Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Participate in Opt-Out Day without flying?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2010, 7:19 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Maybe for the last try you could go for the grope refusal too. When you get DY...T?, just say no and walk out. If you have no luggage, there is nothing to wait for them to release - except maybe your shoes. They can't physically restrain you, and doubtful there will be a LEO within arms length.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 7:20 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Cancel the ticket after printing the boarding pass.

IIRC on UA you need to go to the airport to get a refund, once a bp is printed.

Print multiple copies of the boarding pass you you always present a "clean" one to the TDC.

Originally Posted by tev9999
Maybe for the last try you could go for the grope refusal too. When you get DY...T?, just say no and walk out. If you have no luggage, there is nothing to wait for them to release - except maybe your shoes. They can't physically restrain you, and doubtful there will be a LEO within arms length.
The rules are that once you go past the TDC you must be screened.
Prevents prospective tewwowists from "probing" for security weak points/procedures.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Nov 17, 2010 at 1:35 am Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Nov 16, 2010, 7:35 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by Billiken
IIRC on UA you need to go to the airport to get a refund, once a bp is printed.
Unless something has changed, you can get an e-ticket refund through the united website. However, before you can do that, you have to "un-check-in." Doing it at a gate, CS counter, or checkin counter is pretty easy. Doing that over the phone has been possible but unpleasant for me, particularly for online-checkin-tickets where I had to call web-support (outsourced, India, script-readers who can't do much) .
Old Nov 16, 2010, 7:44 am

Programs: CO Plat, Hyatt Plat
If you have an airline club membership, you can get the airline to give you a gate pass.

If you don't have membership, the other option is to attend a meeting in an Airline Club to get through security. There is a nominal rental fee, but if a few FTers go in together, the cost would be negligble. If there's enough interest, you may be able to get the FSD or an airline representative to show.

At IAH, I am willing to sponser a meeting in one of the many President's Clubs. I already have invites out to one senator and two members of congress to join me. I have a call with one scheduler today, and am awaiting word on the other two. PM me if you would like to attend so I can put your name on the list for the Gate Pass. There is a limit of 10 spaces, though if I can get 2 of the 3 to attend (highly unlikely), I'm sure I can get a bigger room.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 11:18 am

Programs: Vanishing
Originally Posted by MFMeow
I like the way you think.

Edited to add: Since they write on your Boarding Pass at the ID checkpoint, that would show you already went through and might tip them off.
It's called a smoke break. Not allowed to smoke in the terminal so you have to go outside. Nothing wrong with that.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 11:23 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
Just as another point of preference: If you book an award flight on WN, you don't even have to call in for the refund - or you can wait until after the scheduled departure. Your RR points are redeposited automagically.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 11:29 am

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
Originally Posted by PhilaBurbTom
Just as a thought how many entrances and exits could you make on one refundable ticket?
I often go in and out of security several times, to have a smoke, particularly on a long layover. I've never been hassled about it, even with multiple "squigglies" on my boarding pass. When asked about it occasionally, I simply comment that there are no designated smoking areas gateside and so I am reluctantly forced to exit and then re-enter when a layover is long or a departure delay occurs.

It's a good excuse, if you need one, to exit and re-enter. I was able to opt-out of the WBI in BWI twice in one trip last month!
Old Nov 16, 2010, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My advice (posted elsewhere in the last few days) is, if you are going to do the refundable ticket tactic, that you carry no other identification than the one you will use to present to Blacklight Bob. I would use a passport because there isn't a home address on it. Take a briefcase or something to make it look like you're planning to fly. Have nothing of a personal nature in there. That way, if you get harassed when refusing to provide your name & address, (if it comes to that), you have nothing on you from which they could copy the information anyway. It would also be good if you didn't drive to the airport so you wouldn't have car keys with you.

Good luck -- I'm driving on NOOD.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by MFMeow
I like the way you think.

Edited to add: Since they write on your Boarding Pass at the ID checkpoint, that would show you already went through and might tip them off.

But if you printed out, oh heck, half a dozen identical boarding passes at home before going to the airport... and went to a big airport with multiple security checkpoints... {wicked evil grin}
my wife smokes and when we have a long layover she goes back and forth thru security until she's practically on a first name basis with the screeners and there are scribbles all over her boarding pass so i don't think there is an issue with this. and she always goes back and forth with her id, boarding pass, a pack of cigs, and a lighter, no problem-o.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jiejie
Assuming he goes through the screening process "opt out" of course, and clears to airside, then turns around and goes through the exits then gets his ticket refunded, what is the TSA going to do? What was unlawful about going through the screening process? Also, TSA doesn't check ID's at the exits, last I heard, so how would they know he left? What criminal charge would there be? What civil penalty would apply?
My wife just screamed, "Don't do it!"

She pointed me to this text:

"Aguilar said Tyner's refusal to undergo the screening may have been pre-planned. If so, the penalty could reach $11,000."

at this link:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40193344
Old Nov 16, 2010, 9:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by morcheeba
My wife just screamed, "Don't do it!"

She pointed me to this text:

"Aguilar said Tyner's refusal to undergo the screening may have been pre-planned. If so, the penalty could reach $11,000."

at this link:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40193344

This is ridiculous. "Could" reach $11000? Yes, it "could", IF they actually file suit (which they won't) and IF they win (which they wouldn't). The best possible outcome here is to have them sue and lose; unfortunately, they know that and so they won't sue, because then the imaginary threat that your wife sees is gone. It's the same with administrative penalties for violating the travel ban to Cuba -- they have never once taken anyone to court who challenged their legality and refused to pay; because they know if they do, it's highly likely that the whole policy will be ruled unconstitutional, and then they can't go around scaring people into staying away from Cuba with the threat of penalty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.