Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

How can PAX be persuaded not to take their luggage in an emergency evac?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How can PAX be persuaded not to take their luggage in an emergency evac?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2015, 9:43 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
I generally travel with cargo pants/shorts when feasible and carry all the essentials on my person for just this reason. Wallet, passport, keys, phone, basically the things I'd need to conduct my life in the immediate aftermath. This way there's nothing compelling me to grab anything else. But I do wonder how I'll react to someone slowing me down to collect their baggage. I do not expect it will be very kind.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
in a life and death situation, and only in a life and death situation - physically. including but not limited to violence, and threats of violence.

OP photo not best example? for example the hudson water landing would be better example.
Agreed. Beatings can convince most (if not all) people to do things they don't want to do.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 11:58 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
It all goes back to the amount of carry on luggage people bring. For me, with just a backpack, there's almost no impact to the time it would take me to grab it on my way and go. For others that bring the kitchen sink with them, they are the ones that will slow it down.

Unless I see immediate danger to myself, I'll be taking my backpack in any evac. It contains many of the above mentioned critical items that would help me get through the next 24 hours after an event.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 12:09 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Don't know if anyone can answer this, but in F and J there is more space or fewer pax per row - thus making it easier to get off the plane in an emergency, but also easier to retrieve your belongings - are F / J pax more or less likely to leave their things behind?

Originally Posted by bchandler02
It all goes back to the amount of carry on luggage people bring. For me, with just a backpack, there's almost no impact to the time it would take me to grab it on my way and go. For others that bring the kitchen sink with them, they are the ones that will slow it down.

Unless I see immediate danger to myself, I'll be taking my backpack in any evac. It contains many of the above mentioned critical items that would help me get through the next 24 hours after an event.
Even if I'm bringing the kitchen sink, I would leave that behind in the overhead locker; my backpack is usually under the seat in front of me and during a normal landing, it is on my shoulders within 1-2 seconds of the seat belt sign being turned off (provided that I can stand up - so excepting the rare times I'm in a middle seat with 2 strangers either side)
Old Sep 16, 2015, 4:05 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum
If I am trying to evacuate a plane and the only thing standing in my way was an idiot retrieving their luggage from an overhead bin, s/he will be forcibly removed.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 7:36 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by fishy21
If I am trying to evacuate a plane and the only thing standing in my way was an idiot retrieving their luggage from an overhead bin, s/he will be forcibly removed.
By who? You?
Old Sep 24, 2015, 10:11 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
I don't think it's possible. Oh, the idea of locking overheads might help the problem somewhat - at great monetary cost - but even if you lock the overheads, there is still plenty of carry-on crap under the seats, in seatback pockets, etc. that people will grab and go.

I hate to admit it, but the truth is that in an emergency, I'd probably panic and grab some of my stuff as I moved for the exit. Not the overhead, but stuff I have with me in my seat, like my seatback organizer and water bottle. Afterward, I'd realize what a stupid move it was, but in the heat of the moment, I'd go on instinct, which is to keep my most important stuff with me at all times.

This thread has made me re-evaluate some things about how I travel, though, and I think I'll be changing the arrangement of my stuff when I next fly, to keep some of those things on my person instead of in a bag.

Originally Posted by Randyk47
On the whole I would agree. Having gone through 9/11 at the Pentagon I'm sure the various drills we'd gone through over the years certainly helped facilitate a relatively calm evacuation. At least in my part of the building, about 700 feet from the impact, there was no obvious or wide spread panic. We had light smoke in the hallways but no fire, collapsed walls, etc., so people pretty calmly and quietly walked to the nearest exits. To the best of my knowledge only a few people of the 25,000 people in the building not in the immediate impact area were injured in that process. Did the evacuation go exactly to plans? No, not really but close. Did it point up shortfalls in the plans? Absolutely though none that actually spoke to or caused loss of life or limb. One of the biggest shortfalls was that we had no rally point and no plan or method to take a roll call. That led to hours and actually days of not being able to account for all personnel and a lot of angst at the management level. Should say I'm speaking to the larger procedural evacuation plan. There were other shortfalls identified that were structural or facility related like lack of pathway lighting/signage, redundant alarm systems, redundant fire suppression, etc., that were eventually incorporated in the rebuild and subsequent renovations.

The one thing that did happen was that there were a few people who left all their personal belongings at their desks. In my group of about 200 we had five or six that left their purses or wallets in locked desk drawers or in their jackets hanging in their cubicles. Of those two of three had a heck of a time getting home as they had no car keys, no money, no Metro passes, and no ID. Obviously different than a plane but one of the new instructions, at least initially after 9/11, was to make sure you took at least your basic belongings with you in case of evacuation. Of course that doesn't mean all the pictures of the family, awards and decorations hanging on the wall, etc.
Rally points and roll calls get harder and harder as your building gets bigger and your roster expands. I used to be the fire warden for a building that was probably equal to one segment of one ring of the Pentagon. My company had about 300 people in the building. I broke us up into smaller groups with multiple rally points, but the biggest problem was when someone was working in a part of the building far away from their normal work area and exited on the other side - they'd have to travel a fair distance to get to their rally point, all the while maintaining distance from the building (in case it was burning or collapsing) and staying safely out of roads, and out of the path of emergency personnel.

And even when everyone got to their rally points, communication was tough, because we had no radios, and I didn't want to rely on phones, which might be left at the desk or have dead batteries, so I had to set up visual signals that daisy-chained around the building from rally point to rally point until they got to me and I could report everyone accounted for or that we had missing.

In a building the size of the Pentagon, even with the greater resources, military discipline, training, and frequent drills, I can't see such things ever being practically implemented.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 10:48 am

always keep my wallet/passport in my pant pockets for this reason, so that i have it on me at all times. Only during security screening i have to 'put in the bin' so they can scan it and put on the security theatre show
Old Sep 26, 2015, 11:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
It's a very real problem. On longhaul flights, I lock my passport/papers/$ in my carry-on in the overhead so I don't have to worry about someone rifling my belongings while I'm asleep or off to the toilet.

That said, if there's a crash and I emerge with my papers/passport/$, I will be able to call for help, secure lodging, eat, get refills of necessary meds, etc - regardless of where I am in the world.

If I don't have those things, at the very least, I am likely to spend hours, if not days, of being hungry, thirsty, unable to call anyone, secure lodgings, replace meds, etc.

I don't like the available options, but if I'm in a crash like the one in SFO, I'm going to grab my personal item if possible. I suspect many frequent fliers would do the same.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 8:02 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Rhone
Not having access to your phone/passport/money/credit cards/meds/...
When I fly my passport + a backup credit card are in my shirt breast pocket. My wallet & phone are in my trouser pockets (unless I'm watching video on the phone). If I need to evacuate I have everything I need on my person.

I realize the 'meds' issue doesn't apply as I don't travel with prescription meds, and women are in a different situation.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 6:50 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Adequate Compensation Needs to be in Placed

The only way to persuade pax not to take their luggage in an emergency evacuation is for the airline to have a policy where each pax is given USD 5,000 compensation (should be enough for most people unless you have lots of cash or gold bars in their luggage) should their carry-on bags get destroyed. Those who manage to take their bags with them will forgo the compensation. Not only this, the prompt payment of the compensation is required.

The safety video/announcement should also be modified to say the following on departure "during taxi and take-off, please keep your cell phone, passport, wallet/cash and essential medication with you until the aircraft has come to to a cruising altitude and the seat belt sign has been switched off".

For the evacuation instructions "please do not take your carry-on baggage with you when leaving the aircraft. Our airline has a policy where you will be promptly compensated for the loss of your belongings".

Before arrival, the safety video/announcement would say "we will be landing soon, please keep your cell phone, passport, wallet/cash and essential medication with you at all times".
Old Sep 27, 2015, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by daniellam
The only way to persuade pax not to take their luggage in an emergency evacuation is for the airline to have a policy where each pax is given USD 5,000 compensation (should be enough for most people unless you have lots of cash or gold bars in their luggage) should their carry-on bags get destroyed. Those who manage to take their bags with them will forgo the compensation. Not only this, the prompt payment of the compensation is required.
$5k won't cover what some people are carrying. It should be replacement value of what you were carrying, you need to show ownership of big ticket items you are claiming.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 11:13 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
$5k won't cover what some people are carrying. It should be replacement value of what you were carrying, you need to show ownership of big ticket items you are claiming.
By having the need to show ownership of big ticket items, this would just encourage the pax to take them a long when evacuating.

If there is a "no questions asked" policy where everyone gets a big payout regardless of that they have, then most pax would be willing to forgo taking their carryon and just jump on the slide.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 8:44 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
If you are routinely carrying US$5000 worth of items on board, you should insure that separately.

If airlines had to compensate every item that was carried, then it would be reasonable for them to thoroughly inspect all carry-on luggage at boarding and on arrival. It might also encourage strange people to carry large amounts of cash, jewelry or gold etc. and hope that they need to evacuate.

I think US$1500 would be sufficient for all passengers to replace their passport (unless something fishy was going on with their documents), buy a basic phone and/or make international calls, eat, and a place to sleep for a few nights.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by :D!
If you are routinely carrying US$5000 worth of items on board, you should insure that separately.
I don't fly all that often. But between DSLR, laptop and iPad I'm a little over the $5k.

If airlines had to compensate every item that was carried, then it would be reasonable for them to thoroughly inspect all carry-on luggage at boarding and on arrival. It might also encourage strange people to carry large amounts of cash, jewelry or gold etc. and hope that they need to evacuate.
I wouldn't expect them to cover things that should be on your body and thus come out with you anyway. There's a good reason insurance excludes cash.

I think US$1500 would be sufficient for all passengers to replace their passport (unless something fishy was going on with their documents), buy a basic phone and/or make international calls, eat, and a place to sleep for a few nights.
Which does nothing about the problem. Leaving ones stuff in an evacuation is simply asking for losing it and the airline will deny responsibility. When there's a real threat you leave it anyway but when it's precautionary that's a huge incentive to bring it. Simply change the rules so the airlines can't disavow responsibility when it's left in an evacuation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.