Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

You have to take your shoes off, don't you?- USATODAY

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

You have to take your shoes off, don't you?- USATODAY

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2005, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bart
Who is going to pay for all of those disposable slippers? Also, who's going to clean up all of the discarded slippers left on the floor? (People will throw them away on the floor instead of any trash bins provided.)
We could save even more money by not making people take their shoes off in the first place @:-)
Old Feb 1, 2005, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LessO2
I just redeemed mileage for a "free" ticket from DEN to PBI, including one connection each way at ORD. I am charged FOUR security fees when i get screened twice.
It's a total scam. We need Eliot Spitzer to file a class action against the government for this overcharging.
Old Feb 1, 2005, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Decomposing Screener
If your a selectee it will save you time though, often the screener wanding you will also check your bags. Otherwise we'll have to run the extra steps to check your shoes when you could already be in front of your bags.
But if your shoes have no metal and don't alarm the handwand, they don't have to be x-rayed even in secondary, just swabbed with an ETD. It's probably a wash as far as time goes, but I and many other people would prefer to keep my shoes on during the whole process.
Old Feb 1, 2005, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by wahooflyer
But if your shoes have no metal and don't alarm the handwand, they don't have to be x-rayed even in secondary, just swabbed with an ETD. It's probably a wash as far as time goes, but I and many other people would prefer to keep my shoes on during the whole process.
The nice thing about secondary, is I haven't had to pay for a shoeshine, since they keep cleaning my shoes so nicely with those swabs. At PHX, I told the TSA guy to get the fronts, since they like the sides so much. He thought it was funny.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
I love walking around in wet socks after the b******s make me take off my shoes.

Fly naked and carry nothing!
Old Feb 10, 2005, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by eyecue
That the shoe issue is heating up. TSA issued directives at our location that say we are not to tell passengers to remove all shoes. We look at them and see if they meet the criteria. If they do then we tell pax that it may save them time if they submit the shoes to x-ray exam. If they dont which is their right, they have to go for secondary screening based on the thickness of the sole. This is as of 12/7/04
One week ago tonight, at Boston's terminal B (entering the famed no-restrooms American Eagle gate area to catch a shuttle bus), I specifically asked the woman there if we were "required to remove our shoes". She (in very poor English) asked me to repeat myself, and I did, clearly. Her reply was: "yes, sir."

So, again, TSA and zero consistency.

This is the same crew who gave me three different answers on photography at checkpoints a couple months ago. This is beyond absurd.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by jetsettergirl
I am a flight attendant. I have to go through security on a daily basis. Here is the situation, is there a complaint about taking your shoes off? I am not sure I understand what the big deal is? Listen, if TSA tells me to take my shoes off, no problem, I am the one in the air, not them! I have never had anyone tell me to take my shoes off, but I do. I first, do not want my shoes to set off the alarm, and I have to sit, and wait for someone to check me out. Second, as I said earlier, if someone says "This will possible save you time"...no problem.
It'd save a lot more time if no one took their shoes off.

Third, as I said earlier, we are the ones flying, not them. Our security is important, isn't that the point of the screening in the first place?
The point of the screening is to keep a federal bureaucracy in place that is doing nothing to make our travel safer. A multi-billion dollar program to provide the illusion of safety.

Hey as long as they are doing their job, I am safer, and so are you!
Perhaps if you keep telling yourself that, it'll become true?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.