Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with lithium batteries.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2019, 3:59 pm

Do you know the voltage of the battery pack? Unless the roomba uses a battery pack bigger than 33 volts (which I highly doubt) you'll be fine* as you're under the 100Wh that most airlines, including BA, allow without contacting them first. You shouldn't have any TSA issues either.

* volts x amp hours = watt hours i.e. 3Ah x 33v = 99Wh.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:16 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
The specs for replacement batteries for the iRobot Roomba 675 are 14.4V 3000mAh, so @swoned should be fine.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swoned
I bought my wife an iRobot Roomba 675 which she's always been wanting, and I finally found a good enough deal to get it.
Tomorrow i plan to take it from PHX to Kyiv, Ukraine via EWR and LHR on American and British airlines.

The roomba has a 3000 mAh lithium battery in it. I don't believe it exceeds any limits on lithium ion battery products, but I want to make sure that I don;t get my bags confiscated either. Anyone have any suggestions?
I can remove the battery from the roomba, pack it separately, take it in my carry on, etc etc.... If worst comes to worst, i'd rather just sacrifice the battery and buy a replacement ratheer than deal with a TSA headache.

Does anyone here have any experiences similar?
Lithium-ion is carryon-only, must not be checked, but the battery you describe is fine whether it's in the Roomba or not.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Lithium-ion is carryon-only, must not be checked, but the battery you describe is fine whether it's in the Roomba or not.
If the battery is in the Roomba, it can be checked too; lithium-ion batteries under 100Wh and installed in a device other than a vape pen can be checked.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org..._batteries.pdf
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by swoned
I bought my wife an iRobot Roomba 675 which she's always been wanting, and I finally found a good enough deal to get it.
Tomorrow i plan to take it from PHX to Kyiv, Ukraine via EWR and LHR on American and British airlines.

The roomba has a 3000 mAh lithium battery in it. I don't believe it exceeds any limits on lithium ion battery products, but I want to make sure that I don;t get my bags confiscated either. Anyone have any suggestions?
I can remove the battery from the roomba, pack it separately, take it in my carry on, etc etc.... If worst comes to worst, i'd rather just sacrifice the battery and buy a replacement ratheer than deal with a TSA headache.

Does anyone here have any experiences similar?
Just to update everyone: I checked my luggage with the battery inside the roomba, but I did make sure the battery contacts were covered. I had no problems whatsoever, and TSA didn't inspect my baggage. I did mention to the american airways baggage check agent that there was a battery. She asked a few questions and told me it shouldn't be any problem. It was not. Thanks for the help everyone!
Old Mar 28, 2019, 12:36 pm

Hey all got a question. I bought a power bank charger recently for my dell laptop. Its this one

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell...pc-accessories

It has 18000 maH. I read online you need to travel it into WH and see if its below a certain limit. So would that mean i need to know how much Volts this has to do the calcuation?

Can someone tell me if i can travel with this internationally from the US to another country? Now does the destination country matter as well? Example if i take this and fly from the US to Mexico this is fine? And if its fine, then there would be no issue flying it from Mexico to the US back right? Thus I don't want an issue where I cannot bring it back from Mexico to the US. Also do different countries have different requirements? Example if i take this to europe or somewhere, it might be different? I read that certain Asian countries even confiscate powerbanks? But thats because nothing is written on the volt or mah on it?

Also whenever i fly internationally, i always take out my laptops out from my carry on. So these has to be taken out from the carry on right? For example this looks a lot like a dell charger for the laptop and i never took that out of my carry on. I just left it in my carryon and put in on those baskets so to speak and never had an issue.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:58 pm

i took a look at the back of the power bank. It says 11.1 V = 65 wh. So the 65 is the WH number right? So that means its fine since its under 100 WH?
Old Mar 29, 2019, 5:59 pm

anyone?
Old Mar 31, 2019, 3:09 pm

That would be correct.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:13 am

I have a 9 amp 18 volt battery I want to bring home the total watt hours is 162wh should this be a problem thanks
Old Apr 18, 2019, 5:31 pm

160Wh is the max you can take on typically without contacting the airline first. Since yours is 162Wh you may be able to get by with it but YMMV with the TSA.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adhamh Fox
I have a 9 amp 18 volt battery I want to bring home the total watt hours is 162wh should this be a problem thanks
It doesn't fly, period. Ship it by ground in a package that is properly marked as containing lithium batteries.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:40 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by der_saeufer
If the battery is in the Roomba, it can be checked too; lithium-ion batteries under 100Wh and installed in a device other than a vape pen can be checked.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org..._batteries.pdf
Thanks for that. I am looking at traveling with a bunch of these vacuum cleaners and mops. Any reason why hoverboads would still be treated differently by the FAA and/or airlines?

This is a few years old: https://mashable.com/2015/11/30/hove...e/?europe=true

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 22, 2019 at 2:47 am
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder

Thanks for that. I am looking at traveling with a bunch of these vacuum cleaners and mops. Any reason why hoverboads would still be treated differently by the FAA and/or airlines?

This is a few years old: https://mashable.com/2015/11/30/hove...e/?europe=true
Same reason vape pens are treated differently than flashlights or other small items that use the same batteries--a bunch of really low-quality products made it onto the market and caught fire, so airlines and/or governments banned them altogether.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Has anyone tried contacting AA or BA for permission to take a 130 Wh power bank in carry-on? Both state that they are permitted in carry-on with special permission. Will be traveling from the US to Paris and back on AA/BA.

The AA link takes you to their disability special assistance page and number (which is their main number anyway) and BA has a number and a special email address for battery inquiries.

Wondering what questions they will ask and how easy is is to get approval. I need it for laptop power as I will be away from power sources for a few days but need my laptop.

Will TSA/CDG security ask a lot of questions when they see it in carry-on?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.