Wiki Posts
Search

Today's IAH experience

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2011, 5:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by SFOSpiff
As jkhuggins asked, please tell us then what the purpose of the question is. You have no problem responding quickly to tell people they're wrong, or to say you've already answered a question and won't answer it again. This question has never been answered satisfactorily. So it would help if you did it now.

Incidentally, I find it interesting that you can't reveal what's in SSI, but have no trouble revealing what's not in it.
I think it's 1) kneejerk reaction to the Noibi incident (do something, even if it doesn't make sense) and 2) another attempt to mix it up to keep the TDC's mind focused.

They've added black lights, various colored squiggles and marks to help the TDC concentrate and focus on checking all the things the TDC is supposed to check. 'Speak your name' is just another layer.

Instead of one good solid layer, just keep piling on ill-thought out, counter-productive, reactionary, possibly not mutually-compatible, inefficient layers in the hopes that one will stick.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by chollie
I think it's 1) kneejerk reaction to the Noibi incident (do something, even if it doesn't make sense) and 2) another attempt to mix it up to keep the TDC's mind focused.
The name thing started at SFO long before the Noibi incident, so while that might explain why it's spreading, it doesn't explain why it started. (though the scuttlebutt is that it's related to #2)

And doing things to passengers, that lead to verbal abuse and D-Y-W-T-F-T, because TDC's aren't doing their job, is not acceptable. As I said before, this is better enforced through plainclothes inspectors. TDC's get one miss, then they get fired.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 5:37 pm

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by SATTSO
No, you will not be required to pronounce your name. You may be asked, but not required. Yes, you may run into stubborn TSOs who get the STSO if you refuse to answer, but you will be allowed through the checkpoint. The purpose of the procedure is not to have you say your name.
OK, thanks for the response. That's good news. If it's a BDO/SPOT game, so be it. The worst they (should be able to) do is send me to retaliatory secondary.

I've thought about doing it before, but if this becomes universal I may go completely silent through screening except to say "opt out" prior to the NoS. In spite of my misgivings, I've had casual chats with a few TSO's over the least couple of years about random things (e.g., one guy wanted to know where I bought my Pelican case as he wanted one), but this program may make that little bit of human decency infeasible.

I feel very strongly about the idea of being required to answer questions as a condition of travel and about mission creep associated with that. (Yes, I'm already extremely uncomfortable with Secure Flight questions at booking and consider them an insult and invasion of privacy. The stated purpose of Secure Flight--preventing false positives--would not have required collecting info from the 99.99%+ of passengers that did not have prior blacklist problems.)
Old Jul 27, 2011, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by spd476
Is there a purpose to pronouncing your name? If that trips up a potential terrorist, I don't have much faith that they would complete their mission as planned anyway.
Nobody seems to know. Since it not the TSA's job to catch terrorists, only to screen for prohibited items, it cannot be for that reason. At least that's the TSA's story. Idiotic things like this show the obvious mission creep.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
So what if you just say "I opt out" when asked your name?
Old Jul 27, 2011, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by TXagogo
He said "I'm pretty good at this cause I must have done thousands of them by now." I replied "If everyone loves the scanners so much as your agency constantly claims, then why are you doing so many gropes?" He gave some lame answer and realized he'd said the wrong thing.
He only thinks he's done a lot of gropes. Just wait until the Nude-O-Scope software upgrade triggers more since the machine won't be able to figure out what it sees.

Originally Posted by cottonmather0
Some of my best TSA stories are from Terminal A. Quite often there is a barker there who looks a little like Dave Chappelle with a fuller beard. He doesn't like it when people bark back, but if you bark louder he eventually backs down and looks for someone else to pick on.
Dave Chappelle, really? Holler back "WHAT? WHAT? WHAT? YEEAASS!"

Originally Posted by spd476
I'm thinking about grabbing a credit card out of my wallet and reading off of it.
That's awesome, do it with a Costco card (unless the Trained Document Checker accepted it as your ID.

Originally Posted by SATTSO
No, you will not be required to pronounce your name. You may be asked, but not required. Yes, you may run into stubborn TSOs who get the STSO if you refuse to answer, but you will be allowed through the checkpoint. The purpose of the procedure is not to have you say your name.
So what is the purpose?
Old Jul 27, 2011, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by N965VJ
So what is the purpose?
Control.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Interesting comments - both from those of you who believe I'm a jerk and those of you who don't. I don't take offense by the comments from those who don't agree with what I did because I can understand why one may see it as stooping to a low level or spreading bad feelings.

However, the fact of the matter is, with the exception of writing letters (done), making donations (done), passing out flyers (done), and participating in the political arena (done), there isn't a whole lot we can do to effect change. Therefore, we as PAYING passengers are essentially powerless.

One of the few ways for me to show my strong disagreement with these policies is to publicly challenge them. I will not acquiesce and be nice just to be nice. If someone is going to violate my body and my rights they are not going to encounter a meek, quiet, smiling subject.

Thanks everyone for your responses, whether they are positive or negative.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 9:18 pm

Interesting comments - both from those of you who believe I'm a jerk and those of you who don't. I don't take offense by the comments from those who don't agree with what I did because I can understand why one may see it as stooping to a low level or spreading bad feelings.

However, the fact of the matter is, with the exception of writing letters (done), making donations (done), passing out flyers (done), and participating in the political arena (done), there isn't a whole lot we can do to effect change. Therefore, we as PAYING passengers are essentially powerless.

One of the few ways for me to show my strong disagreement with these policies is to publicly challenge them. I will not acquiesce and be nice just to be nice. If someone is going to violate my body and my rights they are not going to encounter a meek, quiet, smiling subject.

^
Old Jul 27, 2011, 9:20 pm

Howdy TX,
I was just wondering if you would be running for any political office anytime in the future? I would certainly vote for someone who was not afraid to stand up for his and other's rights as you obviously are! Thanks for taking one for the team...you GO, TXagogo!!! ^^
Old Jul 27, 2011, 10:49 pm

Programs: CO/DL
Originally Posted by mikeef
That about sums it up.

Why would you be a jerk just because you can be?

Mike

TXagogo's answer earlier in this thread sums up my answer to your question. My apoligies if this is not satisfactory for you.

"One of the few ways for me to show my strong disagreement with these policies is to publicly challenge them. I will not acquiesce and be nice just to be nice. If someone is going to violate my body and my rights they are not going to encounter a meek, quiet, smiling subject"

Last edited by RoadVeteran; Jul 27, 2011 at 10:54 pm Reason: corrections
Old Jul 28, 2011, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by RoadVeteran
TXagogo's answer earlier in this thread sums up my answer to your question. My apoligies if this is not satisfactory for you.

"One of the few ways for me to show my strong disagreement with these policies is to publicly challenge them. I will not acquiesce and be nice just to be nice. If someone is going to violate my body and my rights they are not going to encounter a meek, quiet, smiling subject"
I disagree with TXagogo's approach but give a ^ to his taking the criticism along with the praise.

Mike
Old Jul 30, 2011, 8:12 pm

Just got back from IAH Terminal B flying Continential. The Moat Dragon took so long to ask questions that the line was backed up. It was like watching paint dry as she put a check mark next to everything. TSA isn't being honest with how much of a delay this is going to cause. They already had an attitude.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 8:37 pm
Suspended

Hi folks - I hope all is well.

I just went through Terminal A security at IAH. I have made an entry at tsastatus.net as well. Here is my overview:

1. Document clerk immediately asked for my full name which I expected after having read the Houston thread. My exact words were "I usually pronounce it as {name} for those who have trouble reading." She replied in a very friendly manner that some names are difficult and how she hates to mispronounce people's names. I responded in a sarcastic tone "Yes, I'm sure that's exactly the case". She then smiled and said in a friendly tone, "Some people just hate it when their name is mispronounced". And I responded, "Some people just hate it when they are asked for information that is clearly right in front of them." She then decided the lies and smiles weren't working and said in a less friendly tone "It's security protocol, sir". I replied "Maybe your lies will work on someone else", snatched my BP, and walked away. I think she was shocked. Older woman.

2. Very few people in line but all were sent to the MMW. As I was moving my belongings toward the X-Ray a clerk said "do you have anything in your pockets, sir" to which I replied "I don't go through the nudie machines so call one of yer buddies over here to touch me". I stepped through and waited about 1 minute or less.

3. Extremely friendly guy came over and seemed to go out of his way to want to help. He smiled, asked which bags were mine, told me how quick this would be, carried my things to the chair, etc... He talked non-stop and I got the impression he was somewhat nervous. Before he said another word at the grope station I said "I wanna see new gloves right from the box". He graciously complied and even sterilized his hands first. He said "you seem like you've been through this before (laughing)" and I said "Sure have and I know the entire routine." He said "So you don't need the whole spiel?" I said "Not unless you plan on touching my testicles." He looked shocked and decided he better give the spiel to cover himself. I hummed and looked around while he talked and made it a point of ignoring him.

His grope was fast and pretty simple but that does not make it OK. He said "I'm pretty good at this cause I must have done thousands of them by now." I replied "If everyone loves the scanners so much as your agency constantly claims, then why are you doing so many gropes?" He gave some lame answer and realized he'd said the wrong thing.

After the swab was negative he asked if he could help me organize my bags as I got my stuff together. I replied, "Sure, might as well work for yer $10/hour." He organized by bags on the table and said have a nice day to which he did not get a response. I gotta hand it to him, he was good at staying calm because I can be a total prick-er when I wanna be!
I guess the part I don't understand is how you post with a certain degree of pride how miserable you deliberately make yourself throughout this process. I mean, you must be the life of the party, pal!

Tell me, do you also act so gloomy with convenience store cashiers, movie ushers, restaurant servers and secretarial staff just to reinforce your own sense of superiority?

"I came to the checkpoint today and acted like a total jerk! That really stuck it to them!"

High fives all around!!!

Old Jul 30, 2011, 8:47 pm

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Ok, I'll bite ... what, then, is the purpose of the procedure?
remedial education.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.