Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Man violently assaulted by airport police for leaving MSP by bicycle

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Man violently assaulted by airport police for leaving MSP by bicycle

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2008, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
It's time for a few cops to wake up & smell the roses.
Wait a tic, what's that I smell?? Roses?
Old Oct 28, 2008, 8:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
From the NY Times: Not Suspicious To Flee Police, Judge Declares

I believe there was a similar decision in MN a while back, too. It's time for a few cops to wake up & smell the roses.
*Sigh*...those were the days when Judges actually followed the law instead of re-writing it from the bench to suit their own political agenda or other motivations.

I recall one such courageous Judge in NY who threw out an illegal search of a trunk (which resulted in a huge haul of drugs) on the grounds that the search clearly violated the 4th Amendment.

Even Slick Willy Clinton himself went on record calling for the Judge's immediate removal, but the good Judge stood firm and told his critics to go whizz off. I wonder where he is now.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 8:42 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I recall one such courageous Judge in NY who threw out an illegal search of a trunk (which resulted in a huge haul of drugs) on the grounds that the search clearly violated the 4th Amendment.

Did you click on the link? Isn't this the case the article is about? In 1996?
Old Oct 28, 2008, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by law dawg
You post an article from 1996 and expect to be taken seriously?

<HELLO TIME TRAVELER! THE YEAR IS 2008!>
Court cases dated farther back are cited in judges' decisions all the time. As an LEO, you should know that. Terry v. Ohio ring a bell?
Old Oct 28, 2008, 10:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Ari

Did you click on the link? Isn't this the case the article is about? In 1996?
That's one such case. I was discussing another - a Hispanic woman pulled over on or near the Brooklyn Bridge and searched illegally.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 9:23 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
You post an article from 1996 and expect to be taken seriously?

<HELLO TIME TRAVELER! THE YEAR IS 2008!>
From which I infer you believe that police behavior has improved in the intervening 10 years, and the abuses are now fewer than they were then. Which would require ignoring 9/11 and the ensuing fallout; see: Patriot Act, War on Terror®, "everything changed", "Keeping Us Safe®", yadda, yadda.

Not my assessment.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Superguy
Court cases dated farther back are cited in judges' decisions all the time. As an LEO, you should know that. Terry v. Ohio ring a bell?
Not when the case law has since radically changed.

A judge saying it's "not suspicious to flee the police" is direct contrast to Wardlow, which says -

"In this case, moreover, it was also Wardlow’s unprovoked flight that aroused the officers’ suspicion. Nervous, evasive behavior is another pertinent factor in determining reasonable suspicion, e.g., United States v. Brignoni-Ponce, 422 U.S. 873, 885, and headlong flight is the consummate act of evasion."

So yeah, the date makes a big difference here, seeing as how Wardlow was argued in 1999 and decided in 2000.

It's called new case law. Citing old case law after new case law has been established and then telling people to "wake up and smell the roses" is silly, at best.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
From which I infer you believe that police behavior has improved in the intervening 10 years, and the abuses are now fewer than they were then. Which would require ignoring 9/11 and the ensuing fallout; see: Patriot Act, War on Terror®, "everything changed", "Keeping Us Safe®", yadda, yadda.

Not my assessment.
By that I mean the case law has changed. When case law changes, you can't go back and cite old case law as prima facia evidence to support your claim. You particularly can't do it and then tell people to clean up their act because it's been proven you can't do it.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 10:22 am

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
By that I mean the case law has changed. When case law changes, you can't go back and cite old case law as prima facia evidence to support your claim. You particularly can't do it and then tell people to clean up their act because it's been proven you can't do it.
If the case law states that an officer must use his/her judgment regarding suspicion (see quote from the Wardlow case below), then should there not be some possibility of review of that judgment? In the 1996 case, wasn't the judge saying that police/civilian relations were so bad that flight was no longer suspicious? The judge did not say that flight was never probable cause, just that flight was not suspicious when law abiding citizens had reason to be afraid of police. I don't see how the Wardlow case changes that.

For example, is flight suspicious if it's from a specific police officer who has a reputation (irrespective of the truth behind the reputation) of beating-up innocent people that he stops on the street, ?

"In reviewing the propriety of an officer’s conduct, courts do not have available empirical studies dealing with inferences from suspicious behavior, and this Court cannot reasonably demand scientific certainty when none exists. Thus, the reasonable suspicion determination must be based on commonsense judgments and inferences about human behavior. See United States v. Cortez, 449 U.S. 411, 418."
Old Oct 29, 2008, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by ralfp
If the case law states that an officer must use his/her judgment regarding suspicion (see quote from the Wardlow case below), then should there not be some possibility of review of that judgment? In the 1996 case, wasn't the judge saying that police/civilian relations were so bad that flight was no longer suspicious? The judge did not say that flight was never probable cause, just that flight was not suspicious when law abiding citizens had reason to be afraid of police. I don't see how the Wardlow case changes that.

For example, is flight suspicious if it's from a specific police officer who has a reputation (irrespective of the truth behind the reputation) of beating-up innocent people that he stops on the street, ?
A case could certainly be made in that hypothetical example.

But I say again, to cite a 1996 case and then tell people, simply based upon that one case (ignoring the later precedent), to "wake up and smell the roses" is asinine.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ari
The defendant in that case still got 54 months despite the supression. (Plead Guilty).

Clinton Judge.
I followed up because I was curious. It turns out that the government appealed the decision and the judge "changed his mind" and admitted the evidence he had previously thrown out.

The Rest of the Story...

But Judge Harold Baer Jr. of Federal Court in Manhattan, above, threw out the evidence, calling the seizure illegal, questioning the officers' credibility and mentioning past police corruption in the area. A storm of criticism rained on him from political powerhouses like Gov. George E. Pataki, and Republicans in Congress urged his impeachment.

After a second hearing, Judge Baer admitted the evidence, spurring others to claim that he seemed to have caved in under pressure. But an appeals court upheld the reversal, saying the judge had heard additional evidence. Ms. Bayless pleaded guilty, was given 54 months in prison and completed her term in 1999.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 10:51 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
By that I mean the case law has changed. When case law changes, you can't go back and cite old case law as prima facia evidence to support your claim.
Oh yes you can. The Supremes do it all the time, and can reverse later (timewise) opinions in favor of earlier ones. They will cite, examine and rule on all pertinent precedents. It would require someone's appeal making it that far of course, but it is entirely possible that Bayless would supercede Wardlow if the Supremes were to consider both in the light of a third case.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 10:55 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
I followed up because I was curious. It turns out that the government appealed the decision and the judge "changed his mind" and admitted the evidence he had previously thrown out.
I must have scrolled down through Pacer too quickly-- I missed that.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Oh yes you can. The Supremes do it all the time, and can reverse later (timewise) opinions in favor of earlier ones. They will cite, examine and rule on all pertinent precedents. It would require someone's appeal making it that far of course, but it is entirely possible that Bayless would supercede Wardlow if the Supremes were to consider both in the light of a third case.
When MikeMpls becomes a member of SCOTUS then that will be a salient point.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 3:32 pm

POLICE BRUTALITY PERVASIVE IN MN AIRPORT ATTACKS INVOLVING IMAMS, DAVID ORSACK, AARON JAMES -AND MCCAIN/REPUBLICAN AFFILIATES EXPOSED COMPLICIT:
Brad Wingate has been involved in several attacks at Minneapolis Airport - most of you will not be aware of this.
Not just the 6 Imams
but also: David Orsack greencycles(dot)blogspot(daught)com
/2007/05/case-summary(daught)html
and
Aaron James and his mother bradwingatebrutality(daught)blogspot(daught)com
… ***and now it seems evidence demonstrates Republican interests have played a hand in 3 years ongoing assaults upon this family! mccainattacks(daught)blogspot(daught)com
This is simply reprehensible!
Two further seperate assaults involving taser weapons.
The court has done a cover up on all of these attacks due to police state brutality in the United States exemplified in the Repubican national Convention and DNC preemptive raids on homes.
Regarding David Orsack he comments:
“Wingate’s anger at this and perhaps embarrassment and sense of not having been able, through threats of violence, to force the upper hand in the situation then led to a series of spontaneous actions on his part that were an egregious escalation of police force”
Back to the Imams report:
Here’s what Officer Wingate reported in the police report:
“Officer Desubijana and I asked the six passengers pointed out to us to get up and leave the aircraft. Systematically, from the rear to the front of the plane, we asked all six to leave the plane. All parties left the plane cooperatively. It should be noted that two of the individuals were seated in the rear; two were seated in the middle; and two were seated in the front of the aircraft; all of which stated they were travelling together. All of their carry-on bags were brought off the aircraft as well.”
I find it a little peculiar that the police report said that the imams “left the plane cooperatively” while the letter to the editor said that the imams were “handcuffed” and “removed from the plane…” Let’s remember that Imam Shahin said:
“This was humiliating, the worst moment of my life.”
The first obvious question is “If the imams “left the plane cooperatively”, why would they need to be handcuffed?
The second obvious question is why should Imam Shahin say that “This was humiliating, the worst moment of my life” if they weren’t taken off in handcuffs?
This whole thing stinks of *police abuse and destruction of evidence. I hope that this Officer Wingate is ultimately discharged. He disgraced the department and other officers he serves with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.