Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA Adjusting Prohibitions/Designated "Ask Bart" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Adjusting Prohibitions/Designated "Ask Bart" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2006, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
so I'm sorry Bart.

Originally Posted by Bart
Well, I didn't want to come across as boasting. I did, in fact, talk to a supervisor. I explained that it was medicine for an infant, that I could clearly see the baby was sick, and that I thought we should let it go. He told me that the rules were very strict and that it could not be permitted. I then confronted him with, "is this really what we want to do? Are we to become bullies and goons? It's your barbeque, boss, cook it the way you want, and I'll still support you. But look at what we're doing here."

He could have written me up for insubordination and being disrespectful.

On a positive note, yesterday, a young mom checked with me while I was working baggage about taking juice, still in its original manufacturer container, as part of a emergency kit for her diabetic son. Usually, I tell them that this is a matter for her to discuss with the supervisor once she arrives at the checkpoint. Instead, I told her to meet me at the checkpoint entrance, and in the meantime I left the pod to discuss this with the supervisor...the same supervisor I mentioned above. The guidance had changed several times since that first encounter, and I knew what the new guidance was (I report to work early, on my own time, just to review the new guidance and prepare a brief to the crew on any changes) and wanted to make sure he knew the guidance. We were on the same sheet of music and agreed that the juice, as part of an emergency kit, was permitted. I met the lady at the entrance, gave her my name and the supervisor's name and bid her a nice day.

I'm not trying to portray myself as a saint. I'm far from it, the sins of my past will always be with me. Perhaps this is what drives me to be confrontational with my own bosses when I believe we're about to do something stupid, or perhaps it's because of my military background where I'm accustomed to telling it straight, in colorful terms, and expect it to be received as straight talk without the sugar-coating. The supervisor in question is an old intelligence operator, Air Force as opposed to Army, so I think he took my questions as intended: a straight-forward discussion among professionals. Day one we were in disagreement; day two we're on the same sheet.

It works that way.
I was hard on you, but you really pushed my buttons. A sick infant who obviously needs medicine could get a great deal sicker on a flight. Infants can get so sick so fast and scare the daylights out of parents.

Frankly I have no idea how I'm going to get my own meds through security and have put off one trip for that reason. I just can't take the risk.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA, Skymiles, OnePass
I don't know what kind of medicine it was--for the baby--but if it was nonprescription medicine she probably could have given him a dose then that would have lasted through the flight; or if it were an issue, could have not flown just then.

If my son were having asthma problems and someone tried to take his inhaler away, we'd turn around and go home.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 4:21 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by Lehava
You can go to any medical supply store (and most large pharmacies) and buy yourself some of those paper booties, use for security and throw away, simple and not overly expensive.
Unless the TSA or you are going to purchase them for me, I am not wasting my hard-earned money on this nonsense.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 4:25 pm

We had to wear those paper booties *over* shoes at a Level 3 datacenter I worked in. My employer and Level 3 fought over who would pay the medical bills when they caused me to slip and fall.

I would think that if I were to fall while trying to take off my shoes at a checkpoint then the airport would be up for a lawsuit. Which could work.

We have to realize that the only ones the TSA will listen to are the airlines and maybe the airport operators. I'm afraid we're going to have to bring our legal actions against them.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 4:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JakiChan
We had to wear those paper booties *over* shoes at a Level 3 datacenter I worked in. My employer and Level 3 fought over who would pay the medical bills when they caused me to slip and fall.

I would think that if I were to fall while trying to take off my shoes at a checkpoint then the airport would be up for a lawsuit. Which could work.

We have to realize that the only ones the TSA will listen to are the airlines and maybe the airport operators. I'm afraid we're going to have to bring our legal actions against them.
I agree, partially. Although I have sent complaints to the TSA, which did nothing but perhaps give me an outlet for my disgust, the ONLY way to get these asinine restrictions repealed is through the airlines. I'm not sure it needs to go as far as legal action; I think a boycott of the airlines would work.

Write to your carrier of choice and advise them that you are going to curtail your travel unless these restrictions are rescinded, including shoe removal.

However, you have to follow up with actions - drive to some destination to which you would ordinarily fly - and advise your airline that you have chosen to drive rather that face baggage checks and dumb a** security checkpoints.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by doober
Write to your carrier of choice and advise them that you are going to curtail your travel unless these restrictions are rescinded, including shoe removal.
I really don't think letters matter.

I think it will take people with sufficient resources who are willing to suffer the damages. You have to loose that laptop, get hurt on a flight, fall down at the checkpoint or whatever. Then you have to pay the lawyer to file the lawsuit. It's one thing to deny an aiport or airline revenue. It's another to cost them the money their lawyers will have to spend defending against your suit.

I'm not saying to manufacture a reason to sue, I'm saying they will cause it all on their own, we just need to actually go forward with our legal options.

Lawyers, start your engines!
Old Aug 13, 2006, 5:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Platinum
Bart- What is considered medication? I've been wondering this because I always travel with a special anti-perspirant only available in liquid form, or else the faucets are going 24/7. While I only use it nightly, having it get lost in luggage would mean that, come morning, the problem starts all over again. Do I have documentation from my doctor? No, this is OTC, though the only place I've found selling it is in the UK, and getting a replacement takes about 2-3 weeks. It's a 30ml spray bottle, with a little pump at the top. How would one explain this at security, and would the screeners consider it part of my meds?
Old Aug 13, 2006, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Bart
Also, how much more money are you willing to pay to supply these booties in terms of hidden security costs?

I, too, am a taxpayer and don't want to pay any more than I have to. How about you?
I'm not willing to pay an extra cent for these as shoes were NOT even a part of last week's threat. This was nothing but an excuse for a mandatory shoe carnival.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by Fly AA J all the way
Bart- What is considered medication? I've been wondering this because I always travel with a special anti-perspirant only available in liquid form, or else the faucets are going 24/7. While I only use it nightly, having it get lost in luggage would mean that, come morning, the problem starts all over again. Do I have documentation from my doctor? No, this is OTC, though the only place I've found selling it is in the UK, and getting a replacement takes about 2-3 weeks. It's a 30ml spray bottle, with a little pump at the top. How would one explain this at security, and would the screeners consider it part of my meds?
If memory serves me, 30 ml is just a bit over 1 fl oz. You are allowed small amounts of non-prescription essentials and I certainly think that this would qualify.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 6:18 pm

Thanks for taking the time to post, Bart. I appreciate your personal experiences and perspectives on this.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 7:03 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by Lehava
You can go to any medical supply store (and most large pharmacies) and buy yourself some of those paper booties, use for security and throw away, simple and not overly expensive.
Paper booties are "footwear". A reasonable screener could say that the TSA statement "All types of footwear must be placed on the X-ray machine to be screened" (on the webpage) requires removal of paper booties.

Gotta love how the "Full List of Prohibited Items" http://www.tsa.gov/assets/pdf/Permit...ibited_NEW.pdf still has the old list of prohibited items. Linked from here: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...new-items.shtm
Old Aug 13, 2006, 7:12 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
The remedy for plantar warts, caused by a contagious virus, is surgery. Athlete's foot fungus may last or recur for years, even decades. Maybe you can just buy a remedy for it. Maybe you will buy many remedies, over many years, and never be free of it again. I would consider that a considerable inconvenience.

Originally Posted by Kremmen
(And, yes, I'd rather catch something I can just buy a remedy for than the flu.)

I like taking showers myself, but the availability of those in airline lounges in the USA is very poor compared to what I'm used to in Australia. I usually try to fly in/out of SFO to shower in the UA Arrivals lounge (not for Y pax tho) incoming and the SQ SKL outgoing.

However, my main point is that compared to not being able to carry innocuous personal items on board a plane, not being able to carry deodorant, not being able to carry a drink, not being able to carry toothpaste on a 24-hour+ trip (yuk!!!), not being able to carry a screwdriver, etc, taking my shoes off for 20 secs is way down the list of things which I believe are worth worrying about.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by peachfront
The remedy for plantar warts, caused by a contagious virus, is surgery. Athlete's foot fungus may last or recur for years, even decades. Maybe you can just buy a remedy for it. Maybe you will buy many remedies, over many years, and never be free of it again. I would consider that a considerable inconvenience.
I had 5 stubborn ones. Eight visits to the podiatrist, who slathered them with acid (I was told that ins co policies are not to allow surgery unless there is actual pain, impaired mobility), did nothing more than reduce some of them slightly. I cannot help that the remedy that eradicated all of them to the extent there are absolutely no sings there was ever a problem will seem as though I'm trying to make a joke here: duct tape. It really worked for me!
Old Aug 13, 2006, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Kremmen
There is one massive problem with this "discretion" issue. The USA appears to demand that all other countries flights to the USA conform to TSA edicts. With the TSA changing its mind every day and giving discretion, that's just way too hard. Security in other countries will simply take the hardest, most unreasonable line so as to guarantee comformance with the TSA. The TSA edict against small tools is still in place here, even months after the TSA revoked it.

(That whole issue is a complete mess and totally illogical. The authorities have stated that there is no evidence at all of Australia being involved in any of the latest scare. There is no reason why we shouldn't carry liquids on board trans-pacific flights to the US and then repack them into checked luggage for domestic US connections. Instead, we are being forced to carry no liquids on planes to the USA, because the USA somehow believes it should have jurisdiction over other countries and our governments are too gutless to tell them where to shove it. ... or, more importantly, have the same FUD agenda.)
It is the unfortunate case of 'When the US sneezes, the world catches a cold'. Sorry, mate. But, on the bright side, the rules are relaxing gradually as we speak.

What season is it in Australia now? I know that is off-topic.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 7:30 pm

Programs: US Chairman 150+, AA EXP, United 1K, Marriott PP, Hertz PC
Bart,

Thanks for the posts from the trenches. I'm impressed that you're willing to put yourself in front of the bulleye for a lot of folks frustrations. Keep up the good work and keep in mind that not all the villagers are getting the torches ready.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.