Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

What is the most silly thing you have seen at a check point??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the most silly thing you have seen at a check point??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2005, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exerda
Although what the checkpoint would do to prevent this is beyond me...
I was responding to your claim that a pilot being in on a plot to take down a plane is "farfetched."

The checkpoint won't do anything to stop that, of course.

But it will help prevent pilots from smuggling stuff through for their accomplices, or having stuff planted on them by terrorists. Wouldn't be that tough to do -- I regularly see crew bags unattended at hotels.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 10:16 am

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by eyecue
NO TOOLS are allowed. THere is not a distinction between c-clamps ,caulking guns or fastener removers.
Pencils are tools, notebook computers are tools, fingernail clippers are tools, computer software is a tool...

What is the wording of the SOP? Does it really just ban "tools"? What is the definition of "tool"? [I am not being sarcastic at all.]
Old Jul 29, 2005, 4:50 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
>For me, it happens every time I see a captain or a first officer sending their bags through the X-ray and walking through the WMD. Is anyone really all that concerned whether they have a gun or not? If they want the plane to crash, it's gonna crash.

I agree it's stilly, but I suspect the rationale is not that the Captain or F.O. would crash their plane, but rather, they'd give something dangerous to another evil-doer on the other side of security.

Or they could be blackmailed into carrying something through etc.

Cheers,
Geoff Glave
Vancouver, Canada
Old Jul 29, 2005, 9:36 pm

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
Originally Posted by Bart
No doubt that a Craftsman adjustable wrench or Stanley screwdriver or Black and Decker power drill ought to be prohibited as carry-on items.
Especially not the Craftsman wrench. If someone broke the wrench trying to open the cockpit door, Sears Roebuck would replace it free of charge, and we can't allow terrorists to enjoy that sort of windfall.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 9:41 pm

Programs: AA, WN RR
Originally Posted by gglave
>For me, it happens every time I see a captain or a first officer sending their bags through the X-ray and walking through the WMD. Is anyone really all that concerned whether they have a gun or not? If they want the plane to crash, it's gonna crash.

I agree it's stilly, but I suspect the rationale is not that the Captain or F.O. would crash their plane, but rather, they'd give something dangerous to another evil-doer on the other side of security.

Or they could be blackmailed into carrying something through etc.

Cheers,
Geoff Glave
Vancouver, Canada
Who is more likely to attempt to sneak something through security: the flight crew (captain and first officer) who are making big bucks and pass through WTMD and bags X-rayed, or ground crew that is making about $35,000.00 per year and rarely screened?
Old Jul 29, 2005, 9:46 pm

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by ralfp
Pencils are tools, notebook computers are tools, fingernail clippers are tools, computer software is a tool...

What is the wording of the SOP? Does it really just ban "tools"? What is the definition of "tool"? [I am not being sarcastic at all.]
Here is the list:PIL
Tools are defined as items that are used to assist in the assembly or disassembly, or maintenance of an object. Commly referred to as "hand tools" or power tools. Mechanical assist devices. Not things that fit a more generic term like laptops,software etc. Also you might think that a tape measure is a tool, it is not, it is an instrument for measuring.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by eyecue
Here is the list:PIL
Interesting, but confusing- Corkscrews and knitting needles are permitted, but ice picks are not.
I understand the logic, but it really must have taken some serious committee work to compile the list.

Uh, sir, these aren't ice picks, they are a special type of short length knitting needle.
Old Jul 31, 2005, 4:47 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PatrickHenry1775
Who is more likely to attempt to sneak something through security: the flight crew (captain and first officer) who are making big bucks and pass through WTMD and bags X-rayed, or ground crew that is making about $35,000.00 per year and rarely screened?
Exactly... except at some airports, the ground crew is subcontracted out of the airline's local Express carrier and probably makes more like $14,000 than $35,000 (which makes it even worse!)
Old Jul 31, 2005, 5:17 pm

Programs: HH-Gold, Priority Club-Platinum, Marriott-Silver, DL, CO, US,
Angry TSA - Go Away

A sample of what I have seen:

A "random" wanding" of a small child including a full pat-down fondling of the child's genitals. (LAX)

The TSA letting his nom-travling freinds "IN" through the "EXIT ONLY" side of the checkpoint. It set off alarms, of course, but no one cared. At least the TSA got to socialize. (LAX)

A TSA agent going to work and setting off the alarm. He laughed when he set it off. He was not subject to any sort of secondary search. (OMA)
Old Jul 31, 2005, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA, WN RR
Originally Posted by Echoindiaromeo

A TSA agent going to work and setting off the alarm. He laughed when he set it off. He was not subject to any sort of secondary search. (OMA)
"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others." George Orwell, Animal Farm

A classic book by a prescient writer whose message is very appropriate for our times.

Last edited by PatrickHenry1775; Jul 31, 2005 at 6:03 pm
Old Jul 31, 2005, 6:40 pm

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; AA Platinum
"A "random" wanding" of a small child including a full pat-down fondling of the child's genitals. (LAX)"

...Please tell me the parents created a big fuss and something was done to the TSA. I mean, that is being perverse to the upmost. I can't imagine travelling with my two sons and someone stranger, actually, anyone for that matter, fondling my child's genitals in the name of securite!!!

D.
Old Aug 1, 2005, 5:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Desirees
"A "random" wanding" of a small child including a full pat-down fondling of the child's genitals. (LAX)"

...Please tell me the parents created a big fuss and something was done to the TSA. I mean, that is being perverse to the upmost. I can't imagine travelling with my two sons and someone stranger, actually, anyone for that matter, fondling my child's genitals in the name of securite!!!

D.
And I am still attempting to find out what happens to unaccompanied minors regarding screening - do they get the patdown without a parent/guardian being present?
Old Aug 1, 2005, 6:43 am

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; AA Platinum
Originally Posted by red456
And I am still attempting to find out what happens to unaccompanied minors regarding screening - do they get the patdown without a parent/guardian being present?
...I dont even want to think about that angle, about a young kid getting abused in the name of a security check just because there is no guardian present to protect them...sheesh, that is even sickening to think of...

D.
Old Aug 1, 2005, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by red456
Don't worry -- the pat-down is "dignified."
Old Aug 1, 2005, 9:02 am

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by Echoindiaromeo

A "random" wanding" of a small child including a full pat-down fondling of the child's genitals. (LAX)

The TSA letting his nom-travling freinds "IN" through the "EXIT ONLY" side of the checkpoint. It set off alarms, of course, but no one cared. At least the TSA got to socialize. (LAX)

What you have seen is your interpretation. That isnt what actually happened. Unless you are the receiver of a secondary, it can appear that the genital area is patted when in reality it was not. There was quite a discussion on this topic some time ago. TSA has a list of people that are allowed in the sterile area without screening. Those people that are on the list are not everyones friends. The TSA guy that alarmed may have been exempt also due to circumstances that you are not aware of. Things are not as the appear to be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.