Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSO "rubbing" my back!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2010, 10:34 am

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by Mr. Elliott
Lets hear from the TSO’s who post here on what is the policy on unannounced pat downs, or is that to SSI.

All one of these TSO’s has to do is press someone’s back who has back problems in the wrong place and they can send that person right to the hospital, and followed up by a major lawsuit

In the full pat downs, they are required to ask you if you have any sensitive areas, but now they can sneak up on you and grope you without any warning

Also I agree about the gloves.

So lets hear from the TSO’s on this one.

Mr. Elliott
SO the poster stated that it was a simultaneous advisal and pat. That pretty much covers it. It is a requirement to do it but it is being replaced by something else.

Originally Posted by ScatterX
I believe TSA is wrong on the basic question of doing this at all. IMO, it's not acceptable to touch and "rub" anyone/everyone or rub them anywhere they please, WITHOUT CAUSE, in order to travel. We have rights, including "to be secure in one's person" and "against unreasonable searches" and "to move freely" and "to enjoy privacy in all matters in which the rights of others are not violated" (among others). The excessive use of "and" is intentional. This is not pick-a-rights day; we get them all. Without reasonable suspicion, invasive searches of people, for no other reason than they want to move around, is a gross overreach.
You are free to move around by walking and driving. You dont have the right to take a plane at your whim

Great news. But before I get all weepy, please tell me in a constitutional/legal sense, what is the limit*, who gets to decide the limit, and who oversees them?

* - Since the limit seems to change every week, where does it end?
It is an administrative action and not subject to the 4th ammendment
You are not only suggesting that everyone must submit to any search TSA dreams up simply to travel, but that they don't need to consent. Legally speaking, how is this different than strip searching and "rubber-gloving" everyone who happens to drive over a bridge to New York? []Of course, once you're on the bridge, it's too late to go back. You must be guilty of something. Doesn't matter, you have already consented, by choosing to be a traveling American, to whatever search we deem necessary for security.[/]
Well driving over a bridge does not entail the use of a vehicle that could be a WMD. It also does not have several hundred occupants on it.

At a minimum, proper detailed warnings, consent, and an alternative* is necessary. Something like "If you want to get through security, I need to pat you down; because the metal detector went off; please raise your arms. Do you understand and agree." would be a good start. I would give you that consent is implied if the person raised his/her arms after hearing this. This is all very different than "I started rubbing you because you walked into an airport".
We are not just looking for metal. When was the last time that you saw c4 made out of metal?

* - it's not really consent if you don't have the choice to leave (e.g., be searched or be arrested), is it?

Unless there is sufficient cause for a LEO to detain* someone (or situation such as paramedics would face), searching without consent is NOT acceptable. An airport is not some magic land where the constitution doesn't apply.

* - LEOs can do this, TSOs cannot. There's a reason. It has something to do with the law. The law has something to do with the Constitution. It's kinda cool how this is SUPPOSED to work.

Now please pardon me while I do a double back-flip-McTwisty off my soap box.
You almost know enough to get it right. The example that you listed with the LEO is for the LEO's protection.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Oct 2, 2010 at 5:43 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Oct 2, 2010, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by eyecue
You are free to move around by walking and driving.
Clearly that is not true, with TSA VIPR teams conducting searches on the Atlanta highways.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 10:55 am

We are all different. Different back grounds and up bringing. Coming a lot of times from different cultures.

Some think this is very invaisive others thinks is for security and ok.

It is not up to the goverment to decided to what you think is invaisve and/or not.

They ( the law makers) dont have it done to them and (I guess) not their families.

If I think something is invsisive then it is invaisive. Dont tell me it is not.

Like I said before no wonder that USA is loosing tourists. It is all over the news papers in Europe how USA treats their tourists. And most people are angry and very offended.

I have more respect for my self than wanted to be groped by strangers.
Yes TSA and co. is strangers to me. I didnt sign up for it.

I have also notcied that the better shape your are in the more you get screanned.
And the ruder they get to you.

Also I do think that TSA and co. also have to remember that a lot of people dont speak english and/or have limited knowledge of the language.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
You are free to move around by walking and driving.
Clearly that is not true, with TSA VIPR teams conducting searches on the Atlanta highways.
Or behavior detection screening clerks harassing people at a sporting event.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 12:38 pm

Congrats, you have two of the dumbest things I've ever read in a single post.

You are free to move around by walking and driving. You dont have the right to take a plane at your whim.
So I'm free to drive, but not fly? I must have missed the airplane exclusion in the Constitution. Shocking to know my constitutional rights don't exist at the airport.

It is an administrative action and not subject to the 4th ammendment
So TSA (the government) can do anything it wants and the Constitution doesn't apply? That explains the TSA attitude. The 4th amendment is specifically about the government doing those things. That is why we have a Constitution.

Well driving over a bridge does not entail the use of a vehicle that could be a WMD.
Really? Do vehicles packed with explosives exist in your world? I'll give a slight benefit of the doubt by assuming your mean somebody taking over the vehicle. If this is the case, feeling my crotch does nothing to keep me out of the cockpit.

You almost know enough to get it right. The example that you listed with the LEO is for the LEO's protection.
Nope. The example I listed is about detaining AND the physical/invasive searching of a person without their consent or a warrant (little thing called due process). There are very limited exceptions for who can do both. If you think TSA has that legal authority, please provide evidence to support your claim.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Well driving over a bridge does not entail the use of a vehicle that could be a WMD.
I spot your 9/11™ tunnel vision. I don't agree with your views regarding searches, but a small truck or van or even a 1969 Cadillac could haul the 2000 pounds of a very workable atomic bomb. And I doubt may bridges would be useable if a ton of C4 went off in the middle.

Well driving over a bridge does not entail the use of a vehicle that could be a WMD. It also does not have several hundred occupants on it.
The victims do not have to be IN the transportation means. Start with a Ryder truck that can haul 5000 pounds. Google "Oklahoma City" to find out the rest.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Flaflyer
I spot your 9/11™ tunnel vision. I don't agree with your views regarding searches, but a small truck or van or even a 1969 Cadillac could haul the 2000 pounds of a very workable atomic bomb. And I doubt may bridges would be useable if a ton of C4 went off in the middle.

The victims do not have to be IN the transportation means. Start with a Ryder truck that can haul 5000 pounds. Google "Oklahoma City" to find out the rest.
Didn't you hear? Planes are now the only possible WMD. This is great news. We should be able to save a fortune not worrying about CBRNE. We'll just rename the acronym P.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 7:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ScatterX
Didn't you hear? Planes are now the only possible WMD. This is great news. We should be able to save a fortune not worrying about CBRNE. We'll just rename the acronym P.
One of these days TSA will discover that the primary WMD is called a brain, and everyone but them has one.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by n4zhg
One of these days TSA will discover that the primary WMD is called a brain, and everyone but them has one.
+1

IMO, the primary WMD is the government scaring apathetic/uninformed citizens to justify their power grabbing. The liberties we've already given up for the false sense of security is saddening. The massive economic and emotional health impact, that we have imposed on ourselves, is worse than the terrorists could ever accomplish.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by tanja
We are all different. Different back grounds and up bringing. Coming a lot of times from different cultures.

Some think this is very invaisive others thinks is for security and ok.

It is not up to the goverment to decided to what you think is invaisve and/or not.

They ( the law makers) dont have it done to them and (I guess) not their families.

If I think something is invsisive then it is invaisive. Dont tell me it is not.

Like I said before no wonder that USA is loosing tourists. It is all over the news papers in Europe how USA treats their tourists. And most people are angry and very offended.

I have more respect for my self than wanted to be groped by strangers.
Yes TSA and co. is strangers to me. I didnt sign up for it.

I have also notcied that the better shape your are in the more you get screanned.
And the ruder they get to you.

Also I do think that TSA and co. also have to remember that a lot of people dont speak english and/or have limited knowledge of the language.
Only want to comment on one thing you said: almost exclusively the law makers are screened. I have personally screened members of both the House and Senate. Heck I even screened Karl Rove while he was still with Bush (for some reason he kept coming to texas ). And yes, their families are screened, too. There are very few exceptions when our law makers and their familes are not screened.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Originally Posted by jampa
Oh this will be good...i'm trained in self defense and i could so see this going so very very wrong....
^^

I hope that this does not happen to me because that TSO is in for a huge suprise. Click on link in my signature.

Last edited by anaggie; Oct 3, 2010 at 5:20 pm
Old Oct 3, 2010, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SATTSO
Only want to comment on one thing you said: almost exclusively the law makers are screened. I have personally screened members of both the House and Senate. Heck I even screened Karl Rove while he was still with Bush (for some reason he kept coming to texas ). And yes, their families are screened, too. There are very few exceptions when our law makers and their familes are not screened.
You ever think Rove comes back to Texas because its home?
Old Oct 3, 2010, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
You ever think Rove comes back to Texas because its home?
Hmm a little sarcasm seems to be lost on you. But, actually, when I screened him he was leaving Crawford from SAT, maybe had a meeting in San Antonio. How do I know he was leaving Crawford, because I asked, and he answered (told him if he didnt answer me he wouldn't fly today!!).

And yes, I actually do know he is from Texas, I was sort of making a sarcastic joke in my above post. Just so we are clear.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by SATTSO
I guess it depends what you mean by screening.

You are going to tell me that you put leaders of countries and members of their government in the nude machines? And that you would grope them?

Well if that doesnt start problems between countries I don know what would.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 6:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by Gynob001
We are lucky to be just patted. In some countries (e.g. India) military police are the security people. They don't make any eye contact, don't smile, put GROPE! You don't dare to complain as they are very liberal about hitting people.
I liked India, generally the ladies who did my screening were very friendly.

(and the whole ladies only line was like an elite line, only quicker )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.