Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Canadian Girlfriend got seriously hassled before entering US this time

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian Girlfriend got seriously hassled before entering US this time

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2011, 3:26 am

Programs: various
Katie, welcome to FT. Don't worry about the above comments about "normal, white". I get the issue, and I didn't find anything offensive in your post. If you had left out that verbiage, someone surely would have come back and asked "is the boyfriend a person of color?" It's no secret border agents everywhere (not just Canada or USSA) often make prejudgments based on skin color--rightly or wrongly. At least we know in your boyfriend's case, race was not part of the situational equation.

Not sure if it will help you, but Canadian Consulates in the USA:
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...aux/index.aspx
Old Jan 6, 2011, 7:20 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jiejie
Katie, welcome to FT. Don't worry about the above comments about "normal, white". I get the issue, and I didn't find anything offensive in your post. If you had left out that verbiage, someone surely would have come back and asked "is the boyfriend a person of color?" It's no secret border agents everywhere (not just Canada or USSA) often make prejudgments based on skin color--rightly or wrongly. At least we know in your boyfriend's case, race was not part of the situational equation.

Not sure if it will help you, but Canadian Consulates in the USA:
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...aux/index.aspx
Thank you for that. ^

I am checking out the link now! Thanks! Also referring my boyfriend to this forum as well. I also gave him the info of who to contact from that list and put it on his forums so he will see it.

When talking to the Canadian Consulate is it okay for him to say I am his fiance or should he just refer to me as a friend?

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jan 15, 2011 at 10:06 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Jan 6, 2011, 11:43 pm

Programs: Delta (SkyTeam) Plat, Hyatt GP Diamond, HH Diamond
I would just go with girlfriend. If he says fiance, they will then question whether you plan to get married in Canada as a way for him to stay there and work.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by Jams65
I would just go with girlfriend. If he says fiance, they will then question whether you plan to get married in Canada as a way for him to stay there and work.
Although I agree with the above, lying is an even worse thing to do.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by nachtnebel
Speaking from experience in the Vancouver area, on the Canadian side, the immigration folks are not terribly welcoming to Americans (exactly the opposite, they seem to be very suspicious)
Originally Posted by dagowolf
When the English-speaking CIC agents see the US passport they go into complete jerk mode .
Ha, I noticed that too - when I used to travel to Canada with my GC, the border agents were OK and sometimes even quite nice. When I naturalised and started to travel on the US passport, they started to treat me quite differently. It got to the point that now I favour CBP agents slightly more than CBSA agents
Old Jan 8, 2011, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Jams65
Thanks. We have been terrified that he shouldn't even say girlfriend because of how there seems to be so many many unwritten rules of what you should or should not ever say! Isn't there a list anywhere? I mean .. he thought asking about a poster on the wall about jobs wasn't a crime .. and it brought all this on! So we didn't know how to handle the dating aspect. But we both hate lying so it has put us in a place we don't know what to do.

Originally Posted by König
Ha, I noticed that too - when I used to travel to Canada with my GC, the border agents were OK and sometimes even quite nice. When I naturalised and started to travel on the US passport, they started to treat me quite differently. It got to the point that now I favour CBP agents slightly more than CBSA agents
I have no ideas what all those acronyms mean, but so wow you got to see how both sides are treated then?
Old Jan 8, 2011, 12:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
I guess one of the many annoying things about the CBP is their apparent expectation that all couples follow their neat little relationship development programme. In their view people are supposed to transition from "dating" to "engaged" to "married" and keep the visa status in conformance at all times.

My longest monogamous relationship lasted 17 years, much longer than most of my friends' marriages. We never had any sort of legal document that confirmed our commitment to each other. So what? It's just unbelievable that the CBP thinks they can "bless" certain relationships based on the degree to which you follow their prescribed views about how such things work. But my choice of a different route doesn't mean that I have less right to a happy relationship free of harassment by Federal agents than anyone else.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 7:52 pm

we've been together since 2005 and are trying to follow the rules .. but they don't exactly make the rules very clear.

My Spanish friend said he knows a guy in South USA who is marrying a Canadian girl and says to talk to him (just got the email at the same time as the notification of a reply here just now). It is not that we wouldn't do what ever it takes .. it is just that it seems it can only be done if you are rich.. with the little information we have been told being that you need $10,000 to live in Canada when you were an American and need to get sponsored (which I can't) .. but before I get into all those details I guess I should start my own thread huh?
Old Jan 10, 2011, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

I have some info and updates

To give my experience on a couple of recent issues:

When visiting my girlfriend in Canada, I never said I was in a relationship. I always said "visiting friends". This was also true, because I was visiting a wonderful little circle of friends there, I just happened to be sleeping with one of them.

When my girlfriend was visiting me here, she divulged the relationship which helped to insure she had many horrible interrogations, as described in this thread. They were either badgering her about attempts to immigrate here via her relationship with me, or determined to make her confess that she worked here during her frequent visits.

On her Christmas visit to be with me, as many of you predicted, she received her first wave-through in months, with no interrogations about her holiday stay.

And of course the irony of all the CBP harassment is that this last time she was here I decided to marry her, because we are in love, but also partly to avoid all the trouble with the customs officials. I have been tempted to write an open letter to CBP thanking them for making my relationship with her seem wrong and forbidden in their authoritarian eyes, and therefore very exciting and hot.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:07 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Honestly, the best way to deal with all of this is to get NEXUS. Both my girlfriend (Canadian) and I (American) are bothered significantly less.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 5:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by N1120A
Honestly, the best way to deal with all of this is to get NEXUS. Both my girlfriend (Canadian) and I (American) are bothered significantly less.
Every thread about getting hassled, somebody suggests "NEXUS" or other similar programmes. Sorry, but completely surrendering all of your privacy rights is not a solution to anything.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 7:41 am

Programs: AA GM, DL DM, DSC
Congratulations AtariBaby on your engagement.

As a Canadian living in the US for 14 years now I have many experiences crossing the U.S./Canada border.

My worst experiences early on were when I was on an H1 visa crossing at YOW. Without fail, I consistently would be pulled into the CBP office. It got to the point I had to avoid the 6 AM flights because they didn't open the airport until 5 AM and that wasn't enough time to get through security then sit in the CBP office for an hour. I started to bring a book with me which seemed to tick them off so they would hold me until my flight was closing the door. Many times the only question they would ask me is "what time does your flight leave?". That was literally the only question they asked me sometimes. I would eventually be released and after running to the gate usually would make my flight although a handful of times I repeated the process the next day as there was only 1 daily flight leaving late morning. It became easier to drive across the border and fly from a US airport. I never had any such hassles driving across the border but CBP @ YOW was a real PITA those years.

Initially I was on a TN visa and didn't have any hassles. Something about the H1 visa triggered the extra process. Now that I am a permanent resident I have few issues with CBP. In fact now entering Canada tends to be more work with more questions & more hassles. I have always found this interesting as I remain a Canadian citizen and enter on my Canadian passport while also presenting my U.S. PR card yet I get drilled with questions by Canadian officials. Coming home to the US now tends to be easier often ending with the CBP agent saying "welcome home".

Now when visiting family in Canada I fly to BUF and drive across to Southern Ontario. I see a lot of Canadian passports @ BUF. My family tells me a lot of Canadians have learned to avoid using Canadian airports to fly to the U.S. although I don't think it is due to CBP but the current security process for flights to the U.S.

Good luck and congratulations.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Regarding the NEXUS advice, it is excellent advice, and I have one, although it's not for everyone. My fiance is unable to reconstruct her multi-year residential and employment information as required-- she has worked and lived in too many places, and at times not worked, and the form doesn't allow gaps (!), and she's unwilling to lie as always, so she is an example of someone who can't qualify for a NEXUS card.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 6:59 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Didn't notice the engagement part. Congrats.

Originally Posted by polonius
Every thread about getting hassled, somebody suggests "NEXUS" or other similar programmes. Sorry, but completely surrendering all of your privacy rights is not a solution to anything.
1) I disagree that enrolling in "NEXUS" (as you put it) is a complete surrender of privacy rights. Governments do background checks all the time, not under the scope of any program. Just look at all the stories of the Canadians pulling up 15 year old DUIs to extract a "rehabilitation" fee from unwitting Yanks.

2) I had to live scan my fingerprints years ago. First, so I could have a summer job on my dad's car dealership, then so I could obtain the license to practice in my profession. In fact, I found out that the Canadians had access to my fingerprints (or at least that I had fingerprints taken) back in 2005, before I had even considered NEXUS.

3) In many ways, I surrender less of my privacy rights than you or someone else who doesn't have NEXUS or GE does, as I am far less likely to have my belongings searched at the border. I got thanked for paying duty last week on an overage because the CBP agent admitted that they would almost never check a GE person for such a thing. Indeed, one of the biggest reasons for getting GE was to avoid the disgusting behavior of so many bigoted, jingoistic CBP agents.

So yeah. Pick another fight.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 6:49 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by AtariBaby
she has worked and lived in too many places, and at times not worked, and the form doesn't allow gaps (!),
You can fill in the gaps with "Unemployed" dates if she wasn't working during certian times over the past 5 years

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.