FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Acceptable ID (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/815893-acceptable-id.html)

slawecki Apr 22, 2008 9:12 am

Acceptable ID

i have not been able to find what constitutes acceptable id on the tsa website. i did bungle onto this, dated 02/06/08, which is for their "enrollment process"

http://www.tsa.gov/assets/pdf/approv...ation_docs.pdf

does that work for getting on the plane. it would be nice to be carrying some expendable documents in one's carry-on if one's drivers license is disappeared.

TheRoadie Apr 22, 2008 11:50 am

You don't need any ID to get on a plane. As long as a secondary doesn't bother you.

Joseph.doakes Apr 22, 2008 12:34 pm

other forms

At least from my experience, SSN card or credit card (anything with my name on it) would also be acceptable. I am going to use my latest electric bill the next time i fly.

GaLupo Apr 22, 2008 2:07 pm

Let me know how SSN card and Bill go wouldn't mind going no ID on a NYC->IAD flight.

Originally Posted by Joseph.doakes (Post 9615179)
At least from my experience, SSN card or credit card (anything with my name on it) would also be acceptable. I am going to use my latest electric bill the next time i fly.

aucarol Apr 22, 2008 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by SMF TSO (Post 9615088)
Government-issued photo i.d. (if you want to avoid secondary screening), i.e. driver's license, passport, public university photo i.d. card, visa, government employee i.d.

Government photo ID and I still got secondary. I had lost my DL.

erictank Apr 22, 2008 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by Joseph.doakes (Post 9615179)
At least from my experience, SSN card ... would also be acceptable.

Man, there's some potential for hilarity there if that works. I have one of the older SSN cards, which says clearly along the bottom that it "shall not be used for identification purposes" (I'm given to understand that more-recent cards don't say that anymore). It'd be worth every minute of hassling I'd get if I ever used it, had it accepted, and then asked the TSO why he would accept a card for ID purposes which clearly states on it's face that it CAN'T be used for that.

Of course, it's not a photo ID, so it'd probably flunk on that anyways.

gj83 Apr 22, 2008 6:30 pm

Government-issued photo i.d. (if you want to avoid secondary screening), i.e. driver's license, passport, public university photo i.d. card, visa, government employee i.d.

(emphasis mine)
Really? My state university college ID only said my name and student number. No mention of valid dates. Would that ID be accepted even though DLs must not be expired?

sonoranjerseygirl Apr 22, 2008 8:09 pm

Supposedly. I've been denied before with state college IDs, city government employee ID, and last one- state government employee ID. I like to try new IDs each time to see what causes me to get asked, "don't you have driver's license."

essxjay Apr 22, 2008 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by gj83 (Post 9617098)
My state university college ID only said my name and student number. No mention of valid dates. Would that ID be accepted even though DLs must not be expired?

I've used my student ID and so far no issue has been made about lack of inspiration date ... however, my ID has a transit sticker affixed to the front and is currently good through end of June. It's possible that this is mistaken for some sort of "proof of enrollment" through June 08. :rolleyes: Alternatively, it would be easy enough to Photoshop some sort of "paid tuition" stub to stick on the back of your ID, like we used to have in the good old days. ;)

ralfp Apr 22, 2008 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by gj83 (Post 9617098)
(emphasis mine)
Really? My state university college ID only said my name and student number. No mention of valid dates. Would that ID be accepted even though DLs must not be expired?

Does your identity expire? No (except when you expire or legally change your name). As long as the photo matches the ID, what's the problem?

Perhaps one could ask the university to put an expiration date in 2108.

sbm12 Apr 23, 2008 7:29 am

Originally Posted by essxjay (Post 9617609)
I've used my student ID and so far no issue has been made about lack of inspiration date ... however, my ID has a transit sticker affixed to the front and is currently good through end of June. It's possible that this is mistaken for some sort of "proof of enrollment" through June 08. :rolleyes: Alternatively, it would be easy enough to Photoshop some sort of "paid tuition" stub to stick on the back of your ID, like we used to have in the good old days. ;)

So a sticker on a college ID is OK, but additional pages inserted into a US Passport make it "modified" and therefore unacceptable?? :confused: Awesome. :rolleyes:

knotyeagle Apr 23, 2008 8:57 am

Originally Posted by SMF TSO (Post 9619738)
That's what I keep saying. But no one seems to care what I think.

Actually your TSA screener brethren in Panama City (PFN) do not think that a US Military ID is good enough government ID either. I'd like to meet someday the TSA screener who does not think so. Or perhaps that was the SOP of the first 30 minutes of the hour?

You really do have a tough job SMF TSO. Not with the passengers, but with how other TSA screeners treat the passengers which is then associated on you.

Back in November 1980 I had a job offer as a US Border Patrol agent for Marfa, Texas. I would suggest you consider the same.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/careers/c...order_careers/

essxjay Apr 23, 2008 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 9619282)
So a sticker on a college ID is OK, but additional pages inserted into a US Passport make it "modified" and therefore unacceptable?? :confused: Awesome. :rolleyes:

Yup. "Rulez is rulez" mentality substitutes for critical thinking and analysis ... at our peril. :(

lkfl Apr 24, 2008 10:42 am

Hmm, did you guys look at the top of that link? The document describes the identification needed to apply for a job at the TSA. It doesn't concern boarding a plane.

Oxb Apr 24, 2008 11:28 am

Originally Posted by lkfl (Post 9626120)
Hmm, did you guys look at the top of that link? The document describes the identification needed to apply for a job at the TSA. It doesn't concern boarding a plane.

So, an expired passport is good enough to get a job with TSA (actually for a TWIC) but not good enough to get on a plane? :confused: