CLEAR coming to ATL

Old Jul 17, 2007, 2:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, HH - Gold, MR - Plat, IHG - Plat, UA
Exclamation CLEAR coming to ATL

Per the following story in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution:
http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/met...port_0716.html

It seems that they will be test running CLEAR in ATL this fall.

How many of the FTers would be willing (or currently are) to shell out the $100 to use this service?

Delta's response was interesting:
Delta Airlines which laready has special lanes at Hatsfileld-Jackson to speed its medallion and first-class passengers to the front of the security line, is dubious. Delta books about 70 percent of the airport's flights.

"From what we've seen, where this has been tested at other airports, it doesn't offer the level of benefit people expect," said Delta spokesman Kent Landers. "It would result in increased wait times for most customers, and could result in the elimination of dedicated lines for premium customers.
"

I want to sign up!!!!!
Old Jul 17, 2007, 3:04 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I don't. I refuse to pay "protection money" into this kind of stupid program and am glad to hear above that DL is not so eager about it either.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 3:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I don't. I refuse to pay "protection money" into this kind of stupid program and am glad to hear above that DL is not so eager about it either.
Wow! I don't see this as "protection money" at all. I see it as paying for enhanced/expedited service. Much as one would pay for a FC ticket or FedEx over USPS or Daily parking over economy.

As one who flies out of ATL more than 45 weeks a year, this could offer me enormous time savings - well worth the money IMHO.

And I don't understand Delta's threat to eliminate the Medallion line - if this program reduces the load on the Medallion line - then Delta and its customers benefit without Delta having to pay for or DO anything. I have seen the Medallion line snake all the way down into baggage claim on a Monday morning - and per another thread, hi-tail it over to the North concourse to either the elite line there or the T-Gate line.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 3:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by KCnAtl
Wow! I don't see this as "protection money" at all. I see it as paying for enhanced/expedited service. Much as one would pay for a FC ticket or FedEx over USPS or Daily parking over economy.

As one who flies out of ATL more than 45 weeks a year, this could offer me enormous time savings - well worth the money IMHO.

And I don't understand Delta's threat to eliminate the Medallion line - if this program reduces the load on the Medallion line - then Delta and its customers benefit without Delta having to pay for or DO anything. I have seen the Medallion line snake all the way down into baggage claim on a Monday morning - and per another thread, hi-tail it over to the North concourse to either the elite line there or the T-Gate line.
If everyone signs up for one of these "protection money" rackets and all who qualify get in, then all we'll end up with is a copy of what we have now but with a lot more private information in the hands of parties that can't necessarily be trusted to handle it well. Perhaps for some interim period a CLEAR-type arrangement will enhance your experience, but it won't do that for me -- especially if it comes at the expense of the airlines' current premium traveller (i.e., frequent flyer status and business/first class) security lines.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 3:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
If everyone signs up for one of these "protection money" rackets and all who qualify get in, then all we'll end up with is a copy of what we have now but with a lot more private information in the hands of parties that can't necessarily be trusted to handle it well. Perhaps for some interim period a CLEAR-type arrangement will enhance your experience, but it won't do that for me -- especially if it comes at the expense of the airlines' current premium traveller (i.e., frequent flyer status and business/first class) security lines.
I am still puzzled as to why you insist on calling it "protection money".

Regarding who has this information - face it, this information is already out there and the government isn't all that adept at protecting it - look at the numerous stories on laptops stolen from gov't employees containing 10's of thousands of SSANs.

I certainly would not want a program like this to increase the inconvenience to other pax and should the demand exceed the capacity, then I am always free not to renew the service. One of the things I would look at before signing up, would be the the SLA and any annual limits on numbers of subscribers allowed.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 6:40 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles PM
Clear Program

These programs have been coming for over two years. Seems to be taking a long time to get traction. Perhaps it has something to do with these programs being offered by different companies with limited airports that it is offered at. I keep trying to understand how it offers a benefit. Lets see a single specialized line with it own screaning equipment. When you have one special line that line can just as easily become clogged with people, and if there is a holdup in it, there is no other alternative. You still get screaned the same way as other flyers. Some programs offer a few other perks, such as preferred parking spaces.

Will wait an see how the program is running at JAX.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 7:12 am

Programs: DL GM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, GPP Silver
I don't really see the advantage of this program at ATL other than you get to keep your shoes on and maybe your coat on through secruity. With the Medallion lines already in operation it seems a bit redundant. If DL did ditch the Medallion Lanes as a result of this program it would be just one more devaluation of the program. That is unless DL decided to comp. thier GM, PM, and FCs into this program .
Old Jul 17, 2007, 7:14 am

Concerns about CLEAR

I think there are legitimate concerns about privacy with a company like CLEAR.

I think there are other concerns about if CLEAR and DL can co-exist.

Rumor has it that once CLEAR came to Orlando, that was the demise of the PL/GD elite lane through security.

As someone who goes in/out of ATL almost on a weekly basis, the elite line is a great thing (except first thing on Mondays!). I don't want to see CLEAR strong arm the airlines and telling them they have to get rid of their elite lines.

IF CLEAR and DL can co-exist and IF Clear can demonstrate responsibility in securing peoples' biometric data, THEN it could be a good thing for pax travelling in/out of ATL.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 7:17 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by KCnAtl
You're right. It's not "protection money". It's extortion.

The government should not be permitted to know who travels domestically. It is none of their business.

Furthermore, no one should have to take off their shoes unless they alarm at the WTMD.

Anyone who signs up for Extorted Traveler and does not get to bypass screening completely ala law enforcement is getting ripped off. That's the minimum that should be afforded to someone who trades his/her money and personal information for this disgusting program.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 7:34 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by Spiff
Furthermore, no one should have to take off their shoes unless they alarm at the WTMD.
Spiff, I don't think that it is metal in the shoes that airline pax need to be concerned about, but explosives.

As for this program, here are my thoughts: If someone were to design a program that worked at most of the major airports in the country, a dedicated frequent traveler security program, then I'd vote for that. If you do not want anyone keeping track of where and when you fly, then opt out of the program. Of course, there already is a program that keeps track of where and when I fly: Delta SkyMiles!
Old Jul 17, 2007, 7:44 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by ridgwayk
I think there are legitimate concerns about privacy with a company like CLEAR.

I think there are other concerns about if CLEAR and DL can co-exist.

Rumor has it that once CLEAR came to Orlando, that was the demise of the PL/GD elite lane through security.

As someone who goes in/out of ATL almost on a weekly basis, the elite line is a great thing (except first thing on Mondays!). I don't want to see CLEAR strong arm the airlines and telling them they have to get rid of their elite lines.

IF CLEAR and DL can co-exist and IF Clear can demonstrate responsibility in securing peoples' biometric data, THEN it could be a good thing for pax travelling in/out of ATL.
Two comments:

1) One of the founders of the company behind CLEAR made a fortune in advertising, media, and marketing. "personalization of content" and "knowing the personal characteristics of the audience" are cornerstones of media & marketing. 'nuff said.

2) The pressure will be on the airport to eliminate the elite lines. In most cases, a company that wants to operate a concession at an airport must pay money to the airport authority. Most airport authorities are money-grubbing. Ergo, the more flyers using CLEAR, the more money to the airport, and the more incentive the airport has to eliminate elite lines in favor of CLEAR. Delta is NOT pulling out of Atlanta, so unless DL's contract with the airport authority gives them some say in the security lines, all the leverage is with the airport.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 7:45 am

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Originally Posted by Spiff
You're right. It's not "protection money". It's extortion.

The government should not be permitted to know who travels domestically. It is none of their business.
Well, don't sign up. I wouldnt either. I have no problems with security wait times. FC lines do fine for me.

You're right that it is none of the government's business to know who travels domestically unless someone opts in. If they do, that is that person's business and we of course have no right to act as big brother to tell them they can not opt in if they choose.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 9:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DrivingRain
Well, don't sign up. I wouldnt either. I have no problems with security wait times. FC lines do fine for me.

You're right that it is none of the government's business to know who travels domestically unless someone opts in. If they do, that is that person's business and we of course have no right to act as big brother to tell them they can not opt in if they choose.
True .... but when the trade off is generally going to be between a gov't-private party collusion to extort money or suffer a worse experience than is currently the case (i.e., airport authority + CLEAR-type companies push out the premium traveller airline security lines), then we of course have every right to do what we legally can to resist this kind of CLEAR nonsense.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 10:06 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
2) The pressure will be on the airport to eliminate the elite lines. In most cases, a company that wants to operate a concession at an airport must pay money to the airport authority. Most airport authorities are money-grubbing. Ergo, the more flyers using CLEAR, the more money to the airport, and the more incentive the airport has to eliminate elite lines in favor of CLEAR. Delta is NOT pulling out of Atlanta, so unless DL's contract with the airport authority gives them some say in the security lines, all the leverage is with the airport.
Disagree. When you have a tenant/client like DL in ATL, you want to keep them happy. Sure, DL isn't leaving ATL, but the airport authority has to work with DL in a million ways about a million different things... any $$ brought in by CLEAR will be a drop in the bucket when compared to DL.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 10:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RobertS975
Disagree. When you have a tenant/client like DL in ATL, you want to keep them happy. Sure, DL isn't leaving ATL, but the airport authority has to work with DL in a million ways about a million different things... any $$ brought in by CLEAR will be a drop in the bucket when compared to DL.
ATL airport management can probably pretty much count on DL remaining a client regardless of what deal the ATL airport enters into with CLEAR -- and so the ATL airport management won't necessarily be disincentivized from placating the likes of CLEAR management even if it (i.e., a CLEAR-ATL deal) conceivably wins no fancy from DL management.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.