Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

Aeromexico:YYZ_EZE $1731 CAD return

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aeromexico:YYZ_EZE $1731 CAD return

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2017, 7:06 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bgriff
Considering that international-to-international connections at MEX require going through customs (like I-to-I connections at US airports), and the customs lines can be very long at certain times of day, the long layovers on this routing could actually be thought of as providing a certain amount of peace of mind.
Agreed- I much prefer a little extra time and no stress. Its about 4 hours going down, which is fine, but 10+ hours on the way back. Fortunately its a daytime layover, so everything is open and I may escape the airport to a favorite restaurant for a long lunch...
Old Aug 24, 2017, 7:12 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by ULDB65
Agreed- I much prefer a little extra time and no stress. Its about 4 hours going down, which is fine, but 10+ hours on the way back. Fortunately its a daytime layover, so everything is open and I may escape the airport to a favorite restaurant for a long lunch...
I hadn't noticed the extra long return layover. I was thinking I saw an option with about a 5 hour layover in each direction but I'm probably getting this confused with some other route.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
Wide availability of this fare, worked nicely into my schedule, so booked over Thanksgiving to visit family down there. Yes the 777 lie flats are not new, and layover in MEX is a little long, but a great fare that books into I class, so credits well to DL.

FYI when looking at Google Flights the calendar did not show great availability, but clicking on my dates anyway brought up the low fare. Bookable at Expedia or directly on Aeromexico.
Also just booked this for the Thanksgiving holiday, down on 11/22, back on 11/25. Are you on either of these flights? Best I could do with having to add a LIT-YYZ positioning flight and be back at work on 11/27.

I've read the not-so-favorable reviews of AM's 777, and MEX immigration, etc., but am willing to grin and bear it since this trip will give me Diamond status for 2018.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by arkangel
Also just booked this for the Thanksgiving holiday, down on 11/22, back on 11/25. Are you on either of these flights? Best I could do with having to add a LIT-YYZ positioning flight and be back at work on 11/27.

I've read the not-so-favorable reviews of AM's 777, and MEX immigration, etc., but am willing to grin and bear it since this trip will give me Diamond status for 2018.
No, sorry- I'm flying down 11/17, and back on 11/27. I don't need the miles for DM, but seemed like a good price and I'm always up for a little adventure!

Let me know if you want details from the flights down or MEX transfer, as I go a few days before you.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
No, sorry- I'm flying down 11/17, and back on 11/27. I don't need the miles for DM, but seemed like a good price and I'm always up for a little adventure!

Let me know if you want details from the flights down or MEX transfer, as I go a few days before you.
Yes, that would be great! Thanks. Then I'd have a better idea of what we're "in for."

For me, this is pretty much of a mileage run as the fare was too good to pass up. Plus, I'll be returning to Mexico City after a 40 year hiatus. For my wife, it will be an opportunity to use her Spanish speaking skills and to see what her oldest son enjoyed when he studied at the Universidad Belgrano some 15, or so, years ago.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 7:34 pm

In reviewing my reservation, I just noticed that the fare basis code begins with "T", and not "I" as I thought! I am seated in business, and know that when I booked it on their website I selected Confort(I, D), not Clasica(T, etc.), a coach fare which was, of course, less expensive.

When I called AM for an explanation, the agent could only tell me that, indeed, I am seated in first/business class but the fare is a coach fare for which, according to DL, I'll earn only 100% MQMs, and not the 150% that I was counting on.

Has anyone else who booked one of these discount "J" fares in late August experienced this "conundrum?"
Old Oct 7, 2017, 9:43 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

In reviewing my reservation, I just noticed that the fare basis code begins with "T", and not "I" as I thought! I am seated in business, and know that when I booked it on their website I selected Confort(I, D), not Clasica(T, etc.), a coach fare which was, of course, less expensive.

When I called AM for an explanation, the agent could only tell me that, indeed, I am seated in first/business class but the fare is a coach fare for which, according to DL, I'll earn only 100% MQMs, and not the 150% that I was counting on.

Has anyone else who booked one of these discount "J" fares in late August experienced this "conundrum?"
I posted in the thread for another similar AM fare from LAX/JFK to say that I saw the same thing and the AM agent I reached on Twitter indicated to me that the fare would earn miles with Delta based on the business class fare code. (I specifically asked about earning with Delta and they specifically responded to that question, so it seemed like competent guidance, but hard to know for sure.) I don’t fly until next month so don’t know yet but there have been a few of these fares so hopefully someone else has a data point.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 7:30 am

In reviewing my reservation, I just noticed that the fare basis code begins with "T", and not "I" as I thought!...
Mine is the same, and I don't anticipate any issues.

On a completely unrelated note, one part of the rules made me smile:

CHARGE USD 150.00 FOR NO-SHOW/REISSUE.
WAIVED FOR DEATH OF PASSENGER

So if you die before flying, they wont charge you for being a no-show. How considerate...
Old Nov 18, 2017, 1:10 am

Yes, that would be great! Thanks. Then I'd have a better idea of what we're "in for."..
Quick report:
YYZ check in quick- 100 people in economy line, zero in sky priority line. Lounge at C32 nice, uncrowded, decent offerings.
Departed 20min late but scheduled to land 20min early. 7 of 16 seats in F went out empty. Good salmon, seat fine for 4hr flight, decent IFE.
Fog in MEX diverted us to QRO where we sat for a few hrs, ultimately arriving MEX 3 hrs late.
10 min for immigration, 5 for security, still would have made the 10am connection. But it got delayed, too, ultimately for 6 hrs.
Lounge at gate 75 small but nice, upstairs lounge larger but more crowded. Both thin on food but plenty of drink options, coffees, news & magazines.
777 was old, not quite lie flats in a shell. Middle seats were empty, so "F" was a good choice. Good food, service, seats comfy enough, IFE old and slow.
If you are used to Delta One, this is a downgrade, but still way better than economy...
Old Nov 19, 2017, 4:07 pm

Quick report:
YYZ check in quick- 100 people in economy line, zero in sky priority line. Lounge at C32 nice, uncrowded, decent offerings.
Departed 20min late but scheduled to land 20min early. 7 of 16 seats in F went out empty. Good salmon, seat fine for 4hr flight, decent IFE.
Fog in MEX diverted us to QRO where we sat for a few hrs, ultimately arriving MEX 3 hrs late.
10 min for immigration, 5 for security, still would have made the 10am connection. But it got delayed, too, ultimately for 6 hrs.
Lounge at gate 75 small but nice, upstairs lounge larger but more crowded. Both thin on food but plenty of drink options, coffees, news & magazines.
777 was old, not quite lie flats in a shell. Middle seats were empty, so "F" was a good choice. Good food, service, seats comfy enough, IFE old and slow.
If you are used to Delta One, this is a downgrade, but still way better than economy...
Thanks for the info. Was your arrival into EZE really delayed 6hrs., so until, like, 4am?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 8:25 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Quick report:
I flew JFK-MEX-EZE on a similar fare this weekend. Would largely agree with the above, except to say I thought the food onboard was pretty bad. Edible, and reasonable portion sizes, but about US domestic first class quality, and on the lower end of that, even.

IFE is not great on the 777. The system was old, and there was a much larger content selection on my 738 from JFK. Something to keep in mind for the long daytime flight southbound. I downloaded some Netflix items to my iPad which was a welcome substitute.

I'd put the 777 seat in about the middle of the pack among angled-lie-flat products. I was impressed, though, at how well-maintained the cabin was for such an old plane near retirement -- I find that on most airlines still offering angled-lie-flat seats these days, including recent experiences on TG and SV, the seats also tend to be poorly maintained and sometimes don't recline as much as they're designed to, etc., which compounds the misery. (Perhaps this is because an airline which doesn't have its act together enough to have upgraded to better seats also doesn't have its act together enough to keep up their cabins.) So AM gets some credit there.

I didn't spend much time in the lounge but thought the one upstairs near gate 75 was actually a lot nicer physically than I was expecting. There was also a waiter who came around and offered a couple of hot dishes available to order. I assume there wasn't an extra charge for those items, but not sure as I didn't order one. Still, if you're hungry could definitely be worth seeking it out.

Our flights were on time but I noticed when we arrived in MEX from JFK that the EZE-MEX flight that day had been massively delayed, left EZE around 6am. I feel very sorry for the people on that flight ... knocking on wood that the same issue doesn't recur when I fly back this weekend...

All that said, I wouldn't hesitate to take advantage of a similar deal again in the future--especially so since AM's 777s are retiring in another few months so a similar deal in the future would involve their 787s with fully flat bed seats--and even more especially so since starting Jan 1, DL mileage earning on AM flights becomes even more lucrative, which could be very appealing. But, the 787s also have quite a few fewer business class seats than the 777s, so I'm not holding my breath on finding this same fare again in the future. We'll see.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 4:15 pm

Thanks for the info. Was your arrival into EZE really delayed 6hrs., so until, like, 4am?
Yes, arrived 4:30am into EZE.

Original delay from MEX was claimed to be from the fog, but after boarding 4 hrs late we sat for another 2 hours before departing due to a mechanical.
Also worth noting that communication from AM regarding the delay in MEX was non-existant. After they assigned the gate for the original 10am departure, everyone lined up in front of their zone signs, but no employees ever showed up. The airport monitors and AM website showed the flight as "on time". At 10:30am everyone just gave up and many queued at a customer service counter. I went to the upstairs lounge, where they said revised departure of 1:45pm, and said they would make announcements, which they did. About an hour later, the flight showed up on the monitors again as 1:45pm "On Time", with no reference to the original delay. Boarded a little after 2pm, then sat until our departure at 4:30pm.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 9:32 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

I flew JFK-MEX-EZE on a similar fare this weekend. Would largely agree with the above, except to say I thought the food onboard was pretty bad. Edible, and reasonable portion sizes, but about US domestic first class quality, and on the lower end of that, even.

IFE is not great on the 777. The system was old, and there was a much larger content selection on my 738 from JFK. Something to keep in mind for the long daytime flight southbound. I downloaded some Netflix items to my iPad which was a welcome substitute.

I'd put the 777 seat in about the middle of the pack among angled-lie-flat products. I was impressed, though, at how well-maintained the cabin was for such an old plane near retirement -- I find that on most airlines still offering angled-lie-flat seats these days, including recent experiences on TG and SV, the seats also tend to be poorly maintained and sometimes don't recline as much as they're designed to, etc., which compounds the misery. (Perhaps this is because an airline which doesn't have its act together enough to have upgraded to better seats also doesn't have its act together enough to keep up their cabins.) So AM gets some credit there.

I didn't spend much time in the lounge but thought the one upstairs near gate 75 was actually a lot nicer physically than I was expecting. There was also a waiter who came around and offered a couple of hot dishes available to order. I assume there wasn't an extra charge for those items, but not sure as I didn't order one. Still, if you're hungry could definitely be worth seeking it out.

Our flights were on time but I noticed when we arrived in MEX from JFK that the EZE-MEX flight that day had been massively delayed, left EZE around 6am. I feel very sorry for the people on that flight ... knocking on wood that the same issue doesn't recur when I fly back this weekend...

All that said, I wouldn't hesitate to take advantage of a similar deal again in the future--especially so since AM's 777s are retiring in another few months so a similar deal in the future would involve their 787s with fully flat bed seats--and even more especially so since starting Jan 1, DL mileage earning on AM flights becomes even more lucrative, which could be very appealing. But, the 787s also have quite a few fewer business class seats than the 777s, so I'm not holding my breath on finding this same fare again in the future. We'll see.
Just one more note about my northbound return flight: as can happen, MEX immigration was a mess when we arrived from BA. We landed about 20-30 minutes early but had a 10 minute wait for our gate, and when we got off the plane around 6:30am the foreigners line was backed up all the way to the back of the hall, with many crowds forming and not much order. There was a pileup and some people were nearly badly injured for coming down the escalator when there was no space for people to get off the escalator (which frankly someone from the airport should have been monitoring and should have shut off the escalator, especially since I can't imagine this is the first time this has happened at MEX).

Things calmed down a bit after that and we slowly made our way through the line. It took a total of about 80 minutes to get through immigration, and it was probably another 20 minutes to grab bags, recheck, and reclear security. Our connection was originally scheduled for 2hr40min, so we made it with about a half hour of lounge time and getting to our connecting flight just before boarding started, but it was still an unpleasant way to come off a redeye. I certainly would never book an I:I (or I) connection at MEX with less than 2hr30min connecting time.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 10:33 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold. Emirates Silver BAEC Silver Air Canada 35k
Can make a soap Opera with stories.

temptation but no thanks
Old Nov 27, 2017, 6:25 pm

Just one more note about my northbound return flight: as can happen, MEX immigration was a mess when we arrived from BA. We landed about 20-30 minutes early but had a 10 minute wait for our gate, and when we got off the plane around 6:30am the foreigners line was backed up all the way to the back of the hall, with many crowds forming and not much order. There was a pileup and some people were nearly badly injured for coming down the escalator when there was no space for people to get off the escalator (which frankly someone from the airport should have been monitoring and should have shut off the escalator, especially since I can't imagine this is the first time this has happened at MEX)...
Same story for me on the northbound from EZE, also with people getting crushed at bottom of escalator, finally shutting escalator off, and endless line snaking everywhere for foreigners. I got through the Mexican line in about 15 minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.