Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

PV Alert: Can I Take Photos at the Checkpoint and Airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PV Alert: Can I Take Photos at the Checkpoint and Airport?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2010, 3:28 pm

contacted CLE re: airport photography policies

Originally Posted by N1Hawk
I was looking through the list of airports and I did not see Cleveland Hopkins on the list. I'm flying out of there in 34 days and was wondering as a tourist am I allowed to take pictures out of that airport?
I don't know. I didn't previously contact CLE, but I did so a minute ago, and I'll post any responses I receive here. If you'd like, you can do the same at http://www.tsa.dhs.gov/gotfeedback/ .
Old Jul 5, 2010, 3:41 pm

Programs: OnePass,MileagePlus
Originally Posted by pmocek
I don't know. I didn't previously contact CLE, but I did so a minute ago, and I'll post any responses I receive here. If you'd like, you can do the same at http://www.tsa.dhs.gov/gotfeedback/ .
Thanks Phil,

I have contacted them and one of us should hopefully get a response soon
Old Jul 6, 2010, 1:06 am

Programs: US Airways Silver
Thanks Phil,

I have contacted them and one of us should hopefully get a response soon
Sir or Ma'am, film away. If they tell you no remind them of this pesky thing we call the first amendment to the constitution. It will probably be these mouth breathers first encounter with this document. Also show them the 14th amendment
"Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."
and "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."
Old Jul 6, 2010, 5:55 am

Just so u know sir I'm Canadian and
I don't think the USA will try to protect
Me. I'm just travelling from Cleveland
Hopkins with the girlfriend that day.
I don't think USA laws will cover me?

Originally Posted by futurectdoc
Sir or Ma'am, film away. If they tell you no remind them of this pesky thing we call the first amendment to the constitution. It will probably be these mouth breathers first encounter with this document. Also show them the 14th amendment
"Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."
and "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."
Old Jul 6, 2010, 8:40 am

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
Just so u know sir I'm Canadian and
I don't think the USA will try to protect
Me. I'm just travelling from Cleveland
Hopkins with the girlfriend that day.
I don't think USA laws will cover me?
You are afforded the same rights under the U.S. Constitution as citizens (with some specific exceptions such as voting or being an elected official, etc.).

The government does not have the power to waive the First Amendment or the Fourth Amendment just because you are not a U.S. citizen.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 8:40 am

U.S. Constitution is supposed to protect everyone from U.S. Gov't abuse

I'm Canadian and I don't think the USA will try to protect Me.
The U.S. Constitution recognizes that all people have certain rights and bars the U.S. Government from infringing upon those rights. These protections are not reserved for any particular group of people. However, the U.S. Transportation Security Administration has a history of operating with very little apparent regard for the bounds within which it is required to operate, and the wheels of justice are only very slowly catching up with TSA. I suspect that U.S. and Canadian citizens are at equal risk of harassment for photographing things that thousands of people observe every day in U.S. airports.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 4:51 pm

Phil,

Any word from Cleveland Hopkins yet? None on my side!

Originally Posted by pmocek
The U.S. Constitution recognizes that all people have certain rights and bars the U.S. Government from infringing upon those rights. These protections are not reserved for any particular group of people. However, the U.S. Transportation Security Administration has a history of operating with very little apparent regard for the bounds within which it is required to operate, and the wheels of justice are only very slowly catching up with TSA. I suspect that U.S. and Canadian citizens are at equal risk of harassment for photographing things that thousands of people observe every day in U.S. airports.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 9:00 pm

Any word from Cleveland Hopkins yet?
No.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 4:38 pm

Finally got a response from Cleveland Hopkins today:

Mr. Hall,

I do not have authority to say no to your request. It does not violate
federal law. If you do take pictures, I would be prepared to answer
questions by Cleveland Police or other law enforcement entities as this
activity may lead to questions.

Cleveland welcomes its visitors and wishes for their visit to be
pleasant. However airports are sensitive locations. Obviously you are
aware of this sensitivity. I am forwarding your email to the appropriate
director at the airport for any addition information he may feel would
be helpful to you.

Todd,
I thought you should be aware of the below request and my response.

Douglas Koman
TSA - Stakeholder Manager
Cleveland, Ohio
[email protected]
216 / 201- 2548
Old Jul 14, 2010, 8:38 am

Finally got a response from Cleveland Hopkins today:
I haven't received a response to my "Got Feedback?" inquiry. I'd like to respond to the response you received, N1Hawk. Can you explain the relationship between Douglas Koman and Todd in the above message? It looks like one copied the other on a response to you, and that your last name is Hall.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 9:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA, DL Gold, ANA Plat
Get real, Bruce. If one wants to disrupt and kill at the airport, attacking the security area pre-inspection is perfect. Not only would they take a few out, it would shut down operations indefinately. Pics don't change that.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA, HH, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Platinum, UA, DL, US
I'm charging up the Sony vidcam for my trip Tuesday- Friday BDL-CMH-BDL. Plan to opt out as necessary and so will my partner. Plan to film every second of it and pass off camera as necessary in order to comply with "you can't have any item on your person" bs. I promise to post video after the trip should we get 'selected.'
Old Nov 24, 2010, 5:54 pm

Regarding the statement from the BWI manager: "There are signs posted at our checkpoints. stating that taking photos or video's at the checkpoint is prohibited COMAR 11.03.01.09B(2)"

COMAR is the Code of Maryland Regulations. It's administrative law, not criminal law. Here is a link to the Code:

http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/com...1.03.01.09.htm

COMAR 11.03.01.09B(2) simple says:
(2) Interference with security procedures or violation of security regulations or directives is prohibited.

It is not a prohibition against photography, and it's quite a stretch for BWI airport to make the claim that this regulation prohibits casual photography of checkpoints. If you were cited for violation of a COMAR regulation, you would be "tried" by the Maryland Office of Administrative Hearings, http://www.oah.state.md.us.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by txrus
Plenty of reasons. As I exited the AA side of Terminal B @ BOS a few years ago, I saw 2 teenaged girls being 'screened' by a middle-aged male screener who felt the need to run his hand down the zipper of one girl's jeans while she assumed 'the position'. I don't care if it was w/the back of his hand, he had absolutely no business going there. Or the screener @ LAX who, while hand-searching checked baggage, stopped to pick his nose (in the middle of T4 right in front of the passengers). Or his buddies, on another trip, who were taking belongings out of the checked bags, waving them around, & laughing.
I say this with a complete lack of sarcasm - you'd probably get more professionalism out of McDonalds employees. I'd bet on my kids lives that you'd get more professionalism from any retail store worker. And they put these people in charge of machines that emit radiation and doing body searches on people with serious medical conditions? I mean, someone that picks their nose in public while going through luggage is something I would expect from a mentally ill grocery bagger or something? I am being completely serious. I hate to generalize but a lot of these clerks sound like (and look like, sorry but someone has to say it) losers of the utmost degree. Where are they finding these people?
Old Nov 25, 2010, 12:16 pm

San Diego Airport has SPECIFIC rules prohibiting photography!

Rule 7.14 states:

(a) No person shall take still, motion or sound motion pictures or voice recordings on the facilities and airports under the jurisdiction of the San Diego County Regional Airport Authority (the “Authority”) without written permission from the Authority’s Executive Director or his or her designee.

(b) Filming of X-ray equipment located on the facilities and airports under the jurisdiction of the Authority is strictly prohibited. Any person(s) caught filming such X-ray equipment may have their film confiscated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.