Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PV speaks out on Phil's case

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2011, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by ND Sol
TSA verification processes must proceed quickly and without interference. Any passenger holding a camera in the face of TSOs as they try verify identification should not be surprised if asked to step aside so that other passengers in line can be processed expeditiously without further disruption.

I find this to be quite chilling. That I am recording an interaction with the TSA with no impediment to the TSO doing his job can be grounds for stopping the procedure is unconscionable.
^^^^
Amazing. These particular TSA clowns want to be able to put their hands on our testicles any dam* time they want, and yet they object to the relatively slight intrusion of a video camera in a public place?
Old Jan 30, 2011, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
He's still lying by implication:

Phil was not asked to step aside, nor was any evidence presented that he was interfering with the screening any way.

The TSO falsely told Phil that he was not allowed to film at the check point. Period. End of story.
Its weasel self serving words.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 12:33 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by oboshoe
When I was a child, I believed that only foreign governments published propaganda.

The TSA blogs proves that this was only a childish belief.
Exactly. Every country puts out propaganda, and our government in the US has been doing so for a long, long time too. It is just that the DHS/TSA propaganda machine is more obvious in that it has been built by people who behave like little children of the worst sort to try to take advantage of all the other children and manipulate gullible "adults" who ought to know better.

Originally Posted by nachtnebel
^^^^
Amazing. These particular TSA clowns want to be able to put their hands on our testicles any dam* time they want, and yet they object to the relatively slight intrusion of a video camera in a public place?
And the irony is that video cameras are filming a lot of these screening checkpoints anyway, but those are cameras whose footage can be made to more quietly appear or disappear as the government propaganda hands deem useful to the government. The government wants the power to discredit its citizens with footage without being subjected to the power of its citizens discrediting the government's claims with video footage not fully under the control of the government and its apologists.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Feb 4, 2011 at 8:50 am Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Jan 31, 2011, 8:06 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Exactly. Every country puts out propaganda, and our government in the US has been doing so for a long, long time too. It is just that the DHS/TSA propaganda machine is more obvious in that it has been built by people who behave like little children of the worst sort to try to take advantage of all the other children and manipulate gullible "adults" who ought to know better.
Correct. The government has long used propaganda both as part of their foreign policy as well as domestic policy. One difference is that back in earlier days the domestic press actually did their jobs to ferret out more of the truth - in general, the media today fails to do adequate reporting, and is more than glad to take government statements at face value (just count how many times newscasters start with the words: "The President said", "The TSA said", "Sec'ty Napolitano said".
Old Jan 31, 2011, 9:06 am

Programs: TSA Disparager Silver
Apologies for the derail in advance.

Phil, quick question.

When I go out in meatspace (also known as the real world) and I describe this case to people, is "Mocek" pronounced "Mosek" or "Mokek"?
Old Jan 31, 2011, 2:54 pm

pronunciations of Mocek

Originally Posted by Ayn R Key
When I go out in meatspace (also known as the real world) and I describe this case to people, is "Mocek" pronounced "Mosek" or "Mokek"?
Short answer: it's the former.

Accurate answer: That depends on whose pronunciation you prefer. Likely candidates are mine and my parents', and they're not the same.
  • My ancestors in the Czech Republic, distant family, and Polish Mocek friends pronounce it something like MOE-tseck, MUT-seck, or MOOT-seck (with "oo" like in "foot"). The "o" sound is a foreign sound somewhere between a hard "o" (like in "flow") and the vowel sound in "foot". The "e" may be more of a shwa sound over there.
  • My American relatives (great-grandparents emigrated from Czechoslovakia to Texas) pronounce it like MAH-sick.
  • English-centric people who read the name but haven't heard it tend, in my experience, to say MOE-seck or MOE-check.
  • As of about two years ago (during a time at which most people with whom I had regular contact knew me primarily as just "Phil"), I pronounce it MOE-seck or MOE-səck (with a barely-audible shwa). I think it's the closest Englishification of the Czech name, and causes less confusion between eyes and ears.

I don't have a strong preference.

Changing the way I pronounce my name has been kind of strange. Sometimes I introduce myself and noticeably "mispronounce" my own name before correcting myself. Saying it the new way still feels rather awkward, but I'm pressing on. "Mossick" was always strange, though familiar.

Last edited by pmocek; Jan 31, 2011 at 3:02 pm
Old Jan 31, 2011, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA PE, FL A+Elite, X-DL Silver, X-AA Gold, HH Diam, Marriott Silv
Originally Posted by TSORon
No, actually I didn’t imply anything. I said outright that there is a difference between “not guilty” and “innocent”, and that everyone here knows the difference. I also said that I do not expect the other posters to admit that they either know or understand the difference, after all it would be like admitting that Phil was guilty and that one of their own was wrong in his actions.

We all know that there are far too many cases in our nations court system where a guilty person has been found innocent by a jury. After all, it is a precept of our system that it is better to find 100 guilty persons innocent than to find one innocent person guilty, and it’s a precept that I happen to agree with. That precept does not change the fact that “not guilty” is in no way the same as “innocent”.
There's no need to make a fuss unless you believe Phil to be guilty, or think there is reasonable doubt. The evidence and testimony provided by the prosecution strongly suggest Phil to be innocent. Maybe it is you that can't accept that one of your own was wrong, though the APD officer's behavior may be more galling. Both TSOs and LEOs should be held to a higher standard than the travelling public.

I was aware of the ID and photography laws but my first reaction on hearing about the case only recently was that surely he must have rude or refused to cooperate. Now having watched the video and read summaries of the testimony I am astounded that he was arrested in the first place. I am curious how you, or anyone else, conclude that he was guilty or might be. Well actually, I would be particularly interested in a TSO response. How would you have responded? What other type of passenger behavior results in arrest?
Old Jan 31, 2011, 11:22 pm

Lots of people figured I was probably a bit rude until they saw the arrest video

Originally Posted by sheneh
my first reaction on hearing about the case only recently was that surely [Phil] must have rude or refused to cooperate. Now having watched the video and read summaries of the testimony I am astounded that he was arrested in the first place.
You were not alone in that suspicion. Imagine how many people have been convicted or plead guilty to things they did not do because they had no video evidence to rebut lies like those of Officer Dilley. This wasn't a situation in which he exaggerated or used slightly different words. The text of the criminal complaint was riddled with falsehoods.

Last edited by pmocek; Feb 1, 2011 at 12:17 am Reason: fix typo
Old Feb 1, 2011, 12:07 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Originally Posted by pmocek
You were not alone in that suspicion. Imagine how many people have been convicted or plead guilty to things they did not do because they had no video evidence to rebut lies like those of Officer Dilley. This wasn't a situation in which he exaggerated or used slightly different words. The text of the criminal complaint was riddled with falshoods.
that the above is not being held to account is a travesty.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 5:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pmocek
You were not alone in that suspicion. Imagine how many people have been convicted or plead guilty to things they did not do because they had no video evidence to rebut lies like those of Officer Dilley. This wasn't a situation in which he exaggerated or used slightly different words. The text of the criminal complaint was riddled with falsehoods.
This is why more people are videotaping cops, and cops are arresting them in retaliation. Becoming a YouTube star is a great way to shift careers into the food service industry.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 5:20 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
shouldn't Ron be in there by default?
Old Feb 1, 2011, 5:44 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VH-RMD
that the above is not being held to account is a travesty.
Perhaps a letter-writing campaign to the powers that be in the DA's office and to the newspaper could move this along.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 6:09 am
Suspended

TSA verification processes must proceed quickly and without interference. Any passenger holding a camera in the face of TSOs as they try verify identification should not be surprised if asked to step aside so that other passengers in line can be processed expeditiously without further disruption.
I can see where this might cause problems - for TSOs who're incapable of walking and chewing gum at the same time, having a citizen's camera aimed at them (as opposed to a camera for which they might be able to "lose the footage") while they're attempting to perform tasks that a three-year-old could do might present just enough distraction to cause them to fail.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 9:34 am

Programs: Delta, United
After reading the propaganda I called one of my reps here in Utah, Chaffetz and asked the BB be added to the Congressman's TSA list for inquiry. I specifically asked the position be removed from funding. After all budget cuts need to start somewhere. I guess if I am on a list, BB can be on a list :-)
Old Feb 1, 2011, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
After reading the propaganda I called one of my reps here in Utah, Chaffetz and asked the BB be added to the Congressman's TSA list for inquiry. I specifically asked the position be removed from funding. After all budget cuts need to start somewhere. I guess if I am on a list, BB can be on a list :-)
Reading the blog is a way of finding out what is chewing at the underbelly of the TSA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.