Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

What to do when the I94 form is not returned upon departure from the US?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do when the I94 form is not returned upon departure from the US?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2016, 10:19 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
At least for US VWP users, beware that time spent in foreign contiguous territory or adjacent islands to the US after visiting the US or between visits to the US may complicate the calculation of days counted toward an approved stay in the US.

For visa users, an entry stamp to another country or other credible evidence or story can be enough to satisfy CBP under most common circumstances like that of the OP's subject.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Steve M
There really is no entry control. I have crossed into Mexico on foot at the Tijuana border crossing several times. It's simply a matter of two sets of one-way turnstiles, no more formal than exiting a zoo. There is one point where Mexican Customs has an officer stationed there that can pull people aside for a Customs inspection, but virtually nobody is pulled aside. And, there is zero in terms of Immigration inspection. It's not just a matter of them not stamping your passport - nobody checks anyone's passport at all.
Though probably not at the time of the OP's crossing, but the above is no longer true at the Tijuana/San Ysidro crossing into Mexico. They actually do have a real building now. Gone are the days of the disinterested customs officers watching the turnstiles. There is now a dedicated pedestrian entry building, staffed by Mexican immigration officials, in which you do have to present a passport (or Passport card) and get a cursory interview by immigration. If you presented a passport they stamp it, if a card, they don't. Then you go to a red/green randomizer for customs, but they'll let you bypass it if it is obvious you're not carrying anything.

It surprised me the first time I crossed it last October after many years of not crossing. I'd estimate it's still less than a year old.

I did ask once for a non-US citizen friend considering a day trip to Tijuana, and it was recommended to drop off the I-94 (if they had one) at the US CBP office before crossing (and to pick up a new blank one).

Edit: I don't know if that would have worked. He decided against the day-trip.

Last edited by RandomNobody; Jul 6, 2016 at 6:13 pm
Old Jul 6, 2016, 7:30 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by RandomNobody
Though probably not at the time of the OP's crossing, but the above is no longer true at the Tijuana/San Ysidro crossing into Mexico. They actually do have a real building now. Gone are the days of the disinterested customs officers watching the turnstiles. There is now a dedicated pedestrian entry building, staffed by Mexican immigration officials, in which you do have to present a passport (or Passport card) and get a cursory interview by immigration. If you presented a passport they stamp it, if a card, they don't. Then you go to a red/green randomizer for customs, but they'll let you bypass it if it is obvious you're not carrying anything.

It surprised me the first time I crossed it last October after many years of not crossing. I'd estimate it's still less than a year old.

I did ask once for a non-US citizen friend considering a day trip to Tijuana, and it was recommended to drop off the I-94 (if they had one) at the US CBP office before crossing (and to pick up a new blank one).

Edit: I don't know if that would have worked. He decided against the day-trip.
That contradicts CBP's online advice, you're supposed to keep your I-94 (if you have a paper I-94) when going for short visits to Mexico/Canada (i.e. the same circumstances in which the VWP 90 days doesn't reset):

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...l-have-my-i-94

If taking short trips (30 days or less) to Canada, Mexico, or the Caribbean Islands during the course of your visit to the U.S., hold onto your I-94 or I-94 (W); it should only be turned in when you leave the U.S. to return home.
What happens if you didn't have a paper I-94 isn't entirely clear. As far as I understand it, you wouldn't be given a paper I-94 if you'd previously entered the US and had an electronic I-94 that is still valid (i.e. fly to US, short trip to canada/mexico, crossing via land borders). But you would receive (and pay for) a paper I-94 if it's a new entry (ie. flew to mexico, then crossed into the US). The documentation on this isn't 100% clear, I wouldn't recommend relying on this interpretation.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
The fact that the guy is apparently a shiftless hobo might be a bigger problem getting a second entry to the US than not turning in an I-94.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 12:49 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Paper I94 not removed at departure

I entered US (have ESTA) via land border, so was issued an old-style white I94. Upon departure (AA commercial flight), the check-in agent forgot to remove it, and I only noticed during security screening: since I was travelling with an injured wife and two kids, it was too much hassle to go back to the check-in desk.

I seemed to recall that one had to post it back, but this site (CBP) suggests that if flying by commercial air carrier, there is no need...am I safe to just ignore and hope for the best?

tb
Old Mar 6, 2018, 9:28 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Action

Originally Posted by trueblu
I entered US (have ESTA) via land border, so was issued an old-style white I94. Upon departure (AA commercial flight), the check-in agent forgot to remove it, and I only noticed during security screening: since I was travelling with an injured wife and two kids, it was too much hassle to go back to the check-in desk.

I seemed to recall that one had to post it back, but this site (CBP) suggests that if flying by commercial air carrier, there is no need...am I safe to just ignore and hope for the best?

tb
Hi @trueblu,

I've merged your question into an existing thread on this topic.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Mar 7, 2018, 3:37 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

tb
To minimize the chances of a hassle on some future visit to the US or when seeking US consular services, I would suggest to photocopy the form and your boarding pass, and then, mail in the original form along with a copy of your boarding pass.

I say this because there are still times when the PNR feed to CBP doesn’t get processed properly for some passengers and can result in tracking flaws that mean a problem on later trips for those who may appear to have possibly exceeded their permitted stay rules or to have had a passport mis-use history.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 28, 2019 at 10:56 am
Old Mar 7, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver

tb
Have you checked the I-94 website to see if they've recorded an exit? If so, an exit that wasn't to Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean should be a 'clean' exit.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 2:07 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Skatering
Have you checked the I-94 website to see if they've recorded an exit? If so, an exit that wasn't to Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean should be a 'clean' exit.
Excellent suggestion.

Here's a link:

Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by Skatering
Even an exit to Canada, Mexico, or the Caribbean can be a 'clean' exit.

If departing by air, CBP's I-94 automation Fact Sheet advises that "travelers issued a paper Form I-94 should surrender it to the commercial carrier [or] CBP upon departure." In addition, the airline's APIS manifest is matched up with the CBP I-94 issuance data in their systems. (Although for an example of how that go can wrong, see this thread: Visa Waiver Program - I-94 Expiry - Compliance Notification Email )

If departing by land, the visitor should hand the paper I-94 (if they were issued one because they entered by land) to the CBSA border guard on the way into Canada, or a CBP officer on the way into Mexico.

CBP INFO Center answer:

If you have a paper form I-94 and depart by land, you can turn the form into Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) upon entry into Canada or to CBP at the port of entry prior to entering Mexico.
former Inspector's Field Manual (FOIA PDF part 2, page 4):

Signifying departure on Form I-94 with a CBP Admission Stamp:

In the routine course of operations, you will receive departure portions of Form I-94, Form I-94W or Form I-94A. This may occur when individual aliens seek to report their departure, or carriers and border management officials return departure Forms I-94 under a local operating agreement. ...

... In some circumstances, at some locations, border control officials from Canada or Mexico may apply their admission stamp to the reverse of a departure Form I-94. If the date on a Canadian or Mexican admission stamp reflects a current departure from the U.S. and entry to contiguous foreign territory, this is acceptable as evidence of departure from the U.S.
IFM (FOIA PDF part 8, page 10):

(c) Departure I-94 forms and other documents. Collection of departure I-94 forms at land borders has always been difficult, resulting in inaccurate Nonimmigrant Information System records. Canadian immigration officials collect some departure documents for DHS, other I-94 departure forms may be retained by the alien for reentry. Collection boxes for depositing some departure I-94 forms are in place at some Mexican border crossings.
Departure forms collected by Canadian immigration or deposited in collection boxes should be reviewed to insure departure information is endorsed on the back and regularly forwarded for data entry ...

IFM (FOIA PDF part 10, page 2):

Document Collection. Canadian officials have agreed to collect departure documents (Forms I-94) for INS when they encounter nonimmigrants entering Canada who will not be returning to the U.S.

Last edited by Newbie2FT; Mar 9, 2018 at 11:23 am Reason: IFM, fact sheet
Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:06 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Thanks for the advice. I had initially checked my entry/ departure, and it showed "not available", which got me worried and prompted the query to FT. But rechecking it today, it does show my departure date correctly, although it states location as "not available" (it was LAX), and same remark on a couple of other previous departures (and I entered US without issue after those -- those weren't paper I94 journeys).

I'm going to keep my BP in my travel bag, but I'm thinking (?hoping) that I now don't need to send in my I94 as a back-up...

tb
Old Jun 26, 2019, 11:19 am

How did it go, I am in the same situation
Old Jun 28, 2019, 4:43 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by Lars Johansen
How did it go, I am in the same situation
From CBP's I-94 FAQ: https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/faq

What do I need to do if my departure information is incorrect or inaccurate?

CBP tracks departures in a variety of manners, but not all departures are available on the website. If you are departing by air or sea, your departure is recorded electronically. There may be times when this information does not appear accurate. There is no formal action to take. CBP will not update the records available on the website.

Also, some land border departures may not be recorded in CBP systems. Land border departures on the Southern Border are not always documented. A departure will be recorded if you depart via land and re-enter the United States prior to the expiration date stamped in your passport. If you are not a resident of Canada or Mexico and you receive an electronic I-94 and depart via land, but do not re-enter the United States prior to the expiration date stamped on your passport, you may want to travel with evidence of your departure into Canada or Mexico. Evidence of departure can include, but is not limited to, foreign entry stamps in a passport, transportation tickets, pay stubs and/or other receipts.

How do I report my departure if I enter via air and depart via land?

If you have a paper form I-94 and depart by land, you can turn the form into Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) upon entry into Canada or to CBP at the port of entry prior to entering Mexico. If you received an electronic I-94 upon arrival by air or sea and depart via land, your departure may not be recorded accurately. A departure will be recorded if you depart via land and re-enter the United States prior to the expiration date stamped in your passport. If you are not a resident of Canada or Mexico and you receive an electronic I-94 and depart via land, but do not re-enter the United States prior to the expiration date stamped on your passport, you may want to travel with evidence of your departure into Canada or Mexico. Evidence of departure can include, but is not limited to, entry stamps in a passport, transportation tickets, pay stubs and/or other receipts. A traveler can request an entry stamp from CBSA when entering Canada or from the InstitutoNacional de Migracion (INM) when entering Mexico.

Why did I receive an email from U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) asking me to check my status on the I-94 website?

CBP is taking proactive steps to ensure travelers comply with their terms of admission by sending reminders about time left in the United States and notifications to travelers who have potentially overstayed their period of admission. In order to facilitate notification, CBP has added a traveler compliance check to the I-94 website. You can find the traveler compliance check under the 'View Compliance' tab on the website.

While the email notification is new, there is no change in CBP's policies or enforcement actions. This proactive approach only changes how visible CBP's work is to the travelling public.

Travelers may receive an email indicating they have 10 days remaining on their admission into the United States or an email regarding a potential violation. If you receive an email, you may check your admission status at https://I94.cbp.dhs.gov.

The email notification will come from [email protected]. If your notification email did not come from this address, it may be a phishing scam or other fraudulent email.
From these three Q&As, it seems that
1) I-94 website-visible data is not always accurate,
2) Travelers with inconsistent/inaccurate data shown on the I-94 web site might choose to travel with evidence documenting a prior departure, and
3) "Nothing has changed" - the email notifications simply makes visible to travelers information that CBP has always collected.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 4:26 am

CBP didn't record exit from US

I am on another message board (Disney related, but this question comes from a Disney Cruise Line cruise). Apparently, on a Transatlantic cruise (US to Europe), CBP was not properly notified (or didn't properly record the notification) of the passengers on the cruise. Therefore, none of the non-US passengers are recorded as having left the US (I guess the US passengers were also not marked as exiting, but that isn't such an issue (I don't think).

Things came to a head when passengers starting getting notified that they are about to overstay their visas/ESTAs. Predictably, a lot of finger pointing going on. Has anyone heard of this happening before? Any suggestions on what people can do? They've contacted the cruise line, Embassy, CBP, etc.

This seemed the most likely place to find people who might have suggestions.

Thread - https://www.disboards.com/threads/he...untry.3761532/
Old Jul 28, 2019, 10:58 am

Moderator's Action

Hello @frontenac551,

I merged your question into an existing thread on this subject.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.