Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I take Butter on the plane?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2015 | 9:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Ah....out of the US you may have had a nice visit at the baggage carrousel from Snoopy.
Old Nov 29, 2015 | 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
15 Years on Site

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by WIRunner
or would it need to get checked? It will be about 16 oz or so.

(We're wanting to bring spiced butter for hot buttered rum. I can see it being an issue in either checked or carry on.)
Sure you can. You have go to restaurants to get a small butter. You can take it on the plane. That won't have any problems with security.
Old Nov 29, 2015 | 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Countries Visited500k15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by N830MH
Sure you can. You have go to restaurants to get a small butter. You can take it on the plane. That won't have any problems with security.
We were looking at about 16 oz of it. So it would have been more than the single serving that I would have got at a restaurant.we didn't take it along anyway.
Old Oct 20, 2016 | 7:35 am

http://apps.tsa.dhs.gov/mytsa/cib_re...?search=butter

click and choose butter. Results:

You may transport this item in carry-on or checked baggage. For items you wish to carry on, you should check with the airline to ensure that the item will fit in the overhead bin or underneath the seat of the airplane.
To help officers get a clear look at your bag and reduce the need for additional screening, we suggest you pack your bag in neat layers (layer of clothes, layer of electronics, layer of clothes, layer of shoes, etc.) and wrap cords tightly around electronics items.

Even if an item is generally permitted, it may be subject to additional screening or not allowed through the checkpoint if it triggers an alarm during the screening process, appears to have been tampered with, or poses other security concerns. The final decision rests with TSA on whether to allow any items on the plane.

Personally I just put it out in a plastic bin with my freedom baggie and cell phone. A couple of times I've noticed them glance at it when it rolls out of the machine, but that's it. Back before it was technically allowed I've heard a lot of people say they froze it and put it into a soap dish with much success.
Old Oct 20, 2016 | 9:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
10 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
If it is cut into small slices and put into your Kippie bag, it shouldn't be a problem.

Be sure the slices are so small that even the most challenging screener can't refuse them on the grounds that without a label, he can't tell if the individual slices are <3.4 ounces.
Old Aug 3, 2018 | 2:00 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Butter as a Carry on

Does anyone know if you can bring three sticks of butter as a carry on or do I have to check it? I know that softened butter would be a liquid, but is a firm or frozen stick considered a liquid or gel?
Old Aug 3, 2018 | 2:27 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist
30 Countries Visited1M40 Nights10 Years on Site

Programs: oneword Emerald
Hello [MENTION=112039]SJC ORD LDR[/MENTION],

I merged your question into an existing thread discussing that subject.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Aug 3, 2018 | 2:44 pm
Suspended

It is (pretty obviously) a liquid.
Old Aug 3, 2018 | 2:47 pm
Suspended
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Does anyone know if you can bring three sticks of butter as a carry on or do I have to check it? I know that softened butter would be a liquid, but is a firm or frozen stick considered a liquid or gel?
Some say it’s a gel if it can be spread easily. Some say it’s not a gel if it’s too hard to be squeezed quickly and be applied.

Most of the time, they don’t fuss over butter. I would just take the frozen stick of butter and stick it in a plastic baggie with my toiletries.
Old Aug 3, 2018 | 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
It is (pretty obviously) a liquid.

If it was obvious, I wouldn't be asking the question...
TWA884 likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2018 | 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder

Some say it’s a gel if it can be spread easily. Some say it’s not a gel if it’s too hard to be squeezed quickly and be applied.

Most of the time, they don’t fuss over butter. I would just take the frozen stick of butter and stick it in a plastic baggie with my toiletries.
I have no toiletries on this trip, so it makes it easy to stick into a baggie. I could also bring a small cooler and check it (since I don't have to pay a baggage fee). I could be like that guy in Australia who checked a single can of beer.
Old Aug 3, 2018 | 5:35 pm
15 Years on Site

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
I can only imagine the look on a screener's face when your sticks of butter come thru the X-Ray
Attached Images  
Old Aug 9, 2018 | 2:58 am

Programs: None
I don't think this is a big deal to the security and I don't see any problem with this at all also.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.