Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

How should I deal with another who shoved my backpack down the belt?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2015, 6:26 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver

I was flying this past weekend during a not-so-busy time out of DTW to NYC. I have TSA precheck, so I used the precheck lane. If you fly out of DTW, you know that you'll rarely see a lot of people, unless you happen to be checking in right before the Spirit Airlines' flights. But people who fly on Spirit generally do not have precheck.

Anyway, I had one suitcase, one bin with my laptop/phone/watch in it, and one backpack, in that order. After going through the RapiScan (unnecessary comment deleted by moderator), I waited at the conveyer belt for my stuff. As I wait, there was one lady who was going through RapiScan after me. The suitcase first comes out, which I grab from the conveyer and put on the ground. Then the bin with my stuff comes out, and I proceed to quickly put my watch on, my phone in my pocket, and my laptop in my hand. As I wait for my backpack, the lady who was behind me queues up in front of me, and when my backpack comes out, she grabs it, and pushes it all the way down the conveyer belt, and then takes her stuff from her bin, which came immediately after.

I didn’t know what to do, so I just crammed as much attitude as possible into an “excuse me?”, and she says “sorry” while blankly staring off into space.

What would you have done in this situation?

Last edited by squeakr; Apr 29, 2015 at 10:14 pm Reason: unneccesary
Old Apr 28, 2015, 6:32 am

Programs: FB LT Plat, BA LTG, LH HON
Let it go.

We call it perspective.....
Old Apr 28, 2015, 7:47 am

Programs: BA Bronze,Accor.Flightdiary.net/liamvad
Sadly,the world is full of selfish,arrogant people.Ignore.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:17 am

Programs: AA-EXP, UA, WN, DL- zilch by choice, IHG-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hilton Gold,
How to deal with people like this?

If she truly was as clueless as she seemed, she probably wasn't trying to pull a fast one. Just in her own little world. Sounds like it all worked out despite the annoyance.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:23 am

Programs: BA Gold
I would have done the same as the OP. Whilst it is not always worth the agro of confronting someone, I have no hesitation in doing it.

H
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:56 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
How to deal with people like this?

Vomit on her shoes.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:23 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by agp423
I was flying this past weekend during a not-so-busy time out of DTW to NYC. I have TSA precheck, so I used the precheck lane. If you fly out of DTW, you know that you'll rarely see a lot of people, unless you happen to be checking in right before the Spirit Airlines' flights. But people who fly on Spirit generally do not have precheck.

Anyway, I had one suitcase, one bin with my laptop/phone/watch in it, and one backpack, in that order. After going through the RapiScan, I waited at the conveyer belt for my stuff. As I wait, there was one lady who was going through RapiScan after me. The suitcase first comes out, which I grab from the conveyer and put on the ground. Then the bin with my stuff comes out, and I proceed to quickly put my watch on, my phone in my pocket, and my laptop in my hand. As I wait for my backpack, the lady who was behind me queues up in front of me, and when my backpack comes out, she grabs it, and pushes it all the way down the conveyer belt, and then takes her stuff from her bin, which came immediately after.

I didn’t know what to do, so I just crammed as much attitude as possible into an “excuse me?”, and she says “sorry” while blankly staring off into space.

I use pre-check at JFK T8 a lot; there are NO bins available--except for your outer jacket, everything is placed in your carry-on(s), your jacket goes on the belt. LAS VEGAS, it is similar. Why is DTW so different?

Last edited by essxjay; May 25, 2015 at 11:11 am Reason: reference to deleted remark
Old Apr 28, 2015, 2:07 pm

Programs: Delta, United

Anyway, I had one suitcase, one bin with my laptop/phone/watch in it, and one backpack, in that order. After going through the RapiScan, I waited at the conveyer belt for my stuff. As I wait, there was one lady who was going through RapiScan after me. The suitcase first comes out, which I grab from the conveyer and put on the ground. Then the bin with my stuff comes out, and I proceed to quickly put my watch on, my phone in my pocket, and my laptop in my hand. As I wait for my backpack, the lady who was behind me queues up in front of me, and when my backpack comes out, she grabs it, and pushes it all the way down the conveyer belt, and then takes her stuff from her bin, which came immediately after.

I guess I am not fully understanding the situation. Why did you have bin at all? Given it was pre-check your computer, phone, and watch should have all been in your backpack. Some what moot but thought I would ask because it seems to defeat the purpose of pre-check and does clog up the system (That is what I would have done to start with, i.e. no bin).

Though you had a bin, where was it when the launching of you backpack happen? Hopefully, there was room for your pack to come out and the other PAX stuff as well.

One thing I find annoying is people clogging up the exit trying to reorganize their stuff making the other items back up when there is room and the end of the conveyor. (Not saying this true in your case).

When I do not have pre check and have to off load my stuff TSA collects everything for me and holds it til my groping is finished. Nice touch literally and figuratively.

Last edited by essxjay; May 25, 2015 at 11:12 am Reason: reference to deleted remark
Old Apr 28, 2015, 5:00 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Originally Posted by nrr
I use pre-check at JFK T8 a lot; there are NO bins available--except for your outer jacket, everything is placed in your carry-on(s), your jacket goes on the belt. LAS VEGAS, it is similar. Why is DTW so different?
DTW always seems to have an abundance of bins from a scarcity of flyer.

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
I guess I am not fully understanding the situation. Why did you have bin at all? Given it was pre-check your computer, phone, and watch should have all been in your backpack. Some what moot but thought I would ask because it seems to defeat the purpose of pre-check and does clog up the system (That is what I would have done to start with, i.e. no bin).

Though you had a bin, where was it when the launching of you backpack happen? Hopefully, there was room for your pack to come out and the other PAX stuff as well.

One thing I find annoying is people clogging up the exit trying to reorganize their stuff making the other items back up when there is room and the end of the conveyor. (Not saying this true in your case).

When I do not have pre check and have to off load my stuff TSA collects everything for me and holds it til my groping is finished. Nice touch literally and figuratively.
I did not know for TSA you can keep your laptop in. I thought you can keep your shoes, belt, and light jacket, but computers and liquids have to come out?

I picked up everything from the bin before my backpack came out. My backpack was my last item.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 6:17 pm

There is no point arguing or pointing out stupidity and ignorance. Best bet is just hope karma exists.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by liamvad
Sadly,the world is full of selfish,arrogant people.Ignore.
I must be selfish and arrogant. I too have moved things after the scan to the end of the conveyer belt to get it out of the way when things were backing up.

She probably had no idea who belonged to the bag. Hardly the crime of the century. I wouldn't even bother thinking about it any more.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by VH-RMD
Vomit on her shoes.
Correct. This is why you never leave the house without a flask of ipecac.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:03 pm

Programs: TK*G
I did not know for TSA you can keep your laptop in. I thought you can keep your shoes, belt, and light jacket, but computers and liquids have to come out?
You're allowed to keep your laptop and liquids in your bag with Pre-Check. At smaller airports/terminals where they don't have a separate Pre-Check line, the TSA will give you a card that allows you to keep your shoes/belt/jacket/etc. on in the normal security line but your laptop and liquids need to be removed.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:59 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
As this concerns airport security, please follow the thread as it moves to the apt part of the Travel Security forums. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 12:34 am

Programs: Delta, United
I did not know for TSA [Pre✓®] you can keep your laptop in. I thought you can keep your shoes, belt, and light jacket, but computers and liquids have to come out?
I suggest a review of the program benefits:

TSA Pre✓® travelers may leave on their shoes, light outerwear and belt, keep their laptop in its case and their 3-1-1 compliant liquids/gels bag in a carry-on in select screening lanes.

Shove all yer stuff into your bag before getting to the conveyer input. When it comes out grab it and relocate to an empty bench to reassemble yourself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.