Chaffetz to get oversight of TSA

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2010, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

from the Salt Lake Tribune:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/50...ittee.html.csp

"Rep. Jason Chaffetz will assume control of the subcommittee that oversees the Transportation Security Administration, an agency he has criticized repeatedly since joining Congress.

The new assignment is part of the shake-up in the House following the Republican victories in November. Rep. Darrell Issa, the incoming chairman of the Oversight and Government Reform Committee has asked Chaffetz to lead the panel that focuses on national security, homeland defense and foreign operations starting in January. . . "
Old Dec 17, 2010, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.5.0.138 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Wonder if he needs a staffer?
Old Dec 17, 2010, 3:41 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, United
Originally Posted by clifc
from the Salt Lake Tribune:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/50...ittee.html.csp

"Rep. Jason Chaffetz will assume control of the subcommittee that oversees the Transportation Security Administration, an agency he has criticized repeatedly since joining Congress.
..."
Great news!
Old Dec 17, 2010, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

and already is getting things done:

TSA Backs Down on Shirtless Boy Story

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/50...gency.html.csp

TSAs initial statement on the incident said the boy set off the alarm on the metal detector, a point disputed by a man who taped the screening and posted it online. Chaffetz says the airports top TSA official admitted the boy didnt trigger the alarm and the congressman went to bat to get the agency to correct its statement.

I said, You guys knew that at the beginning. You lied at the beginning, Chaffetz said Friday.

The TSAs blog now says that the boy was given a pat down because of bulky clothing and not because metal was detected.

New information was brought to light that indicated the initial report was incorrect, the TSA said.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 4:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, TSA Disparager Gold
Some of the comments on the article make me want to strangle people.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 5:28 pm

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
The Transportation Security Administrations biggest congressional critic will soon take charge of the House panel that oversees the agency.

Karma's a b, isn't it?

It appears Rep. Jason Chaffetz is already enjoying his new-found authority with regard to the Transportation Security Administration. The Utah Republican, who soon will take charge of the House subcommittee overseeing the agency, says he forced the TSA to come clean on an incident in which a young boy was given a pat down at Salt Lake City International Airport, prompting the childs frustrated father to remove the boys shirt to allay any concerns.

TSAs initial statement on the incident said the boy set off the alarm on the metal detector, a point disputed by a man who taped the screening and posted it online. Chaffetz says the airports top TSA official admitted the boy didnt trigger the alarm and the congressman went to bat to get the agency to correct its statement.

If google is correct, as of Feb03 (yet things might have changed since then, still catching up!), the top TSA official at SLC is the DFSD, who is the Acting FSD, because the FSD and AFSD were placed on "approved leave", and federal officials refused to explain why. Still trying to figure out what's going on at SLC, yet that's a heck of a story. Either way, let's hope the DFSD/ActingFSD got ahead of this one, and isn't running from this one.

Time to pop some popcorn, this might be a heck of a show come Jan01.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Hey folks -
Could this be a prime opportunity for us to show Mr. Chaffetz how many of us stand behind him and how important his role will be in all this? Do you think letters of support for him and Issa would be in order? If so, I can start mine tonight. ^
Old Dec 17, 2010, 6:36 pm

Programs: Delta, United
I will have to see if I can get some staff time over the holidays.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wonder what his info on the Breast Milk Lady is?

That is clearly a case of being held in detention (hostage) for not playing TSA ball.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 6:52 pm

Back in June 2009 Chaffetz led an unexpected bipartisan uprising in the House which voted to defund the naked scanners. [The Obama Administration used stimulus funds instead -- because, y'know, the economy's in such great shape that we should use the money to pay for machines that don't work and have unknown safety risks. Grr. But I digress.] So he's got a good track record on this issue.

And TXagogo, excellent point about taking the opportunity to let him know how many of us feel strongly on this issue.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I just wrote to him, using his office's website. It accepts only UT as a state address, but I explained in text that I live in NJ. I promised to support him in any way possible and offered all the TSA horror stories he can possibly endure hearing.

I can't wait until January!!! This will be great.

Bruce
Old Dec 17, 2010, 7:06 pm

Programs: various
Shucks, I might write him and tell him I'd be happy to move to Utah just to become one of his constituents.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 7:07 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bdschobel
I just wrote to him, using his office's website. It accepts only UT as a state address, but I explained in text that I live in NJ.
I'm sure his campaign will accept checks with a pre-printed address outside of UT.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 7:12 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Here is the campaign web site where donations can be made.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 7:19 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is good news; only good things can come as a result of Rep. Sheila Jackass Lee passing the gavel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.