Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with lithium batteries.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2019, 10:29 am

Highest capacity (<= 160 Wh) USB-C battery pack?

I'm looking for the largest battery pack that I can carry (with airline permission) that will charge a 2018 MacBook Pro (clearly it won't keep up with the required wattage, and that's fine... I just need it to slow down the drain and charge when turned off). Anyone have one? It's a surprisingly hard product to search for.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by djibouti
I'm looking for the largest battery pack that I can carry (with airline permission) that will charge a 2018 MacBook Pro (clearly it won't keep up with the required wattage, and that's fine... I just need it to slow down the drain and charge when turned off). Anyone have one? It's a surprisingly hard product to search for.
Wouldn't it be simpler to carry more than one that's under 100W?
Old Dec 6, 2019, 12:38 am

My use case is keeping my computer alive at trade shows that way overcharge for electricity, so I really need as much juice as possible. Yes, I can buy 3-4 100 Watts if needed, but I'd rather have a couple of bigger ones.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 8:42 pm

I've been very happy with this one.
Amazon Amazon

I bought it to power my 2017 15" MBP when I traveled to Europe earlier this year. Comes in at 99.1WH and nobody at my hometown airport, ORD, LHR, LIS or Eurostar batted an eye when passing through security. My only complaint is the thing weighs almost 1.5 pounds (~700g) so I only really used it on the plane and train.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 11:53 pm

Traveling with lithium batteries

Spare (uninstalled) lithium-ion and lithium metal batteries must be carried in carry-on baggage only. When a carry-on bag is checked at the gate or at planeside, all spare lithium batteries must be removed from the bag and kept with the passenger in the aircraft cabin.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 6:35 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA
I just bought a 30000mah, will let you know when I travel this weekend with it and a 20,000mah. I have never seen anyone inspect mine, but I haven't been International since 2017.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 10:55 pm

How many powerbanks are you allowed to carry?

I read it is 2 of them. And the maximum allowed is 100Wh. Does this mean you could bring 2 powerbanks where each is under 100Wh? Or if if you bring one that is under 100Wh.. let say it is 95Wh. The other one has to be under 65Wh?

I do see it is mentioned

You are allowed a maximum of two power banks between 100Wh and 160Wh

Another important aspect to consider is that each person is allowed to have no more than two batteries of 100Wh to 160Wh onboard.

So if you bring just one powerbank, it has to be under 100Wh. If you bring in 2 powerbanks... each need to be below 100Wh and the combined Wh has to be under 160Wh... is that correct? Or could each powerbank be 95Wh and that is fine?

Does this apply to domestic or international flights from the US to wherever?
Old Oct 16, 2022, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by jerry90210
I read it is 2 of them. And the maximum allowed is 100Wh. Does this mean you could bring 2 powerbanks where each is under 100Wh? Or if if you bring one that is under 100Wh.. let say it is 95Wh. The other one has to be under 65Wh?

I do see it is mentioned

You are allowed a maximum of two power banks between 100Wh and 160Wh

Another important aspect to consider is that each person is allowed to have no more than two batteries of 100Wh to 160Wh onboard.

So if you bring just one powerbank, it has to be under 100Wh. If you bring in 2 powerbanks... each need to be below 100Wh and the combined Wh has to be under 160Wh... is that correct? Or could each powerbank be 95Wh and that is fine?

Does this apply to domestic or international flights from the US to wherever?
I think you bring as many as you want in your carry-on as long as they are 100Wh or less:
Spare (uninstalled) lithium ion and lithium metal batteries, including power banks and cell phone battery charging cases, must be carried in carry-on baggage only. Lithium metal (non-rechargeable) batteries are limited to 2 grams of lithium per battery. Lithium ion (rechargeable) batteries are limited to a rating of 100 watt hours (Wh) per battery. These limits allow for nearly all types of lithium batteries used by the average person in their electronic devices.
But if you have airline approval you could bring 2 bigger lithium batteries (101 to 160Wh EACH):
With airline approval, passengers may also carry up to two spare larger lithium ion batteries (101–160 Wh) or lithium metal batteries (2-8 grams). This size covers the larger after-market extended-life laptop computer batteries and some larger batteries used in professional audio/visual equipment. There is a limit of two spare batteries per person for the larger lithium ion batteries described above (101–160 watt hours per battery.
AirborneLocksmith likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 6:19 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I am thinking of taking a trickle charger for a friend of mine. I bought it brand and new and it was actually shipped to me by air from the UK. Does anyone know the rules on this? Can I carry it it my checked luggage or I had to hand carry it in my carry on?

Last edited by Davvidd; Oct 26, 2022 at 7:03 am
Old Jan 28, 2023, 3:34 pm

Gate checked bags cannot contain lithium batteries

If overhead bin space runs out and you have a carry on bag with lithium batteries, can you say that you were refused to board because the batteries cannot be checked in.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 3:50 pm

You are asked to remove the lithium batteries when gate checking a bag for regional jets. The same request to remove lithium batteries is made when the overhead bins are full.

FAA lithium limits for the battery size and restricted to personal use only
galeaoguy likes this.

Last edited by TGarza; Jan 28, 2023 at 3:56 pm
Old Jun 28, 2023, 4:30 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Battery powered tyre pump allowed in hand luggage?

Hi all. Looking for a quick answer as my question is not specifically addressed on the AC website. I am flying tomorrow with a checked bike and have a small, battery-powered air compressor pump for tyres. It measures 16 x 9 x 5cm, weighs 900g and has a 7500 mAh battery. I understand that this is not allowed in checked baggage but can I take it in my hand luggage?

[I'm not being lazy I've got four sets of 29" tyres and four forks to re-inflate in one evening]

EDIT: I believe it converts to 67.5 Wh. It's basically an oversized powerbank.

Last edited by roberino; Jun 28, 2023 at 5:23 am Reason: Added info
Old Jun 29, 2023, 2:11 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
I am flying today with a checked bike and have a small, battery-powered air compressor pump for tyres.* It measures 16 x 9 x 5cm, weighs 900g and has a 7500 mAh/67.5 Wh battery (essentially an oversized powerbank). It didn't even get a raised eyebrow at the security station at LHR.

Amazon Amazon

*I'm not being lazy I've got four sets of 29" tyres and four forks to re-inflate in one evening
lamphs and chollie like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.