Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

How can PAX be persuaded not to take their luggage in an emergency evac?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How can PAX be persuaded not to take their luggage in an emergency evac?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2015, 8:14 pm

"The only way to persuade pax not to take their luggage in an emergency evacuation is for the airline to have a policy where each pax is given USD 5,000 compensation (should be enough for most people unless you have lots of cash or gold bars in their luggage) should their carry-on bags get destroyed. Those who manage to take their bags with them will forgo the compensation. Not only this, the prompt payment of the compensation is required."

I like the above idea, but I think trying to determine who actually took their luggage and who didn't would be problematic. (family of four-leave one person with all the luggage while the other 3 claim they did not take theirs, etc. Maybe I am just suspicious, but you know there will be those that will try get more than they were suppose to.

Taking any luggage with you while evacuating is crazy - but I realize that people do crazy things during an emergency. I worry about trying to get past those that are holding up the line and that someone is either going to damage the slide with their luggage or end up hurting either themselves or someone else with it.

I also worry about everyone having their most important items in their hands during take-off and landing. Those items could end up flying through the air and injuring people. I expect we are thinking cash, passport and medicine - but you know that someone is going to think they HAVE to have their tablet, medicine box, etc - and multiply that by a hundred or so and that is a lot of stuff flying...

Just my thoughts...
Old Sep 28, 2015, 11:28 pm

In the event of an evacuation, assuming everything hasn't been burnt to a crisp, how long does it take for passengers to get their stuff (both carry ons and checked bags) back? Like, in the BA event in LAS, did they get it back later that week, or is no one allowed near the plane to collect bags until the investigation is completed in 2 years?

I think if there was some reasonable assurance that we'd get our stuff back quickly, I'd leave it behind. But I'll be honest, if I didn't have that assurance, I'd probably be grabbing my backpack which has my laptop, iPad, passport, etc, in it.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 9:16 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by t325
In the event of an evacuation, assuming everything hasn't been burnt to a crisp, how long does it take for passengers to get their stuff (both carry ons and checked bags) back?
In the case of US Airways 1549 (where everything was soaked) - 4 months.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/trave...returned_N.htm

The 150 passengers left their belongings behind for the Hudson to claim as they scrambled onto life rafts and rescue boats and the jet sank beneath 50 feet of dirty water.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT
Originally Posted by fishy21
If I am trying to evacuate a plane and the only thing standing in my way was an idiot retrieving their luggage from an overhead bin, s/he will be forcibly removed.
Originally Posted by DaveBlaine
By who? You?
May be "forcibly moved" is the better expression.

If it's life or death - and if we are doing an evac then I'm going to go with worst case - then you will be moved back out of the aisle very forcibly. Or I'll just throat punch you and trample over you to get out.

As others have noted. Wallet, phone keys and ID on me during take off and landing irrespective of flight duration or location.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 4:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by thetaxman
May be "forcibly moved" is the better expression.

If it's life or death - and if we are doing an evac then I'm going to go with worst case - then you will be moved back out of the aisle very forcibly. Or I'll just throat punch you and trample over you to get out.

As others have noted. Wallet, phone keys and ID on me during take off and landing irrespective of flight duration or location.
Sounds great - unless you encounter someone determined enough to pause and grab his bag that he's willing to throat punch you first.

Because violence is always the best approach to a secure and rapid evacuation.

Would you also throat punch and trample balky children, confused foreigners, elderly, handicapped - anyone who doesn't move as fast and expeditiously as you demand? Would you throat punch a mobility-impaired pax reaching into the overhead for a cane, too?
Old Oct 1, 2015, 6:59 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by chollie
Sounds great - unless you encounter someone determined enough to pause and grab his bag that he's willing to throat punch you first.

Because violence is always the best approach to a secure and rapid evacuation.

Would you also throat punch and trample balky children, confused foreigners, elderly, handicapped - anyone who doesn't move as fast and expeditiously as you demand? Would you throat punch a mobility-impaired pax reaching into the overhead for a cane, too?
Those are all great questions. I'm standing by for the answers.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 6:12 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Money is the least of my concerns. I have the luck to have a great job that brings in enough that replacing all my carry on (which would certainly run to several thousands of dollars) vs saving my life is not a question.

But. And this is a big but. Passport, medicines and teddy bear. Passport (and other relevant stuff) and a few hundred US greenbacks is in a neck pouch which I take on before takeoff and landing, this I have solved. Medicines for a day or two go in a keychain pill holder and that's in a pocket with keys. So these are solved. But that teddy bear has been with me since 1988 and it would be very hard to leave it (it..) behind. I have been running thought experiments since the Asiana crash at SFO and I can't for my life figure it out how could I have a 13" long and somewhat thick "item" (so you can't easily pocket it) not in a carry on but with me before landing. Beats me. If I go overboard and wear a small backpack sort of reversed, in front of me for landing then I will look extremely suspicious "does this guy expect a crash" sort of. Anecdote: I have never seen anyone wearing one.

Yes this is a personal specific problem but still I can very well understand why some people would try to grab their bag: it might contain, well, personal items.

Last edited by chx1975; Oct 8, 2015 at 6:25 pm
Old Oct 10, 2015, 3:05 pm

Programs: Emirates, Thai, TK
Originally Posted by t325
In the event of an evacuation, assuming everything hasn't been burnt to a crisp, how long does it take for passengers to get their stuff (both carry ons and checked bags) back? Like, in the BA event in LAS, did they get it back later that week, or is no one allowed near the plane to collect bags until the investigation is completed in 2 years?

I think if there was some reasonable assurance that we'd get our stuff back quickly, I'd leave it behind. But I'll be honest, if I didn't have that assurance, I'd probably be grabbing my backpack which has my laptop, iPad, passport, etc, in it.
I think that is the whole point, how long do you have to wait before you have your carry on back.
In the BA example the passengers where still waiting for their carry on after several weeks.
If there was a guarantee that the people would receive their stuff the same or next day (if not burnt to a crisp) i would not be worried about it.
But as it is now i can understand that people are taking their carry on with them.
As most people i cannot travel without at least my passport and credit cards.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 3:54 pm

Yeah this is why
this is so funny. Sure, you can evacuate an A380 in less than 80 seconds but you had people on the ground helping and there were no children, no elderly, no baggage, nothing. I think it would do a lot of good if airlines would begin an honest conversation about evac...
Old Oct 10, 2015, 4:08 pm

Programs: FB, M&M
Notice also that everybody speaks the same language (German in this case). On a random flight more communication issues would arise.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 9:17 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by merijn
I think that is the whole point, how long do you have to wait before you have your carry on back.
In the BA example the passengers where still waiting for their carry on after several weeks.
If there was a guarantee that the people would receive their stuff the same or next day (if not burnt to a crisp) i would not be worried about it.
But as it is now i can understand that people are taking their carry on with them.
As most people i cannot travel without at least my passport and credit cards.
The whole point for me is that it doesn't matter how long it takes for the airline to send my carry-on back to me (or my next of kin) if I'm dead because some selfish berk decided that he'd rather delay an emergency evac from a burning or sinking plane to retrieve his carry-on.

Your electronics, your work crap, or even your vital life-saving meds are less important in the moment than anyone's life.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 4:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SM
It's frightening how otherwise seemingly intelligent people like the one in the quote below would risk their own life and the lives of others to gather a few material things in a situation where one has presumably minutes, if not seconds, to survive.

With the gift of hindsight, as in the comments about the crash at SFO, then yes, grabbing a few personal items didn't result in the loss of life. But most of us aren't clairvoyant and should treat every plane crash/emergency/fire-in-cabin as a life-threatening event, not a mere inconvenience for us to mitigate by grabbing our personal belongings. It may not be unusual for an infrequent traveler to react inappropriately, but a FF should know better.

For god's sake, just leave your sh*t behind.

Originally Posted by chollie
I don't like the available options, but if I'm in a crash like the one in SFO, I'm going to grab my personal item if possible. I suspect many frequent fliers would do the same.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FredAnderssen
It's frightening how otherwise seemingly intelligent people like the one in the quote below would risk their own life and the lives of others to gather a few material things in a situation where one has presumably minutes, if not seconds, to survive.

With the gift of hindsight, as in the comments about the crash at SFO, then yes, grabbing a few personal items didn't result in the loss of life. But most of us aren't clairvoyant and should treat every plane crash/emergency/fire-in-cabin as a life-threatening event, not a mere inconvenience for us to mitigate by grabbing our personal belongings. It may not be unusual for an infrequent traveler to react inappropriately, but a FF should know better.

For god's sake, just leave your sh*t behind.
Is anyone here advocating grabbing stuff in an actual emergency? Or only in a precautionary evac?
Old Oct 12, 2015, 4:26 am

We are not advocating we are understanding. Big diff.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 9:01 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Is anyone here advocating grabbing stuff in an actual emergency? Or only in a precautionary evac?
What is the difference? How do you know the difference while it's happening? How quickly can a "precautionary" evac turn into a life-threatening emergency?

The idea of treating the two differently based on flight crew behavior or passenger perception is very dangerous. You must always treat every evac with the same level of caution and urgency.

These things aren't like the fire drills you go through twice a year at the office. When someone says "Evacuate the plane!" it is NEVER a drill. It may be "precautionary", but it's a precaution in case everything goes to hell. Which can happen so fast, you wouldn't have time to ditch your laptop bag out of the path of the other passengers around you.

Leave your crap and get out. Any other course of action risks lives, and not just your own.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.