Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AA: LAX-JFK-MIA-PTY RT $702 in A/J 18.9K EQMs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 30, 2016, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Server
OCTOBER 2016 UPDATE

LAX-JFK TRANSCONTINENTAL FLIGHTS:
Recent fare rule inclusions, effective October 2016, now prevent any routing via JFK on the non-stop transcontinental A321T aircraft. Any future booking will demand a significantly higher fare to route on the non-stops via JFK. Unless the fare rules are modified and these clauses are removed (highly doubtful), the ability to fly on the transcons via JFK is a thing of the past.
IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL BETWEEN LAX AND NYC
THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AA
BUT NOT ON AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A321 (SHARKLETS) AIRCRAFT.
AND
IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL BETWEEN SFO AND NYC
THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AA
BUT NOT ON AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A321 (SHARKLETS) AIRCRAFT.

1. Same day turns possible on the E-jets and morning 738s.

2. Bonuses now based on fare paid.

3. As of OCTOBER 2016, best fares are now around $1000. Fare tends to rise a few hundred for 2 pax. Fares can also occasionally rise for no discernible reason, but the price spikes have thus far proven to be temporary. Fares have the trend to drop during the year. Keep checking for fares in the $700-$800 ranges for best possible pricing.

4. Airport hotels with shuttles - Crowne Plaza Panama Airport & Riande Aeropuerto. The CP is slightly closer; the Riande is slightly nicer. The CP shuttle leaves the hotel every :00 and :30 and runs 24 hours but they seem to leave a few minutes early as it had left when I went down at 4:00AM on the dot. Also, note UberX charges a US$14 surcharge on top of the ~US$2 fare. CP has poor sound isolation, I could hear my neighbors on both sides including talking, crying baby etc. Had to wear earplugs to sleep.

5. Lounges:

Please refer to this thread for more detailed and accurate information on lounge access in general: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1656378-help-desk-will-i-have-lounge-access-access-rules-2016-a.html
LAX AIRPORT

= When trying to gain oneworld J / QF F access based on status, it is simply departing/connecting/arriving at any point on same ticket to and from an eligible international destination. PTY is eligible and not excluded regardless of length.

= When trying to gain oneworld J / QF F access based on class of service disregarding status, it is the international long haul clause that applies. Therefore, no "oneworld/QF lounge" access for non-elites for trips to and from PTY unless booking transcons since PTY is under 5 hours. BUT AA doesn't enforce this in their own lounges so Admirals Club access is expected.

AA GOLDs(RUBYs)/NON-ELITES
Admirals Club access is granted regardless of routing as AA does not enforce international long haul rule. However, the oneworld J lounge does for Golds(rubys)/non-elites as they are aware the PTY flights are under 5 hours. Booking transcon flights in J/F gains access to the OWJ/QFF lounges.
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J lounge + QF F Lounge LAX>
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in J = Admirals + LAX oneworld J lounge>
<Non-Transcon F (2-class) + PTY = Technically NONE (PTY under 5 hours therefore class of service rule applies) BUT AA still opens Admirals Club doors to all customers because they dont enforce the long-haul rule>

AA PLATINUMs
Platinums gain access to all AC/Business lounges regardless of routing due to flying to and from PTY. They gain access to First/Flagship lounges when traveling in F 3-class transcon
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J lounge + QF F Lounge LAX>
<Non-Transcon F (2-class) + PTY = Admirals + LAX oneworld J>

AA EXPs
EXPs have access to all lounges at all airports regardless of routing so long as they are traveling to and from PTY on the same itinerary (an international destination neither excluded from AA's list of ineligible regions nor limited by the flight length rule)
<EXPs Transcon F (2-class) + PTY = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs Non-Transcon F (2-class) + PTY = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + PTY) in Y = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + PTY) in J = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + PTY) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>

NON-AA ONEWORLD ELITES
All sapphires and emeralds have some form of lounge access on any flight systemwide
<non-AA sapphires on ALL AA FLIGHTS = Admirals Club + oneworld J lounge LAX>
<non-AA emeralds on ALL AA FLIGHTS = Admirals Club + oneworld J lounge LAX + Flagship Lounge + QF F lounge LAX>

OTHER AIRPORTS

SFO - Admiral's Club (Centurion Lounge for a fee)
JFK - Admirals Club & Flagship Lounge for EXP/First 3-class/Emerald
MIA - Admiral's Club (Centurion Lounge for a fee), Oneworld Premium Lounge for EXP/First 3-Class/Emerald
PTY - No lounge access (Copa with PP, or for a fee, for 7am or later flights)
YVR - No lounge access (PP for a fee)
DFW - Admiral's Club (with F/C Dining for EXP/Emerald) (Centurion Lounge for a fee)

6. PTY Customs:
Inbound to PTY -
  • 12 noon - no lines reported
  • 8PM Fri (5/27/16) - ~10 min line

Outbound to MIA -
  • 4:40am - no lines reported
7. Finding flights:

NOTE: LAX-JFK NO LONGER VALID FOR LOWEST FARES (effective OCT 2016)

If you want the transcon bonus, enter the search with a connection in JFK. (e.g. LAX-JFK,JFK-MIA,MIA-PTY,PTY-JFK,JFK-SFO.) You can play around from there to get the best deal. Some of the better deals do not start and end in the same city (e.g. start in LAX, end in SFO may be cheaper than start/end in LAX).

Also, it's possible on the outbound portion to time it so you have no more than a 60-minute layover at JFK or MIA (though note that some of these flights aren't available on weekends). While yes, JFK is notorious for delays, this rarely applies for inbound red-eye flights. Also, note that AA 28 below is sometimes "hidden" if you're looking on Google Flights inside a much more expensive trip; that does not necessarily mean, however, that you can't get it for one of the trips under $1,000 (in other words, try it out to see).

NOTE: LAX-JFK NO LONGER VALID FOR LOWEST FARES (effective OCT 2016)

Below is the shortest-possible outbound itinerary that has the LAX-JFK transcon on AA's A321T with flat-bed seats:

LAX-JFK on AA 28
10:45pm - 7:22am

JFK-MIA on AA 200
8:15am - 11:24am
(Note: AA has now switched all of the metal it used on this leg - on all JFK-MIA nonstops - to 757s instead of the 767s with international-style F & J seating.)***767 and 772 are back. Flight 200 is a 772**

MIA-PTY on AA 4434
12:33pm - 2:48pm
(Note: Even more distressingly, AA switched from using a 737 on this leg to an RJ, presumably because summer is off-peak season in Central America. The 6:05pm flight still uses a 737 if a full-size aircraft is a must.)
Print Wikipost

AA: LAX-JFK-MIA-PTY RT $702 in A/J 18.9K EQMs

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2016, 11:02 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA 1K, VA Platinum, HA Platinum, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
The controversy regarding lounge access has really gotten out of control. One person says this rule applies. Another says it doesn't and has no application. And then another says they got into the First lounge while another didnt even get into the Admirals lounge. After going through the last several pages of posts, its interesting to see several points of view but one position seems to stand out the most regardless of the incidences where access wasn't granted but should have been etc.

I feel very responsible for fueling the debate and refuting several posts using my personal firsthand experiences and my own interpretation of the rules. I think I have used my two oneworld elite statuses to legitimize an all mighty powerful voice that speaks the truth when thats just not right whatsoever. Hindsight is 20/20. And I am very apologetic for misleading or confusing anyone out there that simply just wants to maximize the comfort of their trip. Regardless of how inconsistent agents may be and the odd granting and rejecting of access reported throughout this thread, there is a commonality to what seems to be the norm.

I have performed a complete overhaul of what I had originally posted in the wiki and I have deleted several parts that simply do more harm than good in outright confusing people. Please find below a copy of what I replaced in the wiki and I hope the general consensus is that everyone agrees and deems sensible and hopefully correct by both pax and agents. If I still have gotten it completely wrong, then I think I will have to bow out and not contribute any further to such a topic. Please make any amendments as this is a community wiki after all.

LAX AIRPORT

= When trying to gain oneworld J / QF F access based on status, it is simply departing/connecting/arriving at any point on same ticket to and from an eligible international destination. PTY is eligible and not excluded regardless of length.

= When trying to gain oneworld J / QF F access based on class of service disregarding status, it is the international long haul clause that applies. Therefore, no "oneworld/QF lounge" access for non-elites for trips to and from PTY unless booking transcons since PTY is under 5 hours. BUT AA doesn't enforce this in their own lounges so Admirals Club access is expected.

AA GOLDs(RUBYs)/NON-ELITES
Admirals Club access is granted regardless of routing as AA does not enforce international long haul rule. However, the oneworld J lounge does for Golds(rubys)/non-elites as they are aware the PTY flights are under 5 hours. Booking transcon flights in J/F gains access to the OWJ/QFF lounges.
<Non-Transcon F (2-class) + PTY = Technically NONE (PTY under 5 hours therefore class of service rule applies) BUT AA still opens Admirals Club doors to all customers because they dont enforce the long-haul rule>

AA PLATINUMs
Platinums gain access to all AC/Business lounges regardless of routing due to flying to and from PTY. They gain access to First/Flagship lounges when traveling in F 3-class transcon
<Non-Transcon F (2-class) + PTY = Admirals + LAX oneworld J>

AA EXPs
EXPs have access to all lounges at all airports regardless of routing so long as they are traveling to and from PTY on the same itinerary (an international destination neither included on AA's list of ineligible regions nor limited by the flight length rule)
<EXPs Transcon F (2-class) + PTY = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs Non-Transcon F (2-class) + PTY = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + PTY) in Y = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + PTY) in J = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + PTY) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>

NON-AA ONEWORLD ELITES
All sapphires and emeralds have some form of lounge access on any flight systemwide
<non-AA sapphires on ALL AA FLIGHTS = Admirals Club + oneworld J lounge LAX>
<non-AA emeralds on ALL AA FLIGHTS = Admirals Club + oneworld J lounge LAX + Flagship Lounge + QF F lounge LAX>

Last edited by wanderlust4life; Oct 16, 2016 at 6:22 am
Old Oct 16, 2016, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by wanderlust4life
<<snip>>

I think I will have to bow out and not contribute any further to such a topic.

<<snip>>
And about time. A wonderful thread about a great MR opportunity ruined.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 2:08 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA 1K, VA Platinum, HA Platinum, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Noted.

Hows that 16 sector PTY 2017 run looking now that the BAEC earning total may be impacted by the upcoming F-J changes? Big impact?

Im expecting a massive impact for my QF earnings.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 3:24 am

Noted.

Hows that 16 sector PTY 2017 run looking now that the BAEC earning total may be impacted by the upcoming F-J changes? Big impact?

Im expecting a massive impact for my QF earnings.
It has only been impacted by 1 schedule change so far But I managed to get AA to completely re-design my run to something that I would have preferred when I booked, but was ~$200 USD more expensive, so I am pretty happy ^ I'm just waiting for the next schedule change and see what the brings!

That being said, my booking on AA.com has just lost the seatmap for AA4519 DCA-PHL and is no longer available when it previously was. A bit weird

The change to TPs doesn't really affect me - I'll still easily overshoot the BAEC requirement for Gold through QR and CX journeys - I am doing this run purely for fun (just because I can!) and the fact that I have never done a 16-sector itinerary so its more to see how I go, and looking forward to IRROPs and misconnects so it will be fun when actually doing the run what route I actually end up taking. More of an adventure than the requirement of TPs.

That being said, it has gone from 1,220 to 840 TPs (~30% reduction) so those that are banking on this run to get to BAEC Gold, then yes I am sure it will be hitting hard. This is based on the predictions on the AA/BA forums bearing out in reality (we really do not know what BA will do, but they are currently not exactly in the most customer friendly moods at present).
Old Oct 16, 2016, 3:38 am

It has only been impacted by 1 schedule change so far But I managed to get AA to completely re-design my run to something that I would have preferred when I booked, but was ~$200 USD more expensive, so I am pretty happy ^ I'm just waiting for the next schedule change and see what the brings!

That being said, my booking on AA.com has just lost the seatmap for AA4519 DCA-PHL and is no longer available when it previously was. A bit weird

The change to TPs doesn't really affect me - I'll still easily overshoot the BAEC requirement for Gold through QR and CX journeys - I am doing this run purely for fun (just because I can!) and the fact that I have never done a 16-sector itinerary so its more to see how I go, and looking forward to IRROPs and misconnects so it will be fun when actually doing the run what route I actually end up taking. More of an adventure than the requirement of TPs.

That being said, it has gone from 1,220 to 840 TPs (~30% reduction) so those that are banking on this run to get to BAEC Gold, then yes I am sure it will be hitting hard. This is based on the predictions on the AA/BA forums bearing out in reality (we really do not know what BA will do, but they are currently not exactly in the most customer friendly moods at present).
Oh thats amazing you could benefit from a schedule change and re-design the trip to your liking. You must be glad you didnt pay that extra 200 dollars for the better routing. Given all the schedule changes and with how many sectors you have, chances of another schedule change could really happen and sounds like you are gonna use it to your advantage yet again. Hope that AA4519 gets sorted promptly so you dont have to worry about it.

Ive followed similar suit with not having all my eggs in one basket and making sure I have other trips in the works to maintain status regardless. Seeing that you could drop 30 percent in BA earnings pending everything actually rolling out as predicted could make or break your ability to get the originally desired number of TPs. Its good to hear that you aren't dependent on this run for status and its more so for fun.

Its a massive feat to pull off so many sectors in one trip regardless if you actually end up making all the connections or not with IRROPS. What an experience!
Old Oct 16, 2016, 10:11 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Access to lounges on a premium fare is an important aspect and one I think most MR flyers are interested in. This went on a bit long but only because there was confusion which, after this lengthy discussion, is finally settled.

I too will refrain from further lounge discussion.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by tkelvin69
Access to lounges on a premium fare is an important aspect and one I think most MR flyers are interested in. This went on a bit long but only because there was confusion which, after this lengthy discussion, is finally settled.

I too will refrain from further lounge discussion.
There wasn't any confusion on access until a few people re-interpreted some rules on their own. (The wiki is still inaccurate and overly complicated because of the many (incorrect) updates, but simply not worth the argument.)

To sum it up simply... All flying to PTY on this premium fare have access to all AC clubs at all airports on the way (if available) on the day going to/from PTY. (EXP have access to FL's same day). No exceptions/non-enforcement of rules needed. It is the AA rules that grants access.

Access to OW lounges LAX is a bit more complicated, but not worth rehashing.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 6:33 pm

Can anyone offer some advice as to whether I can make a change without paying any fees or fare difference?

Last month, I received notification of my MIA-PTY-MIA flights being retimed.
The MIA-PTY-MIA e-jet flights have 30-45 minute changes to departure times.

AA4434 MIA-PTY 1:16pm - 3:23pm CHANGED TO 12:33pm - 2:50pm
AA4434 PTY-MIA 4:03pm - 8:09pm CHANGED TO 3:30pm - 7:45pm

I know these changes aren't significant, but Im wondering if I can change my flights to the morning turnaround. For some reason, I didn't notice that theres an easy quick turn on the 737s on the same day. I thought it was only the e-jets that turned around quickly.

AA1021 9:48AM - 11:56AM MIA-PTY 738
AA981 12:51PM - 4:57PM PTY-MIA 738

Theres no "I" seats left on the outbound though, but there are 2 available on the return. Theres still plenty of J and D seats.

If I had seen these flights, I would have booked them instead because I would love to be back in MIA in time to enjoy the evening. They very well could have existed at those times, but I do think that maybe the PTY-MIA flight got retimed or something to make it a quick turn like the E75 quick same day turn. Its also an added bonus to be on the 737-800s for hot meals instead of cold meals on the E75s.

Does anyone think I can get an EXP agent to move me to the two earlier fights? I have been able to successfully modify itineraries when I have had aircraft swaps and schedule changes greater than 90 minutes etc. I just dont know if minor changes to the e-jet times open the door for further changes without penalties and fare differences. And I dont have any connecting flights that evening to support my case either. Im overnighting in MIA no matter what.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.
Thanks everyone for all your advice! LOLZ

I went ahead and called and after 5 NOs and HUCAs, the 6th EXP agent said YES and was able to process the change to the earlier flights with no change fee or fare difference applied. I know I wasn't in a position to be demanding changes to earlier flights when it wasn't warranted. I had nothing to lose except for some time spent on the phone so I gave a it a go or actually a handful and it worked out. Truly anything is possible when it comes to the EXP agents. Theres some real priceless ones out there that will fulfill such requests.

= The first agent waived the change fee and then said there would be a fare difference of $760. Thats almost as much as my whole trip.
= The 2nd agent said change fee + fare difference apply.
= The 3rd agent said not even possible because no inventory on the outbound. As if!
= The 4th agent said only pay change fee and waive fair difference.
= And the 5th agent said same thing as the 2nd agent.
= AND finally, 6th agent was a YES! So HUCA was the winning strategy here.

Excited to start and finish in MIA earlier than expected and also enjoy hot meals on the flights which should be a Breakfast service on the outbound and Lunch service on the inbound. Eating a cold wrap, sandwich, salad on the ejets just doesn't seem satisfying enough anymore now. Just my luck Ill get some terrible pasta dish and wish I had the salad or wrap instead.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 8:17 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Congrats on negotiating that change with no additional $$$.

Question: What is HUCA?

The attractive element of this Mileage Run to PTY is the number of options we have, depending on individual expectations and past experience. Some of us want a hot meal but don't mind a "well-aged" 737. Others are okay with cold food, but enjoy the modern environment of the E175.

As long as one is able to do the "run" safely and attain those miles, it's all good. Safe travels, Wanderlust4life. Report back!
Old Oct 16, 2016, 8:26 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VA Gold, BA Gold, HH, SFSC
Originally Posted by jcatman
Congrats on negotiating that change with no additional $$$.

Question: What is HUCA?

The attractive element of this Mileage Run to PTY is the number of options we have, depending on individual expectations and past experience. Some of us want a hot meal but don't mind a "well-aged" 737. Others are okay with cold food, but enjoy the modern environment of the E175.

As long as one is able to do the "run" safely and attain those miles, it's all good. Safe travels, Wanderlust4life. Report back!
Hang Up - Call Again.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 8:44 pm

Location: Loud, dark, warm, lots of ethernet cables, and in some rack space.
Programs: AA:EXP
Originally Posted by jcatman

That reminds me, I did fly the E175 on the inbound/outbound PTY portion. In my opinion it's alright if you read a book or chatter because the wifi drops out after you leave the US area. The wifi, upon departing and still in US sector, offers a partial coverage plan for free access. The plane was modern-ish (we had HVAC issues where ice and water would sometimes spit out, plus a little more chilly), and the food was good.

I took the turkey sandwich option, which was tasty. There is some sort of other option, which was a salad or antipasta. The cheesecake or Crème brûlée desert was probably one of the best deserts I've had on a plane though! If you manage to pick seat 3A, it'll likely be contaminated awhile with my cold/flu I caught the day before taking the run.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by Server
That reminds me, I did fly the E175 on the inbound/outbound PTY portion. In my opinion it's alright if you read a book or chatter because the wifi drops out after you leave the US area. The wifi, upon departing and still in US sector, offers a partial coverage plan for free access. The plane was modern-ish (we had HVAC issues where ice and water would sometimes spit out, plus a little more chilly), and the food was good.

I took the turkey sandwich option, which was tasty. There is some sort of other option, which was a salad or antipasta. The cheesecake or Crème brûlée desert was probably one of the best deserts I've had on a plane though! If you manage to pick seat 3A, it'll likely be contaminated awhile with my cold/flu I caught the day before taking the run.
Oh wow that looks very appetizing. I wouldn't mind having either a cold meal or hot meal. I just like the feeling of hot food at least for lunch on one of the flights but a cold breakfast is the norm for me anyway on the ground so that wouldn't matter. Im actually a massive fan of the e jets because I love the 1 seaters on the left side and more modern fleet. It simply is a win for taking earlier flights for me personally but Id be content if all the flights between MIA and PTY were on e jets.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Remember how I called $500 ghost fares were future fares?
https://goo.gl/flights/wL78

Didn't book, but able to put a test one on hold, so should be bookable.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
The fares are yo yo ing like crazy... 500$, the 1200, then 870...
Old Oct 18, 2016, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by hiima
Remember how I called $500 ghost fares were future fares?
https://goo.gl/flights/wL78

Didn't book, but able to put a test one on hold, so should be bookable.
now $1283...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.