Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Man violently assaulted by airport police for leaving MSP by bicycle

Old Jun 19, 07, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC

http://web.mac.com/stephanorsak/iWeb/Site/Welcome.html

I was accosted, assaulted with battery, and tased at Minneapolis St Paul international airport, simply for leaving the airport by bicycle. I had broken NO laws.

I was leaving MSP airport by bicycle after a flight from California. I was legally operating my bicycle completely in accord with MN statutes and MAC airport ordinances. I was following all posted signs. There were NO signs at that time prohibiting bicycles. I was rudely accosted by an officer in a passing squad car, came to a stop, and was immediately threatened with mace and taser if I didn't get off the bike and up on the curb. I did not understand the reason for this outrage.
I calmly yet firmly protested the threats, and said that I was happy to abide by all laws that applied, but asked what I had done wrong and why the process was so immediately belligerent. Officer Wingate said 'You can't ride here'.

I asked where that was posted. Officer Wingate made a vague gesture in the direction of the Lindbergh terminal and angrily said 'back there'. I asked for specifics of where it was and what the sign said, and tried to explain that I had been to the airport many times and had never seen such a sign. Officer Wingate became more angry at this questioning of his authority, and burst out 'I'm *telling* you you can't ride here'. I never raised my voice, used profanity or made threatening gestures yet I was threatened again: 'I'm going to mace you, I'm going to tase you!'.
I'm wondering whether I really want to live here any more.
Old Jun 19, 07, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by whirledtraveler View Post
http://web.mac.com/stephanorsak/iWeb/Site/Welcome.html

I'm wondering whether I really want to live here any more.
So, while minding your own business and simply performing your duty as a law abiding citizen, a couple of cops pulled you over, tazed you, beat you up, STOMPED your glasses, and then manipulated evidence and lied under oath because they hate bicycles and those that ride them. O.K., But hey, you finally achieved fame...your website has your picture, one-sided story, inflammatory words and everything. I'll bet you are elated.

As far as living here, you have options.
Old Jun 19, 07, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ Super Plats
Originally Posted by hiltonhead View Post
So, while minding your own business and simply performing your duty as a law abiding citizen, a couple of cops pulled you over, tazed you, beat you up, STOMPED your glasses, and then manipulated evidence and lied under oath because they hate bicycles and those that ride them. O.K., But hey, you finally achieved fame...your website has your picture, one-sided story, inflammatory words and everything. I'll bet you are elated.

As far as living here, you have options.
Of course all cops are 100% nice truthful guys and there are never any bad apples in the bunch.

Tell that to Rodney King.

It appears that the bicyclist's jury trial is set for July 16.
Old Jun 19, 07, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Police should be required to wear digital camcorders on their chests that record all encounters. Miniaturization has gotten to the point where that is possible.
Old Jun 19, 07, 9:26 pm

Location: Austin. AA PPro; WN A-List; Marriott Plat; IHG Spire Ambassador
Meh. Another fellow who has no conflict resolution skills. When such a person comes in contact with cops, who most of the time don't have any either, bad things happen.

You can't just ride away from a cop. It just doesn't work that way.
Old Jun 19, 07, 9:31 pm

Location: Austin. AA PPro; WN A-List; Marriott Plat; IHG Spire Ambassador
Police should be required to wear digital camcorders on their chests that record all encounters. Miniaturization has gotten to the point where that is possible.
I agree with this.
Old Jun 19, 07, 9:33 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
You actually believe this loon's manufactured tale??? Give me a break. "I assure you" this, "I certainly did not" that. All unsupported, unsubstantiated and uncorroborated. Every arrestee ever booked "didn't do nothin'," and is "absolutely innocent." The police reports spell out a completely different story. I know the conspiracy theorists among us won't believe them, but I don't believe him. I think he got so wrapped up in his "rights" that he lost his cool, called the officers names and refused to cooperate. Only an idiot disregards police orders because he thinks they are wrong and he "has his rights." Then he compounded the problem by trying to leave, in a manner (on the bike) he was told not to, and then struggling when they stopped him. I'd have busted his butt, too. The simple way to handle this scenario would be to simply walk the bike away as directed, go on his way and follow up with airport police for clarification of the rules when he came back to the airport.

If his story had even a shred of truth, a good lawyer would have had it dismissed or bargained down to nothing long ago. Or perhaps you also believe that the District Attorney, judge and defense counsel are all in on the conspiracy to rid the world of evil bicyclists. I'll be very interested to see a report of the trial outcome.
Old Jun 19, 07, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by abmj-jr View Post
You actually believe this loon's manufactured tale??? Give me a break. "I assure you" this, "I certainly did not" that. All unsupported, unsubstantiated and uncorroborated. Every arrestee ever booked "didn't do nothin'," and is "absolutely innocent." The police reports spell out a completely different story. I know the conspiracy theorists among us won't believe them, but I don't believe him.
As long as the only witnesses are the trees on the side of the road, we'll never know.
Old Jun 19, 07, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ Super Plats
"Officer Wingate" also appears in the infamous "Mother Eye Witness to NWA Racial Profiling Attach" blog. That was a real doozie of a story that got banished from TS&S to who knows where.

"Officer Wingate" also played a key role in the fiasco of the 6 imans on US Airways:
Here's what Officer Wingate reported in the police report:

"Officer Desubijana and I asked the six passengers pointed out to us to get up and leave the aircraft. Systematically, from the rear to the front of the plane, we asked all six to leave the plane. All parties left the plane cooperatively. It should be noted that two of the individuals were seated in the rear; two were seated in the middle; and two were seated in the front of the aircraft; all of which stated they were travelling together. All of their carry-on bags were brought off the aircraft as well."

Last edited by MikeMpls; Jun 19, 07 at 9:57 pm
Old Jun 19, 07, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Silver, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by abmj-jr View Post
If his story had even a shred of truth, a good lawyer would have had it dismissed or bargained down to nothing long ago. Or perhaps you also believe that the District Attorney, judge and defense counsel are all in on the conspiracy to rid the world of evil bicyclists. I'll be very interested to see a report of the trial outcome.
I'm guessing he already has a good lawyer. Lot of info on the website.

We'll see what the judge and jury have to say.

With how this country's been going lately, I wouldn't necessarily give the benefit of the doubt to the cops.
Old Jun 19, 07, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MikeMpls View Post
"Officer Wingate" also appears in the infamous "Mother Eye Witness to NWA Racial Profiling Attach" blog. That was a real doozie of a story that got banished from T&S to who knows where.

"Officer Wingate" also played a key role in the fiasco of the 6 imans on US Airways:
Here's what Officer Wingate reported in the police report:

"Officer Desubijana and I asked the six passengers pointed out to us to get up and leave the aircraft. Systematically, from the rear to the front of the plane, we asked all six to leave the plane. All parties left the plane cooperatively. It should be noted that two of the individuals were seated in the rear; two were seated in the middle; and two were seated in the front of the aircraft; all of which stated they were travelling together. All of their carry-on bags were brought off the aircraft as well."
Looks like this is actually going to trial, so we'll get to see if Officer Wingate is a bad apple or not.
Old Jun 19, 07, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Superguy View Post
Looks like this is actually going to trial, so we'll get to see if Officer Wingate is a bad apple or not.
One of the two earlier "incidents" (NWA racial profile attack) really was a pretty wild tale. The 6 imans incident involved (in my opinion) bad judgment for the occasion but no "bad apple" was manifest.

Nevertheless Officer Wingate does appear to be a magnet for this stuff.
Old Jun 19, 07, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MikeMpls View Post
One of the two earlier "incidents" (NWA racial profile attack) really was a pretty wild tale. The 6 imans incident involved (in my opinion) bad judgment for the occasion but no "bad apple" was manifest.

Nevertheless Officer Wingate does appear to be a magnet for this stuff.
Yeah, he does. Guess we'll see if that's with or without reason.
Old Jun 19, 07, 10:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Mikey likes it View Post
I agree with this.
Okay, but what if the video shows the complainant to be a lying sack of manure? Would it be okay for law enforcement to respond to the publicized misconduct allegations by releasing the video for public review?
Old Jun 19, 07, 10:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA GLD
Originally Posted by dhuey View Post
Okay, but what if the video shows the complainant to be a lying sack of manure? Would it be okay for law enforcement to respond to the publicized misconduct allegations by releasing the video for public review?
Absolutely.

Search this Thread