Acceptable ID

Old Apr 22, 08, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Acceptable ID

i have not been able to find what constitutes acceptable id on the tsa website. i did bungle onto this, dated 02/06/08, which is for their "enrollment process"

http://www.tsa.gov/assets/pdf/approv...ation_docs.pdf

does that work for getting on the plane. it would be nice to be carrying some expendable documents in one's carry-on if one's drivers license is disappeared.
Old Apr 22, 08, 12:50 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
You don't need any ID to get on a plane. As long as a secondary doesn't bother you.
Old Apr 22, 08, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler
other forms

At least from my experience, SSN card or credit card (anything with my name on it) would also be acceptable. I am going to use my latest electric bill the next time i fly.
Old Apr 22, 08, 3:07 pm

Programs: ex-AA EXP, DL GM, ex-1k SPG Plat
Let me know how SSN card and Bill go wouldn't mind going no ID on a NYC->IAD flight.

Originally Posted by Joseph.doakes View Post
At least from my experience, SSN card or credit card (anything with my name on it) would also be acceptable. I am going to use my latest electric bill the next time i fly.
Old Apr 22, 08, 3:13 pm

Programs: DL, NW Silver Elite, Hilton
Originally Posted by SMF TSO View Post
Government-issued photo i.d. (if you want to avoid secondary screening), i.e. driver's license, passport, public university photo i.d. card, visa, government employee i.d.
Government photo ID and I still got secondary. I had lost my DL.
Old Apr 22, 08, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by Joseph.doakes View Post
At least from my experience, SSN card ... would also be acceptable.
Man, there's some potential for hilarity there if that works. I have one of the older SSN cards, which says clearly along the bottom that it "shall not be used for identification purposes" (I'm given to understand that more-recent cards don't say that anymore). It'd be worth every minute of hassling I'd get if I ever used it, had it accepted, and then asked the TSO why he would accept a card for ID purposes which clearly states on it's face that it CAN'T be used for that.

Of course, it's not a photo ID, so it'd probably flunk on that anyways.
Old Apr 22, 08, 7:30 pm

Government-issued photo i.d. (if you want to avoid secondary screening), i.e. driver's license, passport, public university photo i.d. card, visa, government employee i.d.
(emphasis mine)
Really? My state university college ID only said my name and student number. No mention of valid dates. Would that ID be accepted even though DLs must not be expired?
Old Apr 22, 08, 9:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, EK Silver
Supposedly. I've been denied before with state college IDs, city government employee ID, and last one- state government employee ID. I like to try new IDs each time to see what causes me to get asked, "don't you have driver's license."
Old Apr 22, 08, 9:33 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by gj83 View Post
My state university college ID only said my name and student number. No mention of valid dates. Would that ID be accepted even though DLs must not be expired?
I've used my student ID and so far no issue has been made about lack of inspiration date ... however, my ID has a transit sticker affixed to the front and is currently good through end of June. It's possible that this is mistaken for some sort of "proof of enrollment" through June 08. Alternatively, it would be easy enough to Photoshop some sort of "paid tuition" stub to stick on the back of your ID, like we used to have in the good old days.
Old Apr 22, 08, 10:08 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by gj83 View Post
(emphasis mine)
Really? My state university college ID only said my name and student number. No mention of valid dates. Would that ID be accepted even though DLs must not be expired?
Does your identity expire? No (except when you expire or legally change your name). As long as the photo matches the ID, what's the problem?

Perhaps one could ask the university to put an expiration date in 2108.
Old Apr 23, 08, 8:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by essxjay View Post
I've used my student ID and so far no issue has been made about lack of inspiration date ... however, my ID has a transit sticker affixed to the front and is currently good through end of June. It's possible that this is mistaken for some sort of "proof of enrollment" through June 08. Alternatively, it would be easy enough to Photoshop some sort of "paid tuition" stub to stick on the back of your ID, like we used to have in the good old days.
So a sticker on a college ID is OK, but additional pages inserted into a US Passport make it "modified" and therefore unacceptable?? Awesome.
Old Apr 23, 08, 9:57 am

That's what I keep saying. But no one seems to care what I think.
Actually your TSA screener brethren in Panama City (PFN) do not think that a US Military ID is good enough government ID either. I'd like to meet someday the TSA screener who does not think so. Or perhaps that was the SOP of the first 30 minutes of the hour?

You really do have a tough job SMF TSO. Not with the passengers, but with how other TSA screeners treat the passengers which is then associated on you.

Back in November 1980 I had a job offer as a US Border Patrol agent for Marfa, Texas. I would suggest you consider the same.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/careers/c...order_careers/
Old Apr 23, 08, 1:14 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
So a sticker on a college ID is OK, but additional pages inserted into a US Passport make it "modified" and therefore unacceptable?? Awesome.
Yup. "Rulez is rulez" mentality substitutes for critical thinking and analysis ... at our peril.
Old Apr 24, 08, 11:42 am

Hmm, did you guys look at the top of that link? The document describes the identification needed to apply for a job at the TSA. It doesn't concern boarding a plane.
Old Apr 24, 08, 12:28 pm
Oxb

Programs: Earthling, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by lkfl View Post
Hmm, did you guys look at the top of that link? The document describes the identification needed to apply for a job at the TSA. It doesn't concern boarding a plane.

So, an expired passport is good enough to get a job with TSA (actually for a TWIC) but not good enough to get on a plane?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: