Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CLEAR coming to ATL

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2007, 11:43 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Delta Air Lines and the SkyMiles frequent flier program have little to do with this topic, which is why the new home for this thread is the Travel Safety/Security forum.

Regards,

Canarsie
Co-Moderator, Delta forum
Old Jul 17, 2007, 11:51 am

I would wait to see how the CLEAR lanes loads are. As of now, the Medallion/F lane is always . Once you pass the ID checker, you still have a ways to go and manage to cut infront of the Y class line.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 11:55 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
I agree with Spiff that it is extortion. I'm thankful I can by pass or if flying use the employee line.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 12:03 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I don't. I refuse to pay "protection money" into this kind of stupid program and am glad to hear above that DL is not so eager about it either.
i completely agree.

now, a private agency in conjunction with the federal gub'ment runs clear, right? how well do you trust the gub'ment with your personal data let alone a private/quasi-gub'ment agency? just think of the lawrence/livermore labs...they have had more data security breaches (and most due to stupidy such as lost/stolen laptops) than carter has pills-but what's a bigger joke is that they keep getting their gov't contract by having the winning bid . i can't wait for there to be either a problem with clear's data being lost, stolen or otherwise compromised or even better, someone using i/d theft gets on clear-or better yet, someone on the nfl gets on it. any guesses as to what happens then? wait for it.....wait for it.....wait for it.......absolutely nothing other than clear will offer you a free 1 year subscription to a credit monitoring service (and folks, they are useless as you know what on a bull) .
Old Jul 17, 2007, 12:04 pm

The company that runs a registered traveler program at nine airports across the nation will propose a Hartsfield-Jackson lane with special shoe-scanning equipment that allows travelers to keep their shoes on. Steven Brill, CEO of Verified Identity Pass Inc., said his company's CLEAR program is also testing equipment that will let passengers retain their coats — equipment he hopes to have in place by Labor Day.
Special shoe-scanning equipment and a machine to permit coats to stay on? Hey Kip, why isn't the TSA deploying this?
Old Jul 17, 2007, 12:09 pm
In Memoriam

When and where can I sign up? ^
Old Jul 17, 2007, 12:12 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by RobertS975
Spiff, I don't think that it is metal in the shoes that airline pax need to be concerned about, but explosives.

As for this program, here are my thoughts: If someone were to design a program that worked at most of the major airports in the country, a dedicated frequent traveler security program, then I'd vote for that. If you do not want anyone keeping track of where and when you fly, then opt out of the program. Of course, there already is a program that keeps track of where and when I fly: Delta SkyMiles!
Explosives can be placed in undergarments or body cavities. Searching shoes is stupid, pointless, harassment.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 12:32 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by ND Sol
The company that runs a registered traveler program at nine airports across the nation will propose a Hartsfield-Jackson lane with special shoe-scanning equipment that allows travelers to keep their shoes on. Steven Brill, CEO of Verified Identity Pass Inc., said his company's CLEAR program is also testing equipment that will let passengers retain their coats — equipment he hopes to have in place by Labor Day.
Special shoe-scanning equipment and a machine to permit coats to stay on? Hey Kip, why isn't the TSA deploying this?
becasue if the tee-ess-ay did it, then no one woould make any money other than the company that sells the machines. if clear does it, then a private company gets to price gouge right up there with the oil companies.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 2:23 pm

I am a Clear member since I fly out of Orlando 40+ weeks a year. I am banking on the fact that most of the tourists that fly through will not have Clear. I am usually out of security in about 5 minutes. Early Monday a.m. is a nightmare at security. The line snakes back and forth through the main hallway.

The shoe scanner they have lets me keep on my shoes if they don't have metal in them, but that is minor.

But the $ is worth it since I don't have to deal with the funnel of 3-5 ID checkers (some on their cell phones) merging into a very narrow, single lane to then be spread back out into how ever many security lanes they have open. All the while having to watch out for the employee cross traffic that comes flying through the line.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 2:25 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by underpressure
When and where can I sign up? ^
You and your money can be parted at MCO, IND, EWR, soon ATL, and probably other airports that have Extorted Traveler carnys.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To those of you who are eager to surrender your biometrics to The G and want to line the pockets of people who get rich off of 3,000 dead Americans in the name of saving one or two minutes, you might want to read these stories.

You still can get the complete busineSSSS

There's a good chance you'll still have to remove your shoes, anyway.

Your Clear ID card will be as useful as toilet paper, as you'll still have to show ID.

Enjoy your benefits!
Old Jul 18, 2007, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Read the fine print

When I first read about the MCO Clear program I went to their web site and read the fine print. The one that made the whole thing worthless was something to the effect that the "fast track" benefits like keeping shoes on etc. would be suspended whenever the Threat Level is IIRC Orange or higher. Has this changed? We are on a permanent Orange level or higher for the rest of eternity as HS cries "The sky is falling. Al Kider's Coming!" Don't know if ATL will have different rules, but in MCO the only benefit of buying Clear was replacing a $100 bill in your pocket with a piece of plastic. Other than that, nothing.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 12:35 pm

OK, let's see ... we (the geniuses running the US) eliminated private companies from airport screening because they did such a piss-poor job. Now we are going to bring back private screening companies because they can do a better job. Is CLEAR run by the same dude who ran that biggest screening company before they got kicked out?

It all goes in circles.

Edward
Old Apr 21, 2008, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Sorry to bump a thread almost a year old, but...didn't wanna get b!tched at for not 'do(ing) a search!'

Any news on this front? WILL Clear be adding ATL? Any news on what became of the 'test' or if it ever materialized?
Old Apr 21, 2008, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ExCrew
Sorry to bump a thread almost a year old, but...didn't wanna get b!tched at for not 'do(ing) a search!'

Any news on this front? WILL Clear be adding ATL? Any news on what became of the 'test' or if it ever materialized?
Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta, the world's busiest airport, said Friday that it will postpone its plans to establish Registered Traveler lanes. Instead, the airport will add four security lanes, bringing the total to 32, by the end of summer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.