Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Definition of "zip-top" bag??

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2006, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Definition of "zip-top" bag??

I am about to try to carry on for the first time since the new Kip Zip Freedom Policy was implemented, and I want to make sure I don't mess things up.

The relevant page of the TSA website says I have to have a "zip-top" plastic bag. As a counterexample, it says I cannot have a "foldover sandwich bag".

The photo on the TSA web page shows a zip-top bag of a particular type. I don't have one of those, but I do have one of these (quart sized of course) which clearly is not a "foldover sandwich bag".

Am I OK, or do I have to make a trip to the store to protect myself from the terrorists?
Old Oct 27, 2006, 12:19 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
Don't you feel safer already?

The type of bag you show will work just fine.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA/*A nobody, Bonvoy Plat, SW A-list, Hertz 5* (but who isn't???)
Originally Posted by crhptic
I do have one of these (quart sized of course) which clearly is not a "foldover sandwich bag".
Of course, I can't speak for the TSA, or the staff at a particular airport, but I have had zero problems using the second type of bag at many airports in the US since the baggie act.

I am using just plain old Ziploc use-your-thumb-and-finger to slide it closed, as opposed to the type with the plastic tab shown on the TSA site, and I have never been refused baggie passage even when openly declaring it.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 12:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I think that is may either have an actual zipper or may have a lip that can be hand shut.

It must only be a quart size (no gallons or the TSA employees might go postal on you) and everything must fit in it comfortably. It really does not leave a lot of room so I would suggest hitting small items like lip balm in shoes or socks and taking out items like toothbrushes and floss and leaving separate in your bag.

The type of scrunity over items varies from airport to airport. In JFK and ORD the TSA morons are like vultures looking for road kill. In other airports such as AUS and EWR you could probably put a 64 ounze bottle of shampoo from Costco in your carry on and get away with it.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I guess if I have a problem it's just the TSA being inconsistent to throw off the bad guys...
Old Oct 27, 2006, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
and everything must fit in it comfortably.
Not so.

http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/..._guidance.shtm

No longer mentions "comfort".

Also they have a really cool graphic now that explains EVERYTHING. Come on, everyone, let's sing the "3-1-1 on Air Travel" song. Gag.

http://www.tsa.gov/assets/pdf/311.pdf
Old Nov 7, 2006, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K3MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hertz PC
Question does any one have the -complete fine print- defining the "zip top bag"

I have been using the same bag since the inception of this new rule until tonight in Boston (terminal c)

The bag I use is :
-clear (perfectly transparent)
-it is made of plastic, (it's flexible, it's not hard)
-it's quart size (it's rectangular , not square shaped),
-it has a zip on top
-it is not a freezer/food type bag (think of it as a transparent pouch
see http://www.containerstore.com/browse...2&PRODID=63319 )

When it went through the xray (in plain view on top of my coat) the TSA agent picked it up and told me that:
"next time you need to have a zip-top bag"
to which I responded by looking puzzled ....
which triggered the additionnal statement ....
"it needs to be a zip-top bag, sir, there is a reason for that ..."

To which I didn't reply.... although while I was picking my stuff down the line I asked another TSA agent about what was wrong about my plastic bag (still in plain view) .... I made it clear I was just looking for an explanation , not arguing ... to which the only thing he had to say was "I don't make the rules, how do you know it's quart size bag"
(which I answered by "because that's what was on the sticker when I bought it for this purpose")

Again before I risk an opinion / comment about this what I am looking for is the official set of fine print specifying the "bag" .....

The only thing I can find on the TSA web site is :

All liquids, gels and aerosols must be placed in a single, quart-size, zip-top, clear plastic bag. Gallon size bags or bags that are not zip-top such as fold-over sandwich bags are not allowed. Each traveler can use only one, quart-size, zip-top, clear plastic bag.

Anyone out there knows anything else ?

Any specification on plastic material ? thickness ? metal/plastic zipper ?

Thanks !
Old Nov 7, 2006, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I think that is may either have an actual zipper or may have a lip that can be hand shut.

It must only be a quart size (no gallons or the TSA employees might go postal on you) and everything must fit in it comfortably. It really does not leave a lot of room so I would suggest hitting small items like lip balm in shoes or socks and taking out items like toothbrushes and floss and leaving separate in your bag.

The type of scrunity over items varies from airport to airport. In JFK and ORD the TSA morons are like vultures looking for road kill. In other airports such as AUS and EWR you could probably put a 64 ounze bottle of shampoo from Costco in your carry on and get away with it.
I would assume that you meant hiding and not hitting...

We can see items even when placed into shoes, socks, etc...
Old Nov 7, 2006, 9:30 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
It's a sad state of affairs when we have to discuss the kind of plastic bag that the TSA will or will not allow.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 9:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by whatsinyourbag

... not socks that stay on person; not shoes that stay on person.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 5:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by whatsinyourbag

Oh, really? Then why does my brother get through the screening process all the time with items tucked into his carry-on?

If your statement is true, why is it that the screeners at EWR were not able to find items hidden in carry-ons?

Methinks you live in the screener world as you would like it to be, not as it is.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Originally Posted by pbr6891
I have been using the same bag since the inception of this new rule until tonight in Boston (terminal c)

The bag I use is :
-clear (perfectly transparent)
-it is made of plastic, (it's flexible, it's not hard)
-it's quart size (it's rectangular , not square shaped),
-it has a zip on top
-it is not a freezer/food type bag (think of it as a transparent pouch
see http://www.containerstore.com/browse...2&PRODID=63319 )

When it went through the xray (in plain view on top of my coat) the TSA agent picked it up and told me that:
"next time you need to have a zip-top bag"
to which I responded by looking puzzled ....
which triggered the additionnal statement ....
"it needs to be a zip-top bag, sir, there is a reason for that ..."

To which I didn't reply.... although while I was picking my stuff down the line I asked another TSA agent about what was wrong about my plastic bag (still in plain view) .... I made it clear I was just looking for an explanation , not arguing ... to which the only thing he had to say was "I don't make the rules, how do you know it's quart size bag"
(which I answered by "because that's what was on the sticker when I bought it for this purpose")

Again before I risk an opinion / comment about this what I am looking for is the official set of fine print specifying the "bag" .....

The only thing I can find on the TSA web site is :

All liquids, gels and aerosols must be placed in a single, quart-size, zip-top, clear plastic bag. Gallon size bags or bags that are not zip-top such as fold-over sandwich bags are not allowed. Each traveler can use only one, quart-size, zip-top, clear plastic bag.

Anyone out there knows anything else ?

Any specification on plastic material ? thickness ? metal/plastic zipper ?

Thanks !
To avoid problems, just buy a box of zip top bags!
Old Nov 8, 2006, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
No uniformity

Unless going to/from Europe.

The TSA Official Approved Baggie picture shows a 7.5 by 8 inch Kip Zip.

The BA link shows the new EU Approved Baugie to be 8 by 8 inches.

Will TSA declare "Osama B.L might be hiding in that extra half inch" and confiscate all those liter size quart baggies?
Old Nov 8, 2006, 7:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Flaflyer
Unless going to/from Europe.

The TSA Official Approved Baggie picture shows a 7.5 by 8 inch Kip Zip.

The BA link shows the new EU Approved Baugie to be 8 by 8 inches.

Will TSA declare "Osama B.L might be hiding in that extra half inch" and confiscate all those liter size quart baggies?
It'll happen somewhere -- but fortunately it'll be missed most of the time.

The item that will cause a bigger problem is the regulatory incongruity in maximum liquid-/gel-filled container size.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by crhptic
The relevant page of the TSA website says I have to have a "zip-top" plastic bag. As a counterexample, it says I cannot have a "foldover sandwich bag".
So, does the TSA have to pay royalties or fees to the manufacturers of the items in the bag, or do the manufacturers pay advertising fees?

Last edited by MichaelCharlie; Nov 8, 2006 at 12:08 pm Reason: something fouled while posting...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.