare and I query it with AAdvantage customer service, won't they agree that as per their website it credited wrong and apply the correct credits?
Old Oct 25, 2017, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG, FB Gold
If there's no BA-marketed on AA-metal involved, you'll most likely be OK, but I wouldn't bank on it. There seems to be no end to the lengths these carriers will take to devalue their FF programs.

The lack of I tickets for MH on AA's partner table could also bite you, but at least that sector's not part of your strategy for 2017.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 6:26 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A gold, Skyteam elite plus, Hilton gold, SPG gold
this is the actual mileage that you will get for AA
American Airlines (AA)
17802 miles
Old Nov 8, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Normally fly QR or EK or EY or TG or RJ or QF or anybody except BA...........

Booked on BA for May 2018, 1103 Euro and I can ditch the final LGW-AMS sector. What have I done?????

Last edited by capin; Nov 8, 2017 at 1:57 pm
Old Nov 8, 2017, 2:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
If you do that, what would they do about tier points?
Originally Posted by capin
Normally fly QR or EK or EY or TG or RJ or QF or anybody except BA...........

Booked on BA for May 2018, 1103 Euro and I can ditch the final LGW-AMS sector. What have I done?????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.