Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA Adjusting Prohibitions/Designated "Ask Bart" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Adjusting Prohibitions/Designated "Ask Bart" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2006, 7:19 am

Programs: CO PLT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by Bart
Keep in mind that I'm the messenger here, but it seems that the airlines LOVE these new restrictions. Informal feedback from some of the gate agents at my airport is that they are now loading and unloading flights quicker than ever before because very few people are fumbling with overhead compartments with their carry-ons. And I have to admit that checkpoint screening seems more streamlined than I thought it would be, again, because of fewer carry-ons.
Bart, join me in a reality break. The airlines are smacking their lips over the spectre of selling bottles of water to parched pax for $5.00 a smash. If an airline runs only 500 flights a day and only 5% of the pax purchase, they just added $22,500 a DAY to the bottom line.

--PP
Old Aug 15, 2006, 7:22 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Deleted

Last edited by Bart; Jan 6, 2008 at 9:56 pm
Old Aug 15, 2006, 7:30 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Deleted

Last edited by Bart; Jan 6, 2008 at 9:56 pm
Old Aug 15, 2006, 7:41 am
Suspended

Another point, and I'm not a medical expert, but it seems to me that more germs reside inside of your own shoes than they do on the floor. In fact, many germs die off once transmitted onto an open surface such as a tile floor. But the idea of wearing a pair of boat shoes, for instance, without socks seems to me to be more of a health concern than walking barefoot on a floor.
"more germs reside inside of your own shoes"

You're probably right - and then you walk through the filth on the floor at the WTMD, pick up the germs and transfer them to the warmth and moisture of the inside of your shoes, where they fester and grow.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 7:42 am

Programs: Vanishing
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Hawley was on the PBS News Hour last night doing an in-studio interview with Gwen Ifill. She asked him about the change of TSA people checking IDs and contractors loading bags. Hawley didn't have a clue what she was talking about and he started babbling about some of our airports use contractort screeners but they are trained to the same standards, etc, etc. Unfortunately, she let him off the hook and moved on to the next question. Hawley was also wearing a rug that was so bad, it made Sam Donaldson look like a GQ model.
He also twisted his words so much that he claims all cargo is screened and Gwen let him get away with that as well. I will have to change my opinion about her. That interview was as good as a few minutes of "paid programming" by the TSA
Old Aug 15, 2006, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I can't get an answer

Bart, my husband uses an over the counter eye medicine (drops) for post surgical care of his eyes. He can't fly without using these drops every 30 minutes. I can't get a straight answer about whether they are 'legal' or not. His doc's office won't write an Rx for an OTC drug.

What to do next? Calling the TSA at DFW gave me no assistance, just a reading of the rules.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 8:34 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Deleted

Last edited by Bart; Jan 6, 2008 at 9:55 pm
Old Aug 15, 2006, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anyone heard about shoes and the puffer? Do shoes still need to be removed even if you go through the puffer?
Old Aug 15, 2006, 8:43 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
I've decided to stick to this thread to answer whatever questions I can. There are simply too many other threads with tangent topics.

I agree.
So we've made a slight change to the thread title and we'll use this thread to announce changes to the TSA prohibtions as well as a place to ask questions of Bart and/or the other TSA folks who post here.

Cholula

Travel Safety/Security Forum Moderator
Old Aug 15, 2006, 8:58 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Deleted

Last edited by Bart; Jan 6, 2008 at 9:55 pm
Old Aug 15, 2006, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; BA Gold; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Would it be inconvenient to travel to the airport a day ahead and personally speak with a TSA supervisor in advance? Show the eye drops, explain the necessity, and write down his/her name prior to travel for later reference (make sure it's at the same terminal).
The problem with getting pre-approval from a TSA supervisor at your departure airport for a particular item is that it will only offer you peace of mind on the outbound portion of the trip (assuming that the TSA agents on duty adhere to any promises that were made by the supervisor, who may or may not be on duty when the passenger transits the security checkpoint). What happens on the return if the TSA folks on duty have a different interpretation about whether the eye drops are okay to be carried on board the airplane?
Old Aug 15, 2006, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Bart, thanks,

Disappointing that your doctor won't at least provide a note, not necessarily a prescription, that explains the importance of your husband having constant access to the eye drops given the current situation at the airports.

Would it be inconvenient to travel to the airport a day ahead and personally speak with a TSA supervisor in advance? Show the eye drops, explain the necessity, and write down his/her name prior to travel for later reference (make sure it's at the same terminal).

Eye drops should be permitted under the current guidelines. However, even within my own terminal, we have inconsistencies between shifts. I've already had a couple of run-ins with my counterparts from different shifts that overlap with mine.

Not a good answer, I know, but it's the best I can offer.
I will try to get a letter of explanation, but as far as going out to DFW to get an opinion of a supervisor; not easy or logical to try to do so.

Thanks for trying.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 9:28 am

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Originally Posted by oldpenny16
I will try to get a letter of explanation, but as far as going out to DFW to get an opinion of a supervisor; not easy or logical to try to do so.

Thanks for trying.

Put the eyedrops in your pocket and forget about them. Nobody's gonna know or care if you dont tell them.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
This is an area of confusion for some officers. The guidance specifically prohibits gels and some deodorants ARE gels. However, the general rule of thumb is that stick deodorants are permitted except for gels.
Is speed stick considered a gel? And is there specific published TSA guidance, or do I have to rely on the confusion of the officer in following the rules?
Old Aug 15, 2006, 10:47 am

Programs: UA 1P
What would you suggest for someone who needs to carry liquid benedryl? I normally carry the liqui-gel caps since they are easy to carry in my wallet. I have severe food allergies (yes I carry my epi-pen as well). But liquid Benedryl is OTC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.