Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

You have to take your shoes off, don't you?- USATODAY

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2004, 10:05 am
Original Poster

This is an amazing quote from the TSA and we know it is BS.

You have to take your shoes off, don't you? Is it mandatory to remove your shoes at airport security checkpoints? The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) insists it's not but many travelers disagree. "Travelers are not required to remove their shoes at security checkpoints," TSA spokesman told Keith L. Alexander, Business Class columnist for The Washington Post (free registration). Even the agency's Web site says: "You are NOT REQUIRED to remove your shoes before you enter the walk-through metal detector," though another portion of the TSA site advises travelers "you may save yourself several minutes if you remove your shoes." One frequent traveler tells Alexander that even though she always wears the same type of shoes black casual flats she is still ordered to remove them at some, but not all, airports. "[Chicago] O'Hare and Atlanta seem to be the toughest," Washington-based computer consultant Tonya Fuller said. Despite that claim, the TSA's Clark says: "The notion that this system is random is incorrect. It's a standard procedure we implement across all airports."

Last edited by jimc_usa; Dec 8, 2004 at 10:08 am
Old Dec 8, 2004, 10:18 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
the TSA's Clark says: "The notion that this system is random is incorrect. It's a standard procedure we implement across all airports."

NO", snapped Mr al-Sahaf, "We have retaken the airport. There are NO Americans there. I will take you there and show you. IN ONE HOUR!"

http://www.welovetheiraqiinformationminister.com
Old Dec 8, 2004, 10:20 am

Programs: TSA
I can tell you

That the shoe issue is heating up. TSA issued directives at our location that say we are not to tell passengers to remove all shoes. We look at them and see if they meet the criteria. If they do then we tell pax that it may save them time if they submit the shoes to x-ray exam. If they dont which is their right, they have to go for secondary screening based on the thickness of the sole. This is as of 12/7/04
Old Dec 8, 2004, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eyecue
That the shoe issue is heating up. TSA issued directives at our location that say we are not to tell passengers to remove all shoes. We look at them and see if they meet the criteria. If they do then we tell pax that it may save them time if they submit the shoes to x-ray exam. If they dont which is their right, they have to go for secondary screening based on the thickness of the sole. This is as of 12/7/04
The level of dissatisfaction with the TSA would drop if it had simply said "If you don't take off your shoes, you'l get the full treatment" (which is real close to the reality in some airports).

But instead, Worthless Loy and Stone attempt to be real clever and tell people that "You don't have to remove your shoes, but your security experience may go faster if you do."
Old Dec 8, 2004, 10:51 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
If they dont which is their right, they have to go for secondary screening based on the thickness of the sole. This is as of 12/7/04
Since all shoes have soles and the 'basis' is SSI, this essentially means a punishment secondary for everyone not removing shoes if a particular FSD/airport/manager/supervisor/screener chooses to do so. IOW status quo, but a 'directive' with which to deny it.
Old Dec 8, 2004, 11:32 am

Programs: DL 4MM/PM, UA 1MM/Gold, AA Paper
Went through Security at B Terminal at EWR last Saturday, and the TSA person was yelling (always love that little touch of TSA professionalism) "we recomend you take your shoes off" and then added "if you do not you will be subjected to secondary screening even if they do not set off the metal detector". So I walked through the detector with my shoes on and no alarm. Of course I was punished and sent to secondary for a good groping. Then I asked for a complaint form and the supervisor appeared and wanted to know what was wrong. I did not care to discuss it with him and just asked for a complaint form and he got quite nasty. So I just walked off with the compliant form and ignored him yelling after me.

Now, is this experience with the TSA how things should happen or is it the TSA out of control with no accountability. I think the latter and until somebody takes control of the TSA and makes them accountable, no matter how much we complain, it will continue to happen regardless of what the TSA spokespeople say.
Old Dec 8, 2004, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by OrlandoFlyer
Went through Security at B Terminal at EWR last Saturday, and the TSA person was yelling (always love that little touch of TSA professionalism) "we recomend you take your shoes off" and then added "if you do not you will be subjected to secondary screening even if they do not set off the metal detector".
I went through EWR's central C checkpoint at about 1:30 PM yesterday and heard the same thing. A TSA guy was standing right on the far side of the tables where you fill up the bins, so he could not see people's feet from where he was. Every person who walked up, he gave them a bin and said "Take your shoes off." Then he was announcing very loudly to the line "Take your shoes off or we'll have to search you on the other side."

The rest of the TSA folks there actually polite and nice -had it not been for the shouting at the pax about shoe removal, I would have counted it as one of my more pleasant TSA interactions.
Old Dec 8, 2004, 12:34 pm
Suspended

Take a copies of the TSA's published procedures with you and wave them in the face of any screener who orders you to do something that deviates from those procedures.
Old Dec 8, 2004, 12:47 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by red456
Take a copies of the TSA's published procedures with you and wave them in the face of any screener who orders you to do something that deviates from those procedures.
Bwaahahaha

Alternatively you could go outside and p*** into the wind. Same effect.
Old Dec 8, 2004, 12:54 pm

I did precisely this in SEA and was subjected to secondary.
Old Dec 8, 2004, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's some free advice: Given the dollar figures contained in the link below, I would think long and hard before waving anything in the face of a TSA employee.

http://www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlib..._7-15-2004.pdf

Besides, almost none of the published material on the TSA website provides any real limits on the screeners' discretion. Vague and Ambiguous seems to be the rule for the "rules" applying to passengers' contacts with the TSA.
Old Dec 8, 2004, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, HH Gold, MR Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
We look at them and see if they meet the criteria. If they do then we tell pax that it may save them time if they submit the shoes to x-ray exam. If they dont which is their right, they have to go for secondary screening based on the thickness of the sole.
There is no standard. The thickness of my shoes does not change from one airport to the next but the reaction to me leaving them on does. This is the definition of inconsistent. Maybe the 'standard' is to be inconsistent This will keep the terrorist on their toes
Old Dec 8, 2004, 4:19 pm

Programs: WN A List Preferred and CP, AA, IHG Spire, Hertz #1 Gold 5*, Hilton Diamond, Enterprise Platinum
Originally Posted by HUB Flyer
Maybe the 'standard' is to be inconsistent This will keep the terrorist on their toes
On their "SHOELESS" toes?
...or do the terrorists get to keep their shoes on so the TSA won't be accused of racial profiling?
Old Dec 8, 2004, 5:24 pm
Suspended

SO I suppose we'll be ok if we removed one of the shoes. DO we have a choice of left or right? What if we have two right shoes, which I do, as a matter of fact. .
Old Dec 8, 2004, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TSA issued directives at our location that say we are not to tell passengers to remove all shoes.
So what do you recommend we do in OrlandoFlyer's situation up in post #6?

I'll be at EWR tomorrow afternoon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.