Community
Wiki Posts
Search

This is just beyond belief! (Merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2006, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

This is just beyond belief!

WBC pax on flights to and from the US and Canada will as of tomorrow, September 6, receive empty Delft Blue houses. This is for - wait for it - security reasons!

Yeah, I can just picture all 42 terrorists in WBC emptying their houses in a suitable container and then stirring the contents to create an explosive mixture.

Good grief! Have those in charge of aviation security gone completely insane?

Source De Financiële Telegraaf

Johan
Old Sep 5, 2006, 7:59 am

I bet they are trying to save money - no gin - less fuel burned. They can probably remove a can or two of tonic as well. I reckon it saves KLM about €300, you'll see this saving in return of some kind of increase in taxes.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 8:02 am

Programs: Skymiles SM
O nee, geen jenever huisjes meer.
Wat nu gedaan?

So silly.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 9:53 am

Programs: DL PM, FB Plat, LH SEN, Amex Cent
Originally Posted by johan rebel
WBC pax on flights to and from the US and Canada will as of tomorrow, September 6, receive empty Delft Blue houses. This is for - wait for it - security reasons!
Johan
And I had thought that I had read somewhere that the contents is important since they are allowed to hand out drinks but not free gifts???
Old Sep 5, 2006, 9:56 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
Ridiculous! I wonder what I will have to do with my houses given on a flight connecting to the UK now?! Check them in at the gate??
Old Sep 5, 2006, 11:22 am

Yeah, I can just picture all 42 terrorists in WBC emptying their houses in a suitable container and then stirring the contents to create an explosive mixture.

Good grief! Have those in charge of aviation security gone completely insane?

Source De Financiële Telegraaf

Johan
Next to get the axe from the inflight offerings is the pork chop so as to preclude the risk of enraging prospective Muslim fundementalists because KLM is not serving Halal cuisine.

I suggest all off on holiday to Dammam and Kuwait then with equally empty Delft Blue Houses. No more incentive to fly WBC accross the pond anyway.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
I bet they are trying to save money.
KL claim this is actually going to cost them money, because their contract with Bols, suppliers of the jenever, obliges them to purchase more of the stuff than they now require.

Also, KL claim they were forced to take this step after several pax arriving in the USA experienced "problems" when they were discovered to be carrying these houses in their hand luggage. Probably true, the TSA and customs are presumably suffering from collective irrational paranoia or else a perverse desire to make life difficult for the innocent and harmless.

Johan
Old Sep 5, 2006, 1:13 pm

Programs: Skyteam elite, One world Emerald
Originally Posted by zurichflyer
And I had thought that I had read somewhere that the contents is important since they are allowed to hand out drinks but not free gifts???

that´s how it started. airlines made somewhat of a pact not to hand out any gifts. klm then filled them with jenever to present them as a drink.

who has actually ever drank from the huisjes...mine are still all filled.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 1:44 pm

Programs: KLM Flying Blue Platinum for Life.. BA Gold , oh and some other shiny bits of plastic ...
This is totally insaine ! the TSA have finaly lost it ...
Those little houses have been an institution with KLM for many many years ..

All i can guess is that the world has gone utterly mad ...
Old Sep 5, 2006, 2:25 pm
tlr

Programs: AF/KL Dark Grey, LH SEN
Also, KL claim they were forced to take this step after several pax arriving in the USA experienced "problems" when they were discovered to be carrying these houses in their hand luggage. Probably true, the TSA and customs are presumably suffering from collective irrational paranoia or else a perverse desire to make life difficult for the innocent and harmless.
Sounds plausible, indeed -- think of pax connecting in the US.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 2:41 pm

Programs: KLM Flying Blue Platinum for Life.. BA Gold , oh and some other shiny bits of plastic ...
Originally Posted by tlr
Sounds plausible, indeed -- think of pax connecting in the US.
why can they not transfer these to their luggage in the US ? so yes i thought of these , but have thought of a simple way round it ... why could the US authorities ? Its not that hard
Old Sep 5, 2006, 4:01 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, HHonors Gold
US bans Delft houses

Just on the Dutch TV news tonight...KLM is not allowed to hand out Delft houses on their routes to the USA. Yes, they contain liquid and could be used for other purposes than just collecting them. Very sad...

Just read the other thread - we will continue to receive the houses, but they will be empty!
Old Sep 6, 2006, 12:08 pm

If they are still capped they may become hot collectors items!
Old Sep 6, 2006, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by erik123
they may become hot collectors items!
Not likely, since KL has been handing out empty houses for years on flights to/from certain islamic countries.

Johan
Old Sep 6, 2006, 5:12 pm

Programs: klm pe
i have visions of young islamic terrorists on webawards from Tehran throwing cats and delft blue houses at innocent bystanders...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.