FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   What to do when the I94 form is not returned upon departure from the US? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1946245-what-do-when-i94-form-not-returned-upon-departure-us.html)

Tor Viking Apr 8, 2009 2:20 am

What to do when the I94 form is not returned upon departure from the US?

I searched around for an answer, but couldn`t find it so here goes...

I have two passports.
Norwegian + Australian.
On my last trip I forgot to hand over the green I94 when I left for London.
Entry was used with the Norwegian passport.
I`m going to Melbourne through SFO on Tuesday and I wondered:
Will US immigration accept it as another entry even though I`m well within the 90 day stay? Actually just under 30 days.
Or should I just send it my mail with copies of this and that...= such a pain.
And then just travel on my Australian passport?

Thanks.

pinkcat Apr 8, 2009 5:29 am

They always do a new entry, my 90 days is never up by the time I visit again. I would just post the form back to them, the airline should take them as far as I know. as for whether to use an EU passport or an Australian one, I guess its about the same

Centurion210 Apr 8, 2009 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Tor Viking (Post 11546482)
I searched around for an answer, but couldn`t find it so here goes...

I have two passports.
Norwegian + Australian.
On my last trip I forgot to hand over the green I94 when I left for London.
Entry was used with the Norwegian passport.
I`m going to Melbourne through SFO on Tuesday and I wondered:
Will US immigration accept it as another entry even though I`m well within the 90 day stay? Actually just under 30 days.
Or should I just send it my mail with copies of this and that...= such a pain.
And then just travel on my Australian passport?

Thanks.

Use it again. Its multiple entry, though SFO may yank it when you depart for Melbourne.

visawaiveridiot Jun 23, 2015 3:37 pm

Failed to hand in I-94, realised seven years later

I visited the US in 2008, as part of an organised group. I'm a British citizen, and had a visa waiver. All was well and good, I stayed for just over three weeks and had an amazing time.

I entered via Canada on a coach, and left via Canada on an overnight train. I'm pretty sure that I was asleep (not that that excuses me at all). I then completely forgot about the issue.

I've recently been going through old things, and have found my old passport, complete with the green card stapled in. I can't provide the train ticket to prove that I left, but I'm sure that I could provide my old school records and bank statements to prove that I left promptly, as well as a letter from the tour leader if needs be. Since leaving the US, I've studied at college/ university, held down jobs and travelled to other countries.

I've already posted this to reddit, and it was suggested that I post here as well. Are there any possible ramifications that I should know about? I'm quite keen to return to the US at some point. I've read the advice offered here (https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...l-have-my-i-94) is there anything else that I should know?

cestmoi123 Jun 26, 2015 11:55 am

Sounds like that site you link gives very specific advice on how to handle this. I'd follow it.

alphaod Jul 1, 2015 10:13 pm

The webpage looks very specific on what you need to do. I think you'll be fine if you follow it. I would suggest you mail via UPS/FedEx/DHL whatever rather than via post.

SeriouslyLost Jul 2, 2015 1:57 am

On the off chance they've backloaded the data correctly, check your entry/exit record online before doing anything

https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/consent.html

If the record is there and it shows you having departed then do nothing. Otherwise, have at it to correct the record.

cestmoi123 Jul 2, 2015 7:34 am

Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost (Post 25058243)
On the off chance they've backloaded the data correctly, check your entry/exit record online before doing anything

https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/consent.html

If the record is there and it shows you having departed then do nothing. Otherwise, have at it to correct the record.

Excellent advice, didn't realize the data was that easily obtainable!

SeriouslyLost Jul 2, 2015 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by cestmoi123 (Post 25059122)
Excellent advice, didn't realize the data was that easily obtainable!

Only useful if the record is there! CBP have been very erratic on backloading data into the system and a record from ~8 years ago will definitely be pushing things. I wouldn't honestly expect it to be there, but it's def worth checking.

reclusive46 Apr 23, 2016 5:12 pm

Forgot to hand in i94

Hi,
I forgot to hand in my i94 when leaving but will be back in the US well before the 90 days are up. Should I bother posting it back?

bruceba Apr 23, 2016 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by reclusive46 (Post 26526089)
Hi,
I forgot to hand in my i94 when leaving but will be back in the US well before the 90 days are up. Should I bother posting it back?

I stopped filling in i94s about two years ago.how long ago were you issued it?
Have you overstayed more than two Years?

reclusive46 Apr 23, 2016 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by bruceba (Post 26526135)
I stopped filling in i94s about two years ago.how long ago were you issued it?

They still issue them at land borders.

TWA884 Apr 24, 2016 1:04 am

Originally Posted by reclusive46 (Post 26526089)
Hi,

U.S. Customs and Border Protection:
I forgot to turn in my I-94 when I left the U.S., what should I do?

<snip>

If you departed by a commercial air or sea carrier (airlines or cruise ships), your departure from the U.S. can be independently verified, and it is not necessary to take any further action, although holding on to your outbound (from the U.S.) boarding pass - if you still have it - can help facilitate your reentry next time you come back to the United States.

If you departed by land, private vessel or private plane, you will need to take steps to correct the record. If you do not validate your timely departure from the United States, or, if you cannot reasonably prove you departed within the time frame given to you when you entered, the next time you apply for admission to the U.S., Customs and Border Protection (CBP) may conclude you remained in the U.S. beyond your authorized stay. If this happens, your visa may be subject to cancellation or you may be returned immediately to your foreign point of origin.

<snip>

If you failed to turn in your I-94 Departure Record, please send it, along with any documentation that proves you left the United States. As of November 1, 2014, the address is:

Coleman Data Solutions
Box 7965
Akron, OH 44306
Attn: NIDPS (I-94)
USA

(If using U.S. Postal Service)

OR

Coleman Data Solutions
3043 Sanitarium Road, Suite 2
Akron, OH 44312
Attn: NIDPS (I-94)

(If using FedEx or UPS)

<snip>

invisible Jul 5, 2016 10:20 am

No exit control from US - who/how to check the days spent in US?

Here is the real story: friend of mine (world traveller with backpack only) two years ago got visitor's visa to US (with 6 month validity), arrived at ORD, went from there to San Francisco, Los Angeles and San Diego while visiting various National Parks on the way.

After two month in US he left - by walking thru border with Tijuana. If you have an experience crossing that border by foot, you know that there is no either exit or entry control.

So he is asking - if he wants to come back to US, how is he going to prove that he did not overstay his visitor status on B2?

Loren Pechtel Jul 5, 2016 11:40 am

Originally Posted by invisible (Post 26873161)
Here is the real story: friend of mine (world traveller with backpack only) two years ago got visitor's visa to US (with 6 month validity), arrived at ORD, went from there to San Francisco, Los Angeles and San Diego while visiting various National Parks on the way.

After two month in US he left - by walking thru border with Tijuana. If you have an experience crossing that border by foot, you know that there is no either exit or entry control.

So he is asking - if he wants to come back to US, how is he going to prove that he did not overstay his visitor status on B2?

Even when you exit by air the I-94 doesn't always get collected.

Last week we took her sister to YVR, at immigration on the way home the official noted an old I-94 still stapled in her passport. He let us in no problem but warned her that such things could cause a problem. Guys, fix your system! She speaks basically zero English. (At YVR my wife was translating.) How is she supposed to figure out how to turn it in??