Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ID Holders

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2007, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by gj83
The more dependent society becomes on ID the easier it becomes to get accidentally blacklisted. We have limited recourse right now against the black list.

First our ID must always be presented. Then it must be a standard ID. Then if you don't get a standard ID you are not able to fully partake in society. Then even if you have the standard ID you get blacklisted and told "too bad, fill out this form and wait".

My personal example: I'm just a normal person. When I go to Canada and they see my valid passport they let me in no problem. If they actually swipe my passport I've been flagged and get sent to secondary. If a person uses their own discretion I seem like a normal person, but the computer thinks I'm up to no good. I'm sure Canada's grievance process is as bad as the US's so I haven't bothered.

I don't want to live in a papers please society. First TSA is asking to "present ID", then they want to "handle and investigate" the ID, next it will be swiping and verifying with a centralized database.

I'm not even getting into 1984-esq stuff. I'm just talking about the Real ID stuff coming.
Actually a good portion of that has already happened. At Fort Lauderdale International (FLL) Broward County Sheriff's Deputy Schmidt will tell you that your US Passport is not considered "valid ID" and that the State of Florida law says that you are required to show your driver's license when asked by a law enforcement officer. He is lying on both accounts.

Next time you have a chance to talk with the Broward County deputies at FLL ask them if it still their policy to lie about what is required ID or not.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 3:08 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by knotyeagle
Actually a good portion of that has already happened. At Fort Lauderdale International (FLL) Broward County Sheriff's Deputy Schmidt will tell you that your US Passport is not considered "valid ID" and that the State of Florida law says that you are required to show your driver's license when asked by a law enforcement officer. He is lying on both accounts.

Next time you have a chance to talk with the Broward County deputies at FLL ask them if it still their policy to lie about what is required ID or not.
Just a FYI, Real ID has been postponed... for more details, go here:
http://www.realnightmare.org/
Old Nov 16, 2007, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bart
It's called an ID holder. It is designed to hold the ID. The correct procedure when presenting an identification card is to physically hand the card over to the person who needs to inspect it. This stems from the tradition of a visiting emissary presenting his credentials to a king as proof of identity. The document was physically handed over to the person who verified its authenticity.
Heretofore I have always allowed the TSA to inspect my passport (out of its folder) while I hold it. Are they now going to insist on fondling it as well?
Old Nov 16, 2007, 3:59 pm
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
Originally Posted by birdstrike
Are they now going to insist on fondling it as well?
Better they insist on fondling the passport than the person.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 4:02 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by rightseat
Why is it so hard to show your ID?
It isn't. But it is a needless hassle that some here find particularly annoying.

Since ID isn't required to fly, what possible purpose is served by badgering people to present it out of the holder?

Honestly, this is childish.
You're certainly entitled to your opinion.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Hvr
Best if they don't fondle either though.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 4:15 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by Hvr
But that would allow me to use John Candy's Christmas Goose line from Armed and Dangerous
Old Nov 16, 2007, 4:17 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by knotyeagle

"Sorry Deputy,

I dont drive."
Old Nov 17, 2007, 1:31 am

Programs: Starwood, HHonors
Originally Posted by essxjay
It isn't. But it is a needless hassle that some here find particularly annoying.

Since ID isn't required to fly, what possible purpose is served by badgering people to present it out of the holder?
I'm thinking to see if it is faked, and send them to SSSS with all the other no ID folks.
Old Nov 17, 2007, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm thinking to see if it is faked, and send them to SSSS with all the other no ID folks.
Except they call a LEO instead.
Old Nov 17, 2007, 3:51 pm

Programs: Continental, Delta, United
It's called an ID holder. It is designed to hold the ID. The correct procedure when presenting an identification card is to physically hand the card over to the person who needs to inspect it. This stems from the tradition of a visiting emissary presenting his credentials to a king as proof of identity. The document was physically handed over to the person who verified its authenticity.

As pointed out by thegeneral, try getting cute with a police officer bickering over an ID holder and see what happens.
In Addition, many IDs are larger than the holder window, making it difficult to see Expiration dates and complete names. Given the UV Lights and magnifying glasses, I'm guessing the plastic could interfere with seeing anything. There is also the concern that something turns up missing. Simpler and safer to request that the IDbe taken out of the holder. It is more efficient in the long run. I used to make people take off their sunglasses too. It makes a big difference when comparing to the Photo.
Old Nov 17, 2007, 10:12 pm
Original Member

How is the TSAer able to ascertain the validity a particular piece of ID presented, given that there are thousands of possible forms of ID used in the world? IOW, how does non-expert in document construction distinguish an excellently forged document from a legitimately-obtained and issued one, w/o prior knowledge of the basis for "real" and "fake"? And how does a ID checker determine whether a particular piece of ID was issued under false pretenses, i.e. one that is "fake?"

The distinctions I'm attempting to draw here are twofold: 1) between real and fake documents; and 2) between real and fake identities (the person as themselves vs. pretending to be someone else).

And then even if ID is presented and then if the TSAer cannot ascertain the validity or falsity of the ID, the pax can still get send to secondary? That doesn't seem efficient or fair.
Old Nov 17, 2007, 10:17 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by XGSC
There is also the concern that something turns up missing.
Such as?

Simpler and safer to request that the IDbe taken out of the holder.
How so?

It is more efficient in the long run.
Exactly how does matching ID to a BP make the process for screening weapons and explosives more efficient? In the long run, that is?
Old Nov 18, 2007, 12:19 am

a. We no longer live in a monarchy, though GWB may think he's the king;
b. 99+% of the time, the TSA agent has NO IDEA whether the ID is authentic or not
c. I'd prefer to spend the billions burnt checking IDs on actual security, please.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 12:56 am

Programs: Starwood, HHonors
Originally Posted by essxjay
How is the TSAer able to ascertain the validity a particular piece of ID presented, given that there are thousands of possible forms of ID used in the world? IOW, how does non-expert in document construction distinguish an excellently forged document from a legitimately-obtained and issued one, w/o prior knowledge of the basis for "real" and "fake"? And how does a ID checker determine whether a particular piece of ID was issued under false pretenses, i.e. one that is "fake?"

The distinctions I'm attempting to draw here are twofold: 1) between real and fake documents; and 2) between real and fake identities (the person as themselves vs. pretending to be someone else).

And then even if ID is presented and then if the TSAer cannot ascertain the validity or falsity of the ID, the pax can still get send to secondary? That doesn't seem efficient or fair.
Easy, my statement was not fact. I was simply adding a possible reason as to why the TSA agent would like to see an ID out of it's holder.

I'm sure no agent could spot the difference between a "good" fake and the real deal. But, it's more likely they could spot a "poor" fake outside of a holder rather than inside it.

Secondary Screening is a joke, but it's the cost of flying in 2007. We have to deal with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.