Wiki Posts
Search

No 4 oz contac solution in OKC

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2006, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
No 4 oz contac solution in OKC

I didn't do a search on this because I am writing out of frustration.

When getting to TSA, an agent kept saying 3 oz only. And I said but we are allowed 4 oz of contact solution. She said no, 3 oz. But I said it is on the web, let me show you the print out.

Before I could request, she called a supervisor over. The supervisor was gong to make me surrender the 4 oz of contact solution (which is a normal size for 'wet-n'soak solution) until I mentioned that I had to have this solution once at my destination to drive because I've had cornea transplants.

The supervisor then decides that the 4 oz will be allowed because there is a medical connection not because of the print out I showed her from the TSA web.

I am mystified. I thought I read on some FlyTalk forums (at least Delta?) that others had no problem with 4 oz of contact solution. It wasn't this page at http://tsa-7.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ts...i=&p_topview=1 but maybe an older one like it. At least they both say 4 oz of contact solution.

I am also confused about to do getting out of MSP on Sunday. Will they do the same here or is it just depend where you are and what shift?
Old Oct 5, 2006, 1:12 pm

Programs: CO Platinum, AA Gold, UA Premier, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Silver
Angry

I had my intranasal steroid spray for my allergies in the plastic bag, and the TSA agent in Kansas City told me I could not take it aboard. She then told me that "those things don't work and I shouldn't be taking it anyway". I asked her supervisor to come over and then asked where she had received her pharmacological training and licensure to make that judgment. Long story short, I got to take the steroid spray on board and the supervisor was yelling at the officer as I left.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA
Shenanigans like these are precisely why I still don't carry-on...

There is far too much inconsistency out there.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 1:21 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
"Consistently inconsistent" is the mantra of the TSA. They hum it in conjunction with "idiotic moronicity at its finest."
Old Oct 5, 2006, 1:27 pm

Programs: A whole bunch of them!
Medicine

Originally Posted by flyingpharmd
I had my intranasal steroid spray for my allergies in the plastic bag, and the TSA agent in Kansas City told me I could not take it aboard. She then told me that "those things don't work and I shouldn't be taking it anyway". I asked her supervisor to come over and then asked where she had received her pharmacological training and licensure to make that judgment. Long story short, I got to take the steroid spray on board and the supervisor was yelling at the officer as I left.
Nice job (I like your response re: pharmacological training). It's a shame she said that to you.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by Xeno
II am mystified. I thought I read on some FlyTalk forums (at least Delta?) that others had no problem with 4 oz of contact solution. It wasn't this page at http://tsa-7.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ts...i=&p_topview=1 but maybe an older one like it. At least they both say 4 oz of contact solution.
Can anyone confirm this? I'm flying to MSY (YAY!) tomorrow and I'd like to carry my bags on the plane with me. I've been concerned, however, that my contact solution might be a problem at security. I can't find any mention of an exception to the 3 ounce rule regarding contact solution on the TSA website.

Any chance that they won't realize that the 120mL of contact solution that I purchased in England is more than three ounces?
Old Oct 5, 2006, 1:47 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by iapetus
Can anyone confirm this? I'm flying to MSY (YAY!) tomorrow and I'd like to carry my bags on the plane with me. I've been concerned, however, that my contact solution might be a problem at security. I can't find any mention of an exception to the 3 ounce rule regarding contact solution on the TSA website.

Any chance that they won't realize that the 120mL of contact solution that I purchased in England is more than three ounces?

Technically, 4oz is supposed to be allowed. The rules published on TSA.gov allow 4 oz (which approx. = 120ml) of nonprescription medical items, specifically stating saline as one such item. Many idiots amongst the ranks are claiming that contact solution and saline aren't the same things for those purposes (most, I guess, are too young to remember when pure saline was indeed what you used for contacts, before all the multi-purpose solutions with enzymatic cleansers, disinfecting agents, etc. came along).

I carry a 2.5 oz bottle of solution with me that came in a sample pack at the doctor's office, which is sufficient for a week's trip for me, but it irks me that I would either have to go back to the office to get more or else refill that bottle repeatedly as I travel (which can be unsanitary and could lead to vision loss )
Old Oct 5, 2006, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can confirm it, and I don't even work for the Terrorist Support Agency. Of course, that may help explain why I understand the rules and so many on the inside seem to be having trouble with them.

You might have missed this part of the prohibited items page:

In addition to the above changes, the following guidance is provided to ensure the health and welfare of certain air travelers the following items are permitted.

Baby formula and breast milk if a baby or small child is traveling;

All prescription and over-the-counter medications (liquids, gels, and aerosols) including KY jelly, eye drops, and saline solution for medical purposes;

Liquids including water, juice, or liquid nutrition or gels for passengers with a disability or medical condition;

Life-support and life-sustaining liquids such as bone marrow, blood products, and transplant organs;

Items used to augment the body for medical or cosmetic reasons such as mastectomy products, prosthetic breasts, bras or shells containing gels, saline solution, or other liquids; and,

Gels or frozen liquids needed to cool disability or medically related items used by persons with disabilities or medical conditions.

You are not limited in the amount or volume of these items you may bring in your carry-on baggage. BUT if the medically necessary items exceed 3 ounces or are not contained in a one-quart, zip-top plastic bag, you MUST declare to one of our Security Officers at the checkpoint for further inspection.
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ted-items.shtm

See the bolded portions? That's all you need.

I carry this in my carryon and bookmarked on my laptop and offer to show it to screeners who are lax on the rules. Twice I've had to resort to this - and then I browbeat the idiot supervisors who failed to see that their professional (and I use the term loosely) screeners are properly trained.

There's nothing professional at all about the Mickey Mouse operation at our airports. There may a few professionals scattered about the operation, but on a whole, it's a major embarrassment for this loyal, patriotic American. I didn't help defend our country for this.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 2:02 pm
cpx

Programs: Many

Based on the recent incidents, chances of you getting into trouble with
TSA is high. Print out the things from TSA sites (FWAAA post) and be
prepared to have a good argument ready.

Make sure you carry your freedom bag for the rest of the liquids
(http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=606924)
Old Oct 5, 2006, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FWAAA
I can confirm it, and I don't even work for the Terrorist Support Agency. Of course, that may help explain why I understand the rules and so many on the inside seem to be having trouble with them.

You might have missed this part of the prohibited items page:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ted-items.shtm

See the bolded portions? That's all you need.

I carry this in my carryon and bookmarked on my laptop and offer to show it to screeners who are lax on the rules. Twice I've had to resort to this - and then I browbeat the idiot supervisors who failed to see that their professional (and I use the term loosely) screeners are properly trained.

There's nothing professional at all about the Mickey Mouse operation at our airports. There may a few professionals scattered about the operation, but on a whole, it's a major embarrassment for this loyal, patriotic American. I didn't help defend our country for this.
Your link has different info than mine that also come from the TSA web and says:
Eye drops - You are allowed to carry up to 4 oz., of eye drops with you. Volumes greater than 4 oz., are only permitted in your checked baggage.
Saline solution - You are allowed to carry up to 4 oz., of eye drops with you. Volumes greater than 4 oz., are only permitted in your checked baggage

So is the page I depended on simply dated and therefore no protection?
Old Oct 5, 2006, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your link has different info than mine that also come from the TSA web and says:
Eye drops - You are allowed to carry up to 4 oz., of eye drops with you. Volumes greater than 4 oz., are only permitted in your checked baggage.
Saline solution - You are allowed to carry up to 4 oz., of eye drops with you. Volumes greater than 4 oz., are only permitted in your checked baggage

So is the page I depended on simply dated and therefore no protection?
Uhh, I hate to say this - but the page you linked says in the upper left corner that it was last updated 8/17/06, which is a week after the complete liquid ban and more than a month prior to the late September "refinements" to the ban. Sorry 'bout that.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Uhh, I hate to say this - but the page you linked says in the upper left corner that it was last updated 8/17/06, which is a week after the complete liquid ban and more than a month prior to the late September "refinements" to the ban. Sorry 'bout that.
I thought I had explored the entire site and found nothing contrary but on that score I was wrong. And it didn't occur to me to look for the date you found since I thought all their lists were updated when the latest revisions. So again I was wrong on that score.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious miss.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by exerda
Technically, 4oz is supposed to be allowed. The rules published on TSA.gov allow 4 oz (which approx. = 120ml) of nonprescription medical items, specifically stating saline as one such item. Many idiots amongst the ranks are claiming that contact solution and saline aren't the same things for those purposes (most, I guess, are too young to remember when pure saline was indeed what you used for contacts, before all the multi-purpose solutions with enzymatic cleansers, disinfecting agents, etc. came along).

I carry a 2.5 oz bottle of solution with me that came in a sample pack at the doctor's office, which is sufficient for a week's trip for me, but it irks me that I would either have to go back to the office to get more or else refill that bottle repeatedly as I travel (which can be unsanitary and could lead to vision loss )
Unfortunately the particular solution I use in this situation only comes in 4 oz. Since I thought the web page that I used was current, I didn't fret about trying to pour some of it into another container. Or would a non-original container have caused me grief anyway?
Old Oct 5, 2006, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I thought I had explored the entire site and found nothing contrary but on that score I was wrong. And it didn't occur to me to look for the date you found since I thought all their lists were updated when the latest revisions. So again I was wrong on that score.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious miss.
D'Oh!

Tomorrow I'm gonna take my full-size 12 oz bottle of saline along with my trusty 4 oz bottle, declare both (by placing them in the bin with the baggie but NOT in the baggie) and see what happens.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

D'Oh!

Tomorrow I'm gonna take my full-size 12 oz bottle of saline along with my trusty 4 oz bottle, declare both (by placing them in the bin with the baggie but NOT in the baggie) and see what happens.
Please report on what happens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.