FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CLEAR coming to ATL
View Single Post
Old Jul 17, 2007, 7:44 am
Global_Hi_Flyer

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by ridgwayk
I think there are legitimate concerns about privacy with a company like CLEAR.

I think there are other concerns about if CLEAR and DL can co-exist.

Rumor has it that once CLEAR came to Orlando, that was the demise of the PL/GD elite lane through security.

As someone who goes in/out of ATL almost on a weekly basis, the elite line is a great thing (except first thing on Mondays!). I don't want to see CLEAR strong arm the airlines and telling them they have to get rid of their elite lines.

IF CLEAR and DL can co-exist and IF Clear can demonstrate responsibility in securing peoples' biometric data, THEN it could be a good thing for pax travelling in/out of ATL.
Two comments:

1) One of the founders of the company behind CLEAR made a fortune in advertising, media, and marketing. "personalization of content" and "knowing the personal characteristics of the audience" are cornerstones of media & marketing. 'nuff said.

2) The pressure will be on the airport to eliminate the elite lines. In most cases, a company that wants to operate a concession at an airport must pay money to the airport authority. Most airport authorities are money-grubbing. Ergo, the more flyers using CLEAR, the more money to the airport, and the more incentive the airport has to eliminate elite lines in favor of CLEAR. Delta is NOT pulling out of Atlanta, so unless DL's contract with the airport authority gives them some say in the security lines, all the leverage is with the airport.