Wiki Posts
Search

Chaffetz to get oversight of TSA

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2010, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
I'll give my big ^ to this as well.

I used to live in Chaffetz's district. He's a much better Congressman than the idiot he replaced. I'd be proud to have him as my Congressman.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 8:08 pm

Programs: DL-PM, Small Luxury Hotels & Proud Member of TSA Disparager-Gold
This is indeed good news.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 8:22 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Money and Mouth Located in Same Coordinates

Made my campaign donation tonight. I will watch. There may be more.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 8:31 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by Salt Lake Tribune
[Chaffetz] said he plans to continue working on those issues, but will now spend much of his time probing military spending and how homeland security efforts, such as those implemented by the TSA, impact everyday citizens.

The congressman, first elected in 2008, has been vocal in his outrage over the TSA’s whole-body-imaging machines, which allow screeners to peer through a passenger’s clothes. He also ended up in a dust-up with a TSA agent at Salt Lake City International Airport after he refused to enter one of the machines.
Pinch me, I must be dreaming.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by essxjay
I hope the dream includes TSA tottering off into retirement....
Old Dec 17, 2010, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by fs2k2isfun
Some of the comments on the article make me want to strangle people.
Such as...

Asked for reaction to Chaffetzs new post, TSA spokesman Dwayne Baird said, We look forward to continuing to work with all of our congressional partners to keep the traveling public safe.

No, they're not your partners, Dwayne. They're your bosses. And we're their bosses.

Sorry, but that partner nonsense makes me want to regurgitate, along with the insipid use of the present participle, i.e. "Working together for a better tomorrow," or whatever.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 9:04 pm

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
Originally Posted by Tom M.
and already is getting things done:

TSA Backs Down on Shirtless Boy Story
I would give a month's pay to see Blogger Bob sitting next to Rolando Negrin in front of a Congressional hearing panel having to justify his infamous statement that the NoS scans were ready for the cover of Reader's Digest and to be handed out at your local preschool.

No, I take that back.

Two month's pay.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 10:35 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Haha, TSA... say hi to your new boss.

I wrote to Rep. Chaffetz, too, and expressed my support. I have a lot of hope that he can right some of these wrongs and abuses. Feeling hopeful is so much better than feeling outraged. I am excited to see what he does with his new position.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 11:11 pm

Hey, they could be genuinely concerned about traveler safety. No contradiction between that and skepticism about security theater. Probably won't get real security till security theater is shown the door.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 11:19 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by essxjay
This is the most promising development in a very long time!
Originally Posted by PhoenixRev
I would give a month's pay to see Blogger Bob sitting next to Rolando Negrin in front of a Congressional hearing panel having to justify his infamous statement that the NoS scans were ready for the cover of Reader's Digest and to be handed out at your local preschool.

No, I take that back.

Two month's pay.
Me too. If it takes money to make that happen (nothing would surprise me about Congress at this point), I'm in.
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Wonder if he needs a staffer?
Go for it. If he needs more than one, I can suggest a few other FTers!
Old Dec 18, 2010, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PhoenixRev

The way Bob, and the TSA handled two recent blog updates is very interesting.

The update on the nail clippers gets a new post, right on top.

The update on the shirtless boy is burried. Note that this post doesn't even show up in the "Previous Posts" menu on the right. You have to go to the archives to find it.

The TSA and Bob, through the way he runs the blog, work to spin and decieve.

The way these two updates were handled is a perfect example of why the public cannot trust the TSA.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 5:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bdschobel
I just wrote to him, using his office's website. It accepts only UT as a state address, but I explained in text that I live in NJ. I promised to support him in any way possible and offered all the TSA horror stories he can possibly endure hearing.

I can't wait until January!!! This will be great.

Bruce
Bruce, did you get confirmation that your e-mail went through? If so, I'll do the same. If not, I'll snail mail and fax to his office.

Doober
Old Dec 18, 2010, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
No, I haven't received anything yet.

Bruce
Old Dec 18, 2010, 6:03 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
I understand the volatility of war, but we are talking about billions of dollars in unaccounted-for money that I will be tenacious in fighting for, said Chaffetz, an opponent of continued fighting in Afghanistan. I can still be rock solid in support of our troops and our nations defense, but we need to have some fiscal sanity there, too.

Sounds good to me.

He needs to deliver three messages

TSA: no touching, or naked pics, without defined and published cause. No more randoms. If it doesn't take pics, or doesn't touch, and measurably adds security... go for it.

Passengers: there's a chance you're going to die, and we can't deliver perfect security. Deal with it.

Everyone: we'll balance risk/mitigation against privacy/cost.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 6:49 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Somebody check on Spiff. He may have hit his head when he passed out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.