Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Playboy Playmate arrested with gun at checkpoint

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Playboy Playmate arrested with gun at checkpoint

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2011, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
/yawn

So another person had an "Oh, crap!" moment at the checkpoint. This has been going on for decades, and it happens to just as many LEOs. I guess if you're into celebrity worship or sophomoric jokes about "loaded 45s" this might be of interest.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Ok. I'll concede that point. So ... multiple idiots are stopped at TSA checkpoints every day.

Then what, pray tell, is "newsworthy" --- or "discussion-worthy" --- about this story?

If anybody but SATTSO had posted this you'd be all over it, berating the TSA for something (it doesn't really matter what.)
Old Aug 10, 2011, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by cb1111
If anybody but SATTSO had posted this you'd be all over it, berating the TSA for something (it doesn't really matter what.)
Why? TSA did their job here.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 9:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
And you'll be here to call him out on it and defend TSA.

Cosmic balance is restored. Life is good.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 9:44 am
Suspended

Why? TSA did their job here.
Probably by accident.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 11:29 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
There are multiple idiots with guns stopped at checkpoints every day. Law Enforcement determines what happens from there.
Yup and imho, this is non-news item as the TSA did its job.

Yay. TSA did its job, and a passenger breaking the law was arrested. Strike up the band.

Remind me again why Alvin Crabtree wasn't arrested for doing the same thing?
^ & ^
Old Aug 10, 2011, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Then what, pray tell, is "newsworthy" --- or "discussion-worthy" --- about this story?
You mean as opposed to the other threads started by non-TSA employee FT members regarding people arrested at a checkpoint because of a firearm? Oh, this thread is no different than those.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 11:39 am

Programs: CO Platinum
A Playboy playmate was charged with firearm offenses after attempting to board a plane in Florida with a loaded handgun in her bag

Another good job by the TSA by finding a handgun. Notice that the handgun was found using the baggage x-ray, which has been used in routine administrative screenings at airports, courthouses, some museums, etc. for years.

Also, notice that a firearm carried on a person would alarm the WTMD. Whereas a firearm on a person may or may be picked up on the AIT, given the number of red team fails.

Just another example of why the TSA should stick to customary and routine administrative searches that are not invasive and effective. This would be much more successful than the current focus on invasive and ineffective techniques being employed as primary screening.

I would just call this another duh moment in TSA history.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by SATTSO
You mean as opposed to the other threads started by non-TSA employee FT members regarding people arrested at a checkpoint because of a firearm? Oh, this thread is no different than those.
Yest it is different - you posted it.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 11:43 am

Ok. I'll concede that point. So ... multiple idiots are stopped at TSA checkpoints every day.

Ah. Ok. Carry on, then.

Originally Posted by Combat Medic
She's hot?
I suspect this is the real reason ...
Old Aug 10, 2011, 11:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Yest it is different - you posted it.
I think SATTSO's a big girl and I think she can take care of herself....IMHO
Old Aug 10, 2011, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K
My question to SATTSO is: what was your motivation for posting this story?

Was it to laud a TSA accomplishment?
Was it to counter the cynics who say TSA isn't capable of doing anything right?
Was is to provide fodder to those who criticize TSA for various reasons?

Personally, I think this is a non-story in all respects. It only gets attention because it happened at an airport and that gets people everywhere in a frenzy. (plus it was someone semi-famous).

However, I'm not about to praise TSA. They did exactly what they are there for, and fulfilled the most basic of my expectations. Their accomplishment is no more noteworthy than anyone else who gets through their job every day.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 2:19 pm

Wow, the TSA saved a plane full of people from a Playboy Bunny!

Was she a new member of Al Qaeda?
What were her demands?
Was she going to crash the plane into the Playboy mansion?

Answers: no, none, and no. The biggest debate among the TSA employees was who was going to get to see her naked and who would feel her up.

IOW, not news worthy, not important, and the outcome would have been entirely the same with screening procedures from 1999.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 2:30 pm

The TSA did their job finding this gun, finding the fake bomb this week, and finding the C4 the soldier tried to smuggle. They found these items using the same screening methods they've used for years and not the new scanners or enhanced patdowns. Whay are travellers subjected to these new invasive methods when they haven't been proven to be more effective?
Old Aug 10, 2011, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/08/10...est=latestnews

I'm just going to wait and read all your comments about TSOs offering to pat her down...
Unfortunately for her. She could go to jail for that. That is bottom line. She can't allowed to bring the guns at checkpoint. Big mistakes!!! She have placed the guns into checked bags. She could get 1st degree misdemeanor felons.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.