FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Today's IAH experience
View Single Post
Old Jul 27, 2011, 5:37 pm
studentff

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by SATTSO
No, you will not be required to pronounce your name. You may be asked, but not required. Yes, you may run into stubborn TSOs who get the STSO if you refuse to answer, but you will be allowed through the checkpoint. The purpose of the procedure is not to have you say your name.
OK, thanks for the response. That's good news. If it's a BDO/SPOT game, so be it. The worst they (should be able to) do is send me to retaliatory secondary.

I've thought about doing it before, but if this becomes universal I may go completely silent through screening except to say "opt out" prior to the NoS. In spite of my misgivings, I've had casual chats with a few TSO's over the least couple of years about random things (e.g., one guy wanted to know where I bought my Pelican case as he wanted one), but this program may make that little bit of human decency infeasible.

I feel very strongly about the idea of being required to answer questions as a condition of travel and about mission creep associated with that. (Yes, I'm already extremely uncomfortable with Secure Flight questions at booking and consider them an insult and invasion of privacy. The stated purpose of Secure Flight--preventing false positives--would not have required collecting info from the 99.99%+ of passengers that did not have prior blacklist problems.)