FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   New TSA Credential Authentication Technology ID Scanners - No Boarding Pass Required (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1845206-new-tsa-credential-authentication-technology-id-scanners-no-boarding-pass-required.html)

danib62 Jan 20, 2020 8:49 pm

BOS was using the new scanners today as well and I also tried to use my PIV card and was asked for an alternate ID as the new scanners don’t recognizerhen . Didn’t want to take the time to see what would happen if I said I didn’t have one so I gave him my driver’s license. I suspect I would’ve been able to be cleared but it would’ve been an annoying manual process.

danib62 Jan 20, 2020 8:52 pm

They had the new scanners out at BOS terminal C today. Tried to use my PIV card but was told the scanners don’t recognize them and was asked for an alternative ID. Didn’t feel like pressing my luck so I gave the TSO my drivers license.

nrr Jan 21, 2020 7:21 pm

I'm in CLEAR (which I've used at LAS and JFK T4/T2), except for "randoms" you never show ID (they have that registered in their system) but must show a bp.
Do the new machines recognize GE cards?

danib62 Jan 21, 2020 7:23 pm

I’ve successfully used a GE card with the new machines with no issues.

eigenvector Jan 25, 2020 4:42 pm

Experienced the new scanner for the first time flying out of PHX T4 last week. The scanners seemed incredibly slow, taking 10+ seconds to validate my NEXUS card and a similar amount of my for my travel companion's Canadian passport. There was a queue at the ID check but not in the actual Pre Check security lane because of this.

Epod Jan 30, 2020 12:29 pm

I saw one of these at STL on Thursday Jan 23, at the Pre-Check line for Terminal 2 (also called the Southwest terminal, or the East Terminal, depending on how long you have lived in Saint Louis). It scanned my Global Entry card, and the TSA person operating it had no interest in seeing my boarding pass.

Interestingly, a traveler who had arrive ahead of me was corralled off the the side near that machine with another TSA blue shirt, who was saying "Sir, we are unable to verify you". I was late and caffeine deprived and didn't find a reason to linger and see how that resolved.

I assume that some of the valid IDs (tribal IDs in particular) may not be machine readable, and I wonder what happens if a traveler show up with an ID which is valid, but isn't readable by their machine.

I also have to think that given a passport from a low tech third world nation that the scanner could do little more than verify that it has machine readable characters printed in the appropriate spots specified by the international standard for passports, and that it would be unable to pull data from the issuing country's passport database.

Although this will presumably catch fake IDs that are cosmetically good but technically flawed, I have to think that the TSA staff will fall into the habit of saying "The machine thinks it's an ID, so we're through here...NEXT!" while paying less attention to the appearance of the ID, and to comparing the photo to the traveler...I suspect this will make it easier to use a fake ID that is appropriately machine readable, but which is not a good cosmetic twin of the real thing.

With tongue firmly in cheek, I suggest it will also be interesting to see if this machine accepts Costco memberships cards as valid ID, as so many TSA humans have done over the years.

kennycrudup Jan 30, 2020 12:34 pm

Yeah, forgot to add about my experience at PDX last week; I'd just changed my ticket to an earlier flight and went straight to PC; even though the BP on my phone had the "Pre" marking on it, apparently my personal information hadn't propagated to <database> and the doc-only checker couldn't verify my GE ID right away; took about 5 more minutes before I'd showed up in their systems.

Normally my trips to PDX are one single carryon so I just enter the PC line with my later BP and standby at the gate, but this time I'd had checked bags so changed at the counter (and was issued a new BP).

Often1 Jan 30, 2020 1:10 pm

US DL's which account for the overwhelming majority of ID docs presented are very quick. Non-DL's which are recognized are a bit slower and can take as long as 10-15 seconds. Other acceptable ID which isn't machine readable require manual intervention and will do so for the conceiveable future.

It's a great system for most travelers.

Nayef Jan 30, 2020 1:41 pm

I think I experienced those machines at BOS last August and it went swimmingly. Was surprised too when I wasn't asked for my boarding pass.

televisor Feb 1, 2020 7:15 am

SFO (outsourced TSA) has these in at least T3. Most people were being told that there was no need for the BP. It didn't seem to actually save any time though.

After showing a UK passport, BP was asked for - and they did the old fashioned verification - machine was not used at all.

danib62 Feb 3, 2020 12:15 pm

Encountered the scanners at BOS terminal A yesterday evening. Presented my PIV card. TSO fed it into the machine and it didn't recognize it. TSO requested alternate ID and gave him my drivers license.

phltraveler Feb 4, 2020 2:25 pm

Just encountered one of these for the first time at TPA A-gates, went to offer up my boarding pass and the TSO said you don't need that today. The TSO put my NEXUS card in the reader, took about 7-8 seconds before the machine produced a chime (seemingly a satisfied/OK/good tone).

Faster than a paper boarding pass where the TSO has to circle a few items with the pen? Maybe.
Faster than a digital boarding pass/ID check? Seemingly not. Although I'm not sure it matters - after the ID check the longer part of the line seemed to be carry-on bag scanning as far as a bottleneck.

Yhztraveller Feb 11, 2020 5:54 pm

Had issues twice in the past 2 weeks in BOS with the machine/scanner. My wife and I gave our Nexus cards to TSA agent, he inserted, said he found our flights, but that we were not TSA Pre. I showed him our Air Canada boarding pass with TSA Pre printed on them. He said that didn't matter his system said we were not pre-clear. He blamed Air Canada.

We went to the regular line where the TSA agent scanned our boarding pass and wrote "expedited" on the Boarding Pass. I asked her if that meant we were TSA Pre and she said yes, and pointed to the TSA Pre printed on the pass.

My wife went through a week later, thru same security, and had the same issue.

TWA884 Mar 2, 2020 10:59 am

In The Sacramento Bee:

TSA announces new security measures at Sacramento International Airport checkpoints

Passengers at Sacramento International Airport are no longer required to show their boarding pass at the federal Transportation Security Administration federal checkpoint, federal officials announced on Thursday. Instead, checkpoint agents are employing new technology that can scan a flier’s driver license or other identification and electronically verify if that person is on a list of ticketed passengers for flights out of the Sacramento airport on that day.

The new identification verification system, called Credential Authentication Technology, is being introduced this month at airports nationally. The technology connects to the TSA’s Secure Flight database, which identifies people who are on the federal government’s “no fly” list.

Federal officials also warned fliers that when they buy their plane tickets, they should make sure the name on their boarding pass is identical to the name on their driver license or other ID. Otherwise, federal agents are likely to send passengers back to the airline counter to change their ticketing name so that it matches their ID.

EAJuggalo Mar 2, 2020 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by Epod (Post 32013105)
I assume that some of the valid IDs (tribal IDs in particular) may not be machine readable, and I wonder what happens if a traveler show up with an ID which is valid, but isn't readable by their machine.

There is no way my Tribal ID would be machine readable. It looks like a 5th grader did it in a bad photoshop knock off. I've had it for 10 years and it never expires. Maybe I will try it at MKE in two weeks and see what the ID checker says.