Bangkok 777 refurb

Old Aug 2, 17, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Bangkok 777 refurb

Hi - Flying to Bangkok during Sept with BA (first time in a long time - usually Qatar Business). Can anyone tell me if this 200 series aircraft has had the Premium Cabin upgrade? To be honest I've lost touch with Ba and have no idea over the years how many cabin upgrades there has been. I notice on the BA website there is an ongoing refurb for Premium but not focused immediately on the 777-200.

I was in Dubai last week (BA Premium) and it was certainly different to the Premium I flew 10 years or so ago. I have no idea if that flight had the upgraded premium. All I can say is there was only one usb port below the screen - new seems to have two.

Many thanks.
Old Aug 2, 17, 6:41 am

Afraid not. It'll be an old aircraft with old cabins and old IFE - sorry!

Welcome to Flyertalk by the way, Bil1965.
Old Aug 2, 17, 6:59 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Bil1965 View Post
Hi - Flying to Bangkok during Sept with BA (first time in a long time - usually Qatar Business). ..
You're going to notice a small difference !!

Oh, and welcome Bil1965
Old Aug 2, 17, 7:26 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Welcome to Flyertalk and the BA Board, Bil1965

I see your question has been answered however the BA Forum Dashboard is well worth a look for all BA and Oneworld related matters, it's very comprehensive!

Other useful sites are thebasource.com and headforpoints.com too
Old Aug 2, 17, 7:40 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I think the OP is going to be in for an unpleasant surprise. The BKK fleet is poor and the flight timing awful. I now fly via HK.
Old Aug 2, 17, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Many thanks guys for the quick replies. As I feared. To make matters worse I am just trying to use up some miles on this trip. As I mentioned, I usually fly via Doha.
I'll make sure I make full use of lounge in T5 first to dull the senses!!

Also note advice re other dashboard.
Old Aug 2, 17, 8:19 am

Programs: BA Silver
Many thanks guys for the quick replies. As I feared. To make matters worse I am just trying to use up some miles on this trip. As I mentioned, I usually fly via Doha.

I have taken this flight in CW fairly regularly. I'd just say it is adequate in the way QR is excellent.

The food is generally decent enough anyway.
Old Aug 2, 17, 8:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Southlondonbonviveur View Post
I think the OP is going to be in for an unpleasant surprise. The BKK fleet is poor and the flight timing awful. I now fly via HK.
I just amended my next BKK-LHR to go via Hong Kong for this reason. The BKK departure time means I would have to either leave work early on Friday or fly the next day but if I go via HK I can connect onto the A380 service just before midnight and be home a clear 12 hours before the Bangkok flight arrives the next day.

Also, not sure if it matters so much in Club but presumably the A380 CW is either the same as or better than the 777-200 CW used on the Bangkok route?
Old Aug 2, 17, 8:31 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, EK Blue
Probably of no help to the OP but my flight the other day on a 777-200 (G-VIIL) aircraft was the first in about 5 years. I was actually pleasantly surprised in the comfort of the seat (padding & space) which is the main factor for me.

S
Old Aug 2, 17, 8:37 am

Agree with Saltire74 for a day flight the seat is comfy and adequate and you should get some sleep too. Other service differences will of course be noticeable
Old Aug 2, 17, 8:44 am

I fly LHR-BKK quite a lot. In economy BA are not too bad, OK, the plane is old but at least it is 3-3-3 and I have had some excellent crews on this route. I prefer TG for economy but would at least consider BA.

If you are used to flying the fantastic QR J product and are going to be flying CW then I am afraid that you are in for quite a shock.

Last edited by capin; Aug 2, 17 at 9:20 am Reason: correcting typos
Old Aug 2, 17, 9:16 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by HarryKUK View Post
I just amended my next BKK-LHR to go via Hong Kong for this reason. The BKK departure time means I would have to either leave work early on Friday or fly the next day but if I go via HK I can connect onto the A380 service just before midnight and be home a clear 12 hours before the Bangkok flight arrives the next day.

Also, not sure if it matters so much in Club but presumably the A380 CW is either the same as or better than the 777-200 CW used on the Bangkok route?
I'd say it's better because it is a newer aircraft and a better IFE system. That said, one problem that I have with the 380 is that J is very big, and I get the impression the crew can be a bit rushed- you certainly don't get much "personalised" service, although as with all things BA, there is inconsistency, with some crews much better than others. For me, not that much of a problem- both HKG sectors are night flights where I want to sleep- but it might be a bit disappointing if you are viewing this as a treat. However it doesn't sound as though you are.
Old Aug 2, 17, 10:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Southlondonbonviveur View Post
I'd say it's better because it is a newer aircraft and a better IFE system. That said, one problem that I have with the 380 is that J is very big, and I get the impression the crew can be a bit rushed- you certainly don't get much "personalised" service, although as with all things BA, there is inconsistency, with some crews much better than others. For me, not that much of a problem- both HKG sectors are night flights where I want to sleep- but it might be a bit disappointing if you are viewing this as a treat. However it doesn't sound as though you are.
On this occasion, no, very much not a treat. Back to London for just two days then back to Bangkok so need to maximise sleep. Flying direct to BKK on the Monday as the flight times in that direction suit my plans better than flying via HKG.
Old Aug 2, 17, 10:52 am
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
You are going to have an OK flight. I have done it twice in economy in the last year. Don't get me wrong its not QR and it's the old aircraft.

The one slight benefit is that the older seats are pretty comfortable, but the IFE is so fuzzy you can hardly see it.
Old Aug 3, 17, 12:31 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold)
This thread has made me feel so much better after I day of wondering if I did the right thing.

My Qatar flights BKK-DOH-AUH in First were cancelled and when I called BA this morning they offered me BKK-LHR(overnight)-VIE in Business (amazing they agreed to VIE!). I had a second Qatar booking from AUH-DOH-VIE that I could have cancelled to get my 12,500 Avios back on that booking. Eventually I was rebooked with the 2 bookings connecting at KWI instead of AUH.

Although I would have got Avios back, I couldn't quite bear the thought of replacing QR First with BA Business....so I'm so glad I didn't!

Search this Thread