Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Travelling with Lots of Estate Jewelry in Carry On

Old Jul 16, 2018, 1:09 am
Original Poster

My mom passed away a couple years ago and I inherited her jewelry. I live out of state and flew in to do some cleanup. I was planning on putting the jewelry in my carry on, I want to know how much of an issue this might become at security. I definitely have more jewelry than the average, luxury vacationer. Should I ask for a private screening at security? Bring a copy of her death certificate? Am i going to get arrested under suspision of smuggling?? Would like to be prepared and expect that there will be issues. Flight is domestic.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 1:53 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Im not sure why you think there would be a smuggling issue?

As far as I know its legal to take jewelry from one state to another. Are you talking about an amount that would fill up a carry-on? Or large jewelry box? My main concern would be being sure you had your eye on it at all times. Theres no way Id like something like that go through a scanner without me being able to see it all the way through.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: AC*SE 2MM, Marriott*Plutonium Lifetime, other stuff
Plus be careful with the weight. You really don't want this to be the time the airline makes you check your carry-on because it is too heavy......

TM
Loren Pechtel likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Welcome to FT.

I would put all of the jewelry into a nondescript locked non metallic container and put into my nondescript carry on. When you place it on the belt wait until it goes into the X-ray before you go through the nudi scope or WTMD. By the time it goes through the X-ray you should be through too. If you can not find something that can be locked, just tape it up so it is sealed securely.

If you are traveling with another person have them go through the nudi scope first so they can be on the other side before you go through. Otherwise I would not be overly concerned with a private screening, death cert etc.

FWIW before traveling you might want to contact your insurance carrier. Many have limits on jewelry coverage (like $5K-$10K). As such, you might need a rider so that the full value is covered in case of theft (regardless if traveling or at a home).
Old Jul 21, 2018, 7:05 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Don't let the bag out of your sight on the plane. Put it under your seat and take it with you if you go to the toilet.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the advice. I think I'm all set to go now.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 8:02 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Shannonrainyday
Thank you for the advice. I think I'm all set to go now.
OP let us know how it turned out.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 6:12 pm

I'm going to facing a similar problem. I was thinking about getting a fisherman's vest and putting the jewelry in the pockets and wearing it onboard. I'll probably safety pin the zippers shut from the inside.

You comments and suggestions are most welcome.

Last edited by profnot; Aug 9, 2018 at 6:25 pm
Old Aug 9, 2018, 6:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Take a look at the TSA list of prohibited items. If jewelry means rings, they are not prohibited. If jewelry means daggers, you have a problem.

Your biggest risks are not at the checkpoint, but other aspects of your travel. Make sure that the jewelry has been properly appraised and that you have an appropriate rider on what is likely your homeowners.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by profnot
I'm going to facing a similar problem. I was thinking about getting a fisherman's vest and putting the jewelry in the pockets and wearing it onboard. I'll probably safety pin the zippers shut from the inside.

You comments and suggestions are most welcome.
I ended up having no problems whatsoever on my trip. I placed the jewelry in a few plastic bags, transferred what I previously had in my purse to my backpack, and loaded up my purse with the jewelry. My purse was large and had multiple zippers on it. I was the only one going through security at the time, so I didn't have to worry about anyone having access to my purse after it went through the scanner. I even had to wait 10 minutes for someone to come man the security area... smallest airport I've ever been to! After security my purse never came off my shoulder and I had my hand on top of it the whole time.

If the vest looks to have some weight to it other traveler's may view as suspicious, a la suicide vest. The previous posters had some great advice!
TWA884 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.