FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   New TSA Credential Authentication Technology ID Scanners - No Boarding Pass Required (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1845206-new-tsa-credential-authentication-technology-id-scanners-no-boarding-pass-required.html)

UAPremExecflyer Oct 12, 2018 8:34 am

From May 2017 New TSA ID scanners for PreCheck Passengers - No Boarding Passes Required/Used

TWA884 Oct 12, 2018 8:59 am

Moderator's Action

Originally Posted by N830MH (Post 30306161)
i didn’t know TSA has already installed new ID scan for PreCheck. I flew out from Miami airport by yesterday. Is that new? I went to PreCheck checkpoints and I scan my eboarding pass from my iPhone and then the next one I went to ID checker. I gave my travel ID to screener. She scanned it and I hear beep. When it did happen? When it did starts?

Hello @N830MH,

I've merged your post into the referenced exiting thread on this topic.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

phltraveler Nov 6, 2018 2:55 pm

I went through IAD last Thursday (November 1st) - machine was present but offline and TSA Officer was doing the standard Desko Penta boarding pass scanner + blacklight for the ID.

The Credential Authentication Technology Scanners apparently did spot a fake ID a couple weeks back; the passenger successfully fled but left behind baggage (which had several other fake IDs).

N830MH Nov 11, 2018 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by phltraveler (Post 30401230)
I went through IAD last Thursday (November 1st) - machine was present but offline and TSA Officer was doing the standard Desko Penta boarding pass scanner + blacklight for the ID.

The Credential Authentication Technology Scanners apparently did spot a fake ID a couple weeks back; the passenger successfully fled but left behind baggage (which had several other fake IDs).

Yup, they sure did. It was ID fraudulent. Something isn't right. He left from checkpoint, but TSA did not catch him. He could be arrested for travel fraudulent. They never catch him and they did not find him. It could be breach security.

tatterdema Jan 12, 2019 12:31 am

No Boarding Pass?

On Sunday, TSA PRE at SEA were actively telling people to put away their boarding passes, that they were not taking them. Sure enough, I tried to hand mine to the agent, he brushed it aside, looked at my ID, and waved me through. They were not taking cell phone boarding passes either.

Is this something new?

TWA884 Jan 12, 2019 10:16 am

Moderator's Action

Originally Posted by tatterdema (Post 30644326)
Is this something new?

Hello @tatterdema,

I merged your question into the relevant thread.

This system has been in use, on at least a trial basis, at some airports for about a year and a half.

TWA884

danib62 May 13, 2019 9:56 am

BOS only scanning ID at TSA checkpoint

Flying home through terminal C at BOS yesterday in the precheck lanes all you had to do was present your ID at the checkpoint and the TSO would just scan it in a machine. No need to scan your BP. Is this a new program? I assume it matches your ID to your itinerary somewhere on the backend.

TWA884 May 13, 2019 10:17 am

Moderator's Note

Hello @danib62,

This pilot program has been around for a couple of years. I've merged your post into the referenced exiting thread on this topic.

TWA884

gfunkdave Oct 4, 2019 2:59 pm

TSA - No Boarding Pass Needed?

Just went through PreCheck at BOS terminal C. The TSA didn't need my BP - just scanned my [non-RealID] driver's license.

Is this new? I haven't seen it before and didn't see any threads on it.

flyerCO Oct 4, 2019 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave (Post 31594572)
Just went through PreCheck at BOS terminal C. The TSA didn't need my BP - just scanned my [non-RealID] driver's license.

TSA is testing various different things at different airports. This is one of the things being trialed.

danib62 Oct 7, 2019 11:14 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave (Post 31594572)

They're wildly inconsistent with it. Saw it used once at BOS in terminal C and haven't seen it used since.

kennycrudup Oct 7, 2019 11:17 am

Originally Posted by danib62 (Post 31602262)
They're wildly inconsistent with it. Saw it used once at BOS in terminal C and haven't seen it used since.

Ditto PDX last year. Twice over a period in the summer(?) then done.

jlc1978 Dec 7, 2019 11:19 am

New ID check method at DCA

So I was flying back from DCA and handed the agent my federal ID badge. He didn't have one of those UV lights to check it, instead he slid it into a new machine, which rejected it. It seems that ID's no require a special barcode and the standard federal ID doesn't have one. He asked for alternate ID, and I asked him why because it was a federally issued ID that I had just used fly from ATL. He said since the machine can't recognize it so I need an alternate ID. Luckly I had my D/L with me, which worked fine. I could have eventually cleared with my federal ID after providing some other alternate ID.

TWA884 Dec 7, 2019 12:46 pm

Take a look at this thread:

jlc1978 Dec 7, 2019 4:20 pm

Thanks. I did not find that thread before I posted. The interesting thing to me is what are perfectly valid Ids are not acceptable using this technology. A passenger could use it at a non-pilot airport and then have to undergo a secondary verification at a pilot site. You'd think they would still accept the valid ID as before, but then this is the TSA.