Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

New TSA Idiocy: "Beverages received on the plane may not be carried off the plane."

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New TSA Idiocy: "Beverages received on the plane may not be carried off the plane."

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2006, 6:48 pm

Possible explanation for this inane rule (?)

If this is a real rule, perhaps it was enacted at the insistence of the Starbucks lobby.

Starbucks lobbyist: "We've lost a lot of business since people used to buy drinks for their flights. At least, make sure people don't bring airline-provided drinks off the plane so they have to come to us if they want to drink something when they're connecting."
Old Aug 30, 2006, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Thanks! I enjoyed that laugh. I will report any condensation that I see.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 11:36 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Thumbs down

So is water considered to be more dangerous?

Well, there are many chemical reactions that take place in an aqueous environment. However, I think one can go to the lav and get plenty of water whenever they wanted.

Banning beverages that are bought in a sterile area of the airport just seems beyond stupid IMO. What's next, banning Mentos?
Old Aug 31, 2006, 5:19 am

False, false, false. Say that 3 times fast Now alcohol is another thread.
Old Sep 4, 2006, 6:47 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
FWIW, none of the FAs on my five flights this past weekend mentioned the "rule." Sounds like it was a messed-up briefing to someone in the FA hierarchy.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
According to this thread in the AF/KLM forum, KLM has decided to stop giving out a small bottle of alcohol to their premium-class customers to/from US and Canada because the passengers were given a hard time by the US authorities when they had the item after the flight. (That is, exactly what the thread title is about -- taking beverages off of the plane.) KLM has been giving out these little miniature houses with a small bottle of alcohol in it for many, many years.

This will only affect flights to/from US and Canada. Travel to sane countries will be unaffected.

Last edited by justageek; Sep 5, 2006 at 2:03 pm
Old Sep 5, 2006, 4:21 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
so is it true?

So I'm confused...is it actually a new TSA rule that you can't take the
airplane drink out of the airplane? Or just for alcohol? Or just for water?
I'm sorry I can't figure it out; I did read the whole thread.

Also, if it's a rule, are they having quaternary searches on the way off
the plane?

On several recent domestic AA flights - I heard no such announcement, nor
any announcement about "if you have smuggled a drink on-board, hide it"
(as someone mentioned they'd heard on another airline).

--LG
Old Sep 5, 2006, 5:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
Originally Posted by justageek
According to this thread in the AF/KLM forum, KLM has decided to stop giving out a small bottle of alcohol to their premium-class customers to/from US and Canada because the passengers were given a hard time by the US authorities when they had the item after the flight. (That is, exactly what the thread title is about -- taking beverages off of the plane.) KLM has been giving out these little miniature houses with a small bottle of alcohol in it for many, many years.

This will only affect flights to/from US and Canada. Travel to sane countries will be unaffected.
I imagine that's because once given the house (I have a huge collection from the good old days), pax with onward connections attempted to carry them on, even though they could put them in luggage at customs. Another small pleasure destroyed in the name of kabuki security. But I would not surmise that there was anything wrong with simply taking them off of the plane. But then again, who knows what the TSA crackpots think about this one.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
Originally Posted by SJCFlyerLG
I imagine that's because once given the house (I have a huge collection from the good old days), pax with onward connections attempted to carry them on, even though they could put them in luggage at customs. Another small pleasure destroyed in the name of kabuki security. But I would not surmise that there was anything wrong with simply taking them off of the plane. But then again, who knows what the TSA crackpots think about this one.
Good point...you could very well be right.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.