Wiki Posts
Search

Quick help needed on visa question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2020, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat
Quick help needed on visa question

My niece is headed to Italy today to study there for several months. I am not kidding, the dog ate her passport and visa last night. My sister and my niece are in line at the Chicago passport office as we speak. They have an expedited appointment to get a new passport.

Can she get the extended stay visa there? Can she get it in Italy? Would a US embassy or consulate be able to help her? Is there an embassy in Florence?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 10:16 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
I suggest contacting the Consulate General of Italy in Chicago ASAP to obtain a copy of the visa.

500 N Michigan Ave, Chicago, IL 60611

Hours: 9 am to 12.30 pm

Phone: (312) 467-1550

Edited to add: FOR VISAS – If you are unable to find an appointment online and have an emergency, please send an email to [email protected], specifying your request and the particulars of the situation.
Often1, GUWonder, Yoshi212 and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat
Originally Posted by TWA884
I suggest contacting the Consulate General of Italy in Chicago ASAP to obtain a copy of the visa.

500 N Michigan Ave, Chicago, IL 60611

Hours: 9 am to 12.30 pm

Phone: (312) 467-1550

Edited to add: FOR VISAS – If you are unable to find an appointment online and have an emergency, please send an email to [email protected], specifying your request and the particulars of the situation.
Thank you so much. We are doing that.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 10:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you missed the Chicago hours, the DC consulate provides an after hours number for "proven emergencies" 202-612-4411. No idea whether yours is what Italy considers a "proven emergency" but it is worth a try to see if DC can have the visa copy issued in Chicago, or whatever other resolution might work.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 11:13 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Italy can at times issue extended stay national visas in Italy for those who arrived without a visa, but I don’t know how convenient that is there. I just know that it’s been done. For at least some other Schengen countries, it can be way easier and faster to go back home to have it done and then return. Keep in mind that the airlines and/or Schengen passport control may want to see proof of departure from the Schengen zone within 90 days of arrival unless having a visa, a visa-substitute, a visa-waiver or residency permit letter/sticker/card.

What I would do is get the replacement passport, and then deal with Italian consular officials in the US. And if while doing this the flight is scheduled to leave, show up at the airport and inform the airline of the situation in person. Why? Because the airline reps at airports may be more willing to ignore/waive change fees.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 10, 2020 at 11:18 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.