Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please do not lock your luggage

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2003, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No status no more, no where, no how.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TakeScissorsAway:
If, for instance, I build widgits, and the boss tells me, "OK, we will teach you how to insert the widgit into the thing-a-ma-bob, and it will be 10 times more labor intensive". Do you think my union would stand for this without some sort of monetary compensation ? I think not.
</font>
I said in another Internet forum (this was right after 9/11) that I'd pay fifty bucks a segment for security if the government would just do it right.

Would the extra revenue generated from that be enough to make your union members put the widgets in the thingamabobs?
Old Mar 18, 2003, 9:22 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tazi:
Were you forced into becoming a baggage screener? I understand it was something you asked to be trained for. </font>
I'll do my best Clinton imitation, "define forced"

I was told that I would take the training and move to baggage screening afterwards. I did not volunteer, nor did I ask to be sent. According to management, the names were sent down from Washington. Now I consider that being forced, but I'm sure others will say, "You had a choice, you could've left". That statement is true, however I could not afford to leave.

So, for the record, your understanding is/was wrong.

Old Mar 19, 2003, 1:18 am

"That statement is true, however I could not afford to leave."

I hear Mickey D's pays $8/hr some places. Saying you can't afford to leave is about the same as saying "i'm too stubborn to leave and find better employment"
Old Mar 19, 2003, 4:45 am
Used to be Sydneysider

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Spiff:
Funny, there are lots of carry on x-ray machines in Europe that seem to work just fine 1)With only 2 operators per checkpoint and 2)Without requiring people to remove laptops and other electronic devices from bags. This machine is the Rapiscan.

I haven't checked bags to/from Europe, but I know that I don't see an army of people opening bags due to a 30% false-positive rate. In Munich, they x-rayed people's checked luggage and allowed them to keep it locked. I didn't see anyone being asked to open their luggage after it was x-rayed. Perhaps these are machines that just don't function correctly once they have been imported into the US? Some bizzare 220/110V power conversion problem? Or, perhaps it's because Comrade Daschle's wife is not peddling this particular brand?

</font>
Spiff, I've been finding the 'laptaps out' thing to be the most annoying and non-sensical. I trasnit LHR on a fairly regular basis and never get any hassle from security. The laptop goes through just fine every time (in its locked case). Is the technology so much better at LHR than at US airports? Or is LHR insecure?

I have checked baggage to/from Europe, and it isn't nearly the hassle that the TSA imposes. Yet I don't see LHR, CDG, etc. on the FAA list of airports with questionable security.

Cut the crap, now!
Old Mar 19, 2003, 8:10 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sunrpc:
I hear Mickey D's pays $8/hr some places. Saying you can't afford to leave is about the same as saying "i'm too stubborn to leave and find better employment"</font>
Mickey D's doesn't have the beni's that I have now. Besides, I did my MD time back in the '70s, when I was 16.

I guess you don't crawl out of your hole enough to know that the job market sux right now. Stubborness does not fit this equation.

Old Mar 19, 2003, 8:22 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
That's exactly my point. LHR does not make one remove one's laptop or other electronics from carried on baggage. LHR does not have behemoth checked baggage scanners that require 30+% of all bags to be opened. LHR does not open baggage and then leave you a note saying "opened for our entertainment while you weren't here". What is it that prevents such things from happening in the United States?

From My Cousin Vinny:

"Are you telling me that boiling water seeps into a grit faster on your stove than any other stove in the world? Perhaps the laws of physics cease to exist on your stove?!?"

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ender83:
Spiff, I've been finding the 'laptaps out' thing to be the most annoying and non-sensical. I trasnit LHR on a fairly regular basis and never get any hassle from security. The laptop goes through just fine every time (in its locked case). Is the technology so much better at LHR than at US airports? Or is LHR insecure?

I have checked baggage to/from Europe, and it isn't nearly the hassle that the TSA imposes. Yet I don't see LHR, CDG, etc. on the FAA list of airports with questionable security.

Cut the crap, now!
</font>

------------------
"Give me Liberty or give me Death." - Patrick Henry
Old Mar 19, 2003, 8:26 am

You're not going to get any sympathy from me. I don't want you doing the job that you're doing now. If said job wants to move you around internally, I definitely don't want them to pay you more. The job market may suck, but at least there are jobs available that don't require you to act in a decidedly un-American fashion.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TakeScissorsAway:
Mickey D's doesn't have the beni's that I have now. Besides, I did my MD time back in the '70s, when I was 16.

I guess you don't crawl out of your hole enough to know that the job market sux right now. Stubborness does not fit this equation.

</font>

------------------
Old Mar 19, 2003, 8:34 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Spiff:
You're not going to get any sympathy from me. The job market may suck, but at least there are jobs available that don't require you to act in a decidedly un-American fashion.</font>
Don't remember asking "you" for anything, much less sympathy.

You are so friggin' full of yourself. You have no idea how I act.

Old Mar 19, 2003, 9:06 am

That's exactly my point. LHR does not make one remove one's laptop or other electronics from carried on baggage. LHR does not have behemoth checked baggage scanners that require 30+% of all bags to be opened. LHR does not open baggage and then leave you a note saying "opened for our entertainment while you weren't here". What is it that prevents such things from happening in the United States?

From My Cousin Vinny:

"Are you telling me that boiling water seeps into a grit faster on your stove than any other stove in the world? Perhaps the laws of physics cease to exist on your stove?!?"

</font>
Let a plane full of passengers be crashed into the houses of parliament, and I bet you will see those things. I do love that quote though.
Old Mar 19, 2003, 9:14 am

Do you open luggage without the passenger being present? Do you break locks while doing so? Do you search passengers who do not set off the metal detector? Do you open bags that look fine on the x-ray display? Do you participate in random gate checks? If the answer to any of the above questions is yes, then I know exactly how you act. You willingly chose to take a job that requires you to act in a decidedly un-American manner. I'm sorry that you don't like to hear that but it is what it is.

</font>

------------------
Old Mar 19, 2003, 9:16 am

Do you open luggage without the passenger being present? Do you break locks while doing so? Do you search passengers who do not set off the metal detector? Do you open bags that look fine on the x-ray display? Do you participate in random gate checks? If the answer to any of the above questions is yes, then I know exactly how you act. You willingly chose to take a job that requires you to act in a decidedly un-American manner. I'm sorry that you don't like to hear that but it is what it is.

</font>
Of course thats just your opinion, you could be wrong.
Old Mar 19, 2003, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

</font>
But your posts here have certainly opened a window on how you think.

Maybe we'll all catch a break and the US job market will improve, allowing you to move on and brighten some other boss's day.
Old Mar 19, 2003, 9:20 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FWAAA:
But your posts here have certainly opened a window on how you think.</font>
Think - Act

Two, totally different.

Old Mar 19, 2003, 9:22 am

</font>
Opinions, gotta luv 'um.

Old Mar 19, 2003, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Well, share with us YOUR opinion. Are these things OK? Can the TSA do anything it likes as long as they chant the magic word "security" beforehand? Do you recognize any limits at all on the TSA's authority? I really want to know.

Bruce

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.