Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

I was detained at the TSA checkpoint for about 25 minutes today

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Do you agree or disagree with the action undertaken by MKEbound?
Agree
75.92%
Disagree
14.27%
Neither agree nor disagree
7.43%
Not sure
2.38%
Voters: 1009. You may not vote on this poll

I was detained at the TSA checkpoint for about 25 minutes today

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2006, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
Bantam, welcome to Flyertalk and thanks for such an interesting first post.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
Originally Posted by sbrower
Maybe we should just suggest some different messages to place on baggies. Hopefully one of you is much funnier than I am.

"TSA Stupidity Container"

"SSSSS"

"Caution: Contents are SSI"
How about: SSSStupid
Old Sep 27, 2006, 8:27 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum & Million Miler. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ColKurtz
I think what you did is ridiculous and stupid. I think detaining you for about 25 minutes is about what you deserve. Maybe a little too short. I would have preferred they annoy you for a good 45 minutes or so - hopefully making you miss your flight.

First, you obviously were looking for a confrontation. Either the screeners will not notice what you wrote, or not care - what's the point in that case -- or they will notice and confront you. And the point of your desired confrontation is... to express your opinion that their boss is an idiot? What does that accomplish? Are you just an attention whore, or do you think you're planting some kind of seed of discontent that will spread and lead to Hawley's resignation.

Second, and more serious, your sophomoric little stunt distracted the people who are responsible for our security. If someone bent on harming travellers was behind you in line that day, their odds of getting through security were probably much higher than normal -- for the simple fact that you were consuming the attention of several security and police officers.

You should be ashamed of yourself. Grow up.

The terrorists have beat you ColKurtz. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Sean
Old Sep 27, 2006, 8:28 am

Programs: Delta, Hilton, ICH, Hertz
Originally Posted by Bart
This thread is beginning to remind me of a bunch of kids playing "pretend." However, this thread has prompted me to brief my team to remain professional. I periodically remind my team to deal with the frustrations that passengers sometimes take out on us. Goes something like this:

"You aren't being paid to get insulted. So don't get insulted. Many people are frustrated at these security measures and may take it out on you. Stay professional and don't let it get to you. Usually, all they want to do is just spout off. If you don't give in, this will usually defuse the situation and all is forgotten. However, if they remain irrate or even get abusive, I still want you to remain calm and professional. You are not paid to deal with jerks. I am. Call me, and I'll deal with it."
Wish there were more who taught their teams this principle.

- Alan
Old Sep 27, 2006, 8:28 am
cpx

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
I love the Kip Hawley protest idea too, but we should instead either do it for a whole week, or just all the time. The First Amendment is not merely effective occassionally or when Kip Hawley feels like it - it operates all the time, regardless of what the TSA claims.

I'd say, we should continue the protest until they come to their senses.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 8:38 am
cpx

This thread is beginning to remind me of a bunch of kids playing "pretend." However, this thread has prompted me to brief my team to remain professional. I periodically remind my team to deal with the frustrations that passengers sometimes take out on us. Goes something like this:

"You aren't being paid to get insulted. So don't get insulted. Many people are frustrated at these security measures and may take it out on you. Stay professional and don't let it get to you. Usually, all they want to do is just spout off. If you don't give in, this will usually defuse the situation and all is forgotten. However, if they remain irrate or even get abusive, I still want you to remain calm and professional. You are not paid to deal with jerks. I am. Call me, and I'll deal with it."

I appreciate your efford to educate your team ^
but I dont think
passengers are the "bunch of kids playing "pretend"" I think its the
TSA higher-ups who think they can fabricate anything and
come up with the rules and procedures to inconvenience and haraSSSSS
general public.

Liquid ban was not bad enough that they have to come up with this
new plastic bag and container rule.

Just like the duct tape advisory...

... and... my tax $$ pays for all this
Old Sep 27, 2006, 9:16 am

The ACLU is very interested.

I read a copy of your posting on the IP listserve.

This is classic TSA silliness. Your First Amendment rights were indeed violated. You cannot be detained or subjected to an additional search based on an expression of your point of view.

It is sad and dispiriting that security professionas cannot the tell the difference between a true threat to the public and an act of free expression -- and not to see every expression of dissent as a personal challenge to their authority. Screeners are not first grade teachers. I don't feel safer knowing our airline screeners are so easily distracted from their real jobs.

If you are interested in following up on this. Please contact me at [email protected].

Barry Steinhardt
Director
Technology and Liberty Project
ACLU
Old Sep 27, 2006, 9:19 am

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Spiff
Greek: Kip Hawley είναι ηλίθιος.

Dutch: Kip Hawley is een idiot. (This one is great - Kip is Dutch for Chicken)

Japanese: キップHawley は馬鹿である。

(Thank you Babelfish!)

I'll let my fellow FTers have some fun with other translations.
That is so wrong (the Japanese one, that is).

It should be:

ハルーリキップさんは馬鹿です。

I learned a long time ago that Babelfish is terrible for Japanese.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 9:21 am
cpx

Originally Posted by Bsteinhardt

This is classic TSA silliness. Your First Amendment rights were indeed violated. You cannot be detained or subjected to an additional search based on an expression of your point of view.

It is sad and dispiriting that security professionas cannot the tell the difference between a true threat to the public and an act of free expression -- and not to see every expression of dissent as a personal challenge to their authority. Screeners are not first grade teachers. I don't feel safer knowing our airline screeners are so easily distracted from their real jobs.

If you are interested in following up on this. Please contact me at [email protected].

Barry Steinhardt
Director
ACLU
Welcome to FT! Its good to have you here.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 9:28 am

I'm a reporter and I'm interested

I'm a reporter for Associated Press and I'm very interested in hearing your story. You can email me at [email protected].
Old Sep 27, 2006, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold

Barry Steinhardt
Director
ACLU
Go get 'em, Tiger.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 9:53 am
Suspended

Deleted

Last edited by Bart; Jan 5, 2008 at 9:22 am
Old Sep 27, 2006, 10:07 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Scifience
That is so wrong (the Japanese one, that is).

It should be:

ハルーリキップさんは馬鹿です。

I learned a long time ago that Babelfish is terrible for Japanese.
It translated back to "Kip Hawley is foolish" so I accepted it.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 10:09 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)

Barry Steinhardt
Director
ACLU
As a card-carrying member of the ACLU, I'd like to say: Welcome to FlyerTalk!

I hope you'll be spending more time with us and if you need any assistance on the Technology side of things, please feel free to PM me.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 10:18 am
Suspended

But scrawling a childish little playground taunt on a plastic bag? C'mon.
If it gets PR, then it works! And MKEbound's actions have certainly done just that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.