Wiki Posts
Search

TSO "rubbing" my back!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2010, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, DL Million Miler
TSO "rubbing" my back!

On Tuesday I went thru IAH (concourse A) TSA checkpoint. Magnetometer not NudeOScope and I didn't set off any alarms nor was my briefcase questioned. As I exited the unit a TSO walked up behind me and ran both of his hands from my shoulders to my low back. It surprised me and I turned quickly around and said, "why did you do that?" He replied in a pleasant and laughing manner, "Washington has new requirements for us". He then turned to the gentleman next to me and did the same thing. I said, "you should consider changing gloves".

It was all too quick and surprising to even know it was coming.

Has anyone else had this happen?
Old Sep 30, 2010, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Policypeddler
On Tuesday I went thru IAH (concourse A) TSA checkpoint. Magnetometer not NudeOScope and I didn't set off any alarms nor was my briefcase questioned. As I exited the unit a TSO walked up behind me and ran both of his hands from my shoulders to my low back. It surprised me and I turned quickly around and said, "why did you do that?" He replied in a pleasant and laughing manner, "Washington has new requirements for us". He then turned to the gentleman next to me and did the same thing. I said, "you should consider changing gloves".

Yes -- Just a few posts below yours: Pat downs at the metal detector, but not a full secondary?
Old Sep 30, 2010, 1:24 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Happened to me at BNA. It was weird.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 1:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC

Did he notify you prior to touching you?
Old Sep 30, 2010, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, DL Million Miler
Notification was simultaneous with the action. It literally startled me and I spun around quickly. He said something like, "I need to check your back"; however, I'm not exactly sure what he said and I felt blindsided. It was over as quick as it began!
Old Sep 30, 2010, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA lifetime Gold , DL Gold, Hilton Diamond
Lets hear from the TSOs who post here on what is the policy on unannounced pat downs, or is that to SSI.

All one of these TSOs has to do is press someones back who has back problems in the wrong place and they can send that person right to the hospital, and followed up by a major lawsuit

In the full pat downs, they are required to ask you if you have any sensitive areas, but now they can sneak up on you and grope you without any warning

Also I agree about the gloves.

So lets hear from the TSOs on this one.

Mr. Elliott
Old Sep 30, 2010, 2:18 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by Mr. Elliott
Lets hear from the TSOs who post here on what is the policy on unannounced pat downs, or is that to SSI.

All one of these TSOs has to do is press someones back who has back problems in the wrong place and they can send that person right to the hospital, and followed up by a major lawsuit

In the full pat downs, they are required to ask you if you have any sensitive areas, but now they can sneak up on you and grope you without any warning

Also I agree about the gloves.

So lets hear from the TSOs on this one.

Mr. Elliott
They'll just tell us it "can't be happening" because the secret SOP says otherwise, and because everyone here is anti-TSA.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Remember, it's for our safety

Don't get why they wouldn't want to change gloves. I keep hearing annoucements at ORD about washing your hands when you sneeze or touch certain things. For all they know, somebody could be wearing very dirty clothing, infested with some sort of bugs. Great, looks like they've just spread it to 50 pax...

Ron, SATTSO, Bueller? Care to chime in?
Old Sep 30, 2010, 4:49 pm

Oh this will be good...i'm trained in self defense and i could so see this going so very very wrong....
Old Sep 30, 2010, 4:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
They are testing new passenger training.

"We will put our hands on you at any time, for any reason, with or without notice or explanation. Entering the airport (or bus station or train station or driving down the highway in Atlanta) will constitute implied consent to anything that we chose to do. Failure to comply will result in LEO action. In the future, TSOs will be armed LEOs and won't have to wait around for those not-always-cooperative real LEOs."
Old Sep 30, 2010, 5:59 pm

Programs: None anymore

At least he 'ran' his hands down from your shoulders
I guess they are prepping for when they just put there hands on your shoulders and bark in your ear bend over.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
They better not try this on people with PTSD. I recall spending a good bit of time with one friend a couple months after he returned from active duty in Vietnam, and watching his behaviors and how he responded to surprises... a TSO could get seriously injured.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by Mr. Elliott
Just strolling through, whistling the tune from Jeopardy...
Old Sep 30, 2010, 6:15 pm

Programs: Delta-Million miler
TSO rubber

Rubber "Duck"ie, you are the one
You make screen time lots of fun
Rubber "Duck"ie, I am awefully fond of you
Everday when I make my way to airport lobby
I find stupid people who are cute and mellow but grumpy

Result of too much childhood Sesame Street watching
Old Sep 30, 2010, 6:18 pm

Anyone sneaking up behind me would have a serious problem.

I would get so startled that I would smack them.

I would think assult. And I do think that is a normal reaction with most people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.