Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Everybody Gets a Back Rub Day and the NBS Nexus Again!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Everybody Gets a Back Rub Day and the NBS Nexus Again!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2010, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PhoenixRev
Clearly, you don't understand.

(Please choose one from below as a response.)

1. There are so many IDs, we can't be expected to know them all (much less accept them).

2. Don't you have a Drivers License? Everyone has a Drivers License.

3. We are a young agency. These things take time. So, until we all know what a NEXUS card is, you need to produce something else, like a Passport Card.

4. Sorry, we don't accept the NEXUS card.

5. Sorry, we don't accept the Passport Card.

6. They haven't started that program yet.

7. Don't you have a Passport? Everyone has a Passport.

8. The TSA website is out of date.

9. The SOP is out of date.

10. We're going to have to give you a secondary and search your bag.
1, 2, 3, 8, 9 and 10 on this encounter with three different folks. although I will give a break on 10 as my carry on gets opened up and swabbed about half the time. I had the printout from the web site with Nexus highlighted and handed it to the first TDC and you would have thought I had handed him a live rattlesnake from the way he threw it down.

I had to stand to the side and wait, twice. It was interesting as folks, 25 or so, went through past me and had that "I wonder what he did?" look as they got their DL's approved.

This is getting old but it is sort of fun if I have time.

The back rub was just weird.

I will ask for new gloves the next time.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 5:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
Well, folks this is a new one on me. Every Pax through the WTMD was told to turn toward the xray machine and the TSO then ran his hands down from the shoulders down the middle of the back ending just above the waist.

I was through and done before I realized that I watched this process on at least 12 Pax, plus me, and the TSO was still wearing the same gloves. Oh, well, so much for good sanitation.

This was after the TDC refused my Never Before Seen Nexus, no supervisor could be found, and I was asked at least five times "This is the last time I am going to ask you this, will you show me a driver's license?" To which I replied every time "The Nexus is an accepted form of ID according to your regulations." He finally went to the book, found it in about 3 minutes, and then apologized. He said that he had never seen a Nexus and that they needed to get the word out. I told him he is the third one I have had to train at this airport.

Eventually everyone will know if I keep this up. Can I bill the TSA a training fee?
How about a complaint form? (Yeah, like that will do any good)

1, 2, 3, 8, 9 and 10 on this encounter with three different folks. although I will give a break on 10 as my carry on gets opened up and swabbed about half the time. I had the printout from the web site with Nexus highlighted and handed it to the first TDC and you would have thought I had handed him a live rattlesnake from the way he threw it down.
This is why we need people on the land side videotaping the checkpoints. That way when TSA pulls excuse number six out of it's collective rectum why there is no recording of the incident we can say "no problem, we have our own, see you in court, respondent. Oh, by the way, we're putting it up on YouTube and calling the press."

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Sep 14, 2010 at 1:09 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Sep 14, 2010, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
lol

Unless he has shiny, tin badge, I'm still not sure if I can trust him..
Badge or not he is head of TSA, not trusting is a given.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
A continuation of the NBS NEXUS saga

Bump Bump Bump

A change of pace from the NOOD and grope stories.

Today I fly out of a terminal with no scanners (MSP Terminal 2) and I could not have opt out fun, so I decided to use my NEXUS, which I do most of the time anyway. I have had real good success lately. Until today.

TDC: Do you have another form of ID?

INK: The NEXUS is an accepted form of ID according to your SOP.

TDC: Are you sure you do not have another form of ID?

INK: The NEXUS is an accepted form of ID according to your SOP. Call a Supervisor. I'll just stand here to the side and wait.

Three Striper: Don't you have another form of ID?

I dig out my printout from the website showing the NEXUS and that it is an accepted form of ID.

Three Striper: You could have faked this printout.

INK: It is from the TSA web site. I will wait while you check with your supervisor.

They spend a minute of two looking for a more superior in charge person, but they are not available. They pass the NEXUS around and everyone gets a good look at it but nobody has ever seen one. One person has "the book" and is doing a futile search looking for the NEXUS in "the book." I have about 6-7 blue shirted ones involved at this point. Then the "obviously in charge person" shows up from out in the ticketing area accompanied by someone else that is obviously not in charge and they show them the NEXUS. There are now two more added to the group approving an ID that is an acceptable ID from their own SOP.

Obvious in charge person: Do you have another ID?

Obvious in charge person gets on the phone to call in a higher authority. While on the phone asks to borrow the magic magnifier from the TDC, looks closely at the NEXUS with the magic magnifier, takes my boarding pass and makes the amazing squiggle, and directs me to a bag x-ray/WTMD line. No apology, no explanation, nothing. Not even "Have a nice day!" or "Sorry for the delay."

I did get the best carry on screening that I have gotten in a long, long time. It spent enough time in the x-ray that I thought it might glow in the dark. The inspector had to take almost everything out and put it in a tub and run it back through. Ran the case back through with the stuff out of it. Lots of pointing at the screen and looking. Finally cleared all of the "alarms" and I got to repack my bag. The bag is full of electronic tools, cables and accessories. Strange looking stuff actually so it is not unusual to get a good check. As I thought about it later, I do not remember that they did an ETD, just the search. Maybe they did it while I was tying my shoes. After it was all over, the clerk asked me what kind of tools they were. Might of helped to ask before he started.

Surely this was not a retaliatory search? Nah, that does not happen.

Footnote: I was working at my computer in the gate area a few minutes later and Obvious in charge person comes walking through with another person not seen before. They slowed their pace and looked right at me. I smiled, gave a little nod, and they picked up their pace and left.

I filed my complaint form when I got home.

(This is actually sort of fun in a devious way.)
Old Nov 25, 2010, 3:19 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by oldjonesy
"This is the last time I am going to ask you this"

"Thank Gods, you were being rather annoying"
FLL B6 does this all the time... "this is your last and final boarding". No, it's neither, when you say it the fifth time.

Without audio, your story is loosing impact.

Fun would be showing up with as many friends as you have, with as many forms of ID, and going through security randomly. Then count what percentage get the extra screening. Given that I live both near water, and an international crossing, and there's a large population of immigrants, and a few military bases around, and even some Native American reservations nearby, I could theoretically fill the entire list.

And I had to look it up:

NEXIS: border crossing (person)
SENTRI: border crossing (vehicle)
FAST: commercial border crossing

Now for FAST, have fun with this one:

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/car...t/fast_driver/
If a renewal request is filed before expiration, a FAST Driver card remains valid beyond its printed expiration date until a new card is activated or the renewal is denied.

So find someone with an expired card that's done the request yet hasn't received the new card yet, then have TSA tell you that it's expired so it's not valid.

Here's the list of approved ID's, as of today:

* U.S. passport
* U.S. passport card
* DHS "Trusted Traveler" cards (NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
* U.S. Military ID (active duty or retired military and their dependents, and DOD civilians)
* Permanent Resident Card
* Border Crossing Card
* DHS-designated enhanced driver's license
* Drivers Licenses or other state photo identity cards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent) that meets REAL ID benchmarks (All states are currently in compliance)
* A Native American Tribal Photo ID
* An airline or airport-issued ID (if issued under a TSA-approved security plan)
* A foreign government-issued passport
* Canadian provincial driver's license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC) card
* Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC)

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Nov 25, 2010 at 11:54 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Nov 25, 2010, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbagdon
Without audio, your story is loosing impact.
Advice taken. Phone will be set to record unlimited audio, in pocket, beginning Monday. It won't take long, trust me. This happens about every third airport, except for my home one where they finally decided to follow their own SOP.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 8:36 am

I have about 6-7 blue shirted ones involved at this point.

Ah, INK, I love your Kafkaesque encounters with the TDCs around the country. They never cease to entertain and amuse!

Does anyone else find it troubling that something as simple as an ID check can tie up 7 (and at one point 9) Security Theatre actors? I mean, who the heck is keeping all the terrorists off of planes?

Oh, wait, I just realized it's more important to hassle domestic extremists...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.