Community
Wiki Posts
Search

You thought Kip was an idiot, Try this one

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2010, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by TSORon
Please take a few moments and provide a link that shows a TSO or BDO has forced someone to answer their questions.

Asking someone a question is not an intrusion. The Constitution does not forbid government from asking questions, nor does any law. You have the right to refuse to answer and there is nothing I or any other government employee can do about it. I am not going to twist your arm, or water board you, or threaten your family.

Asking you a question is not a violation of your rights. Asking you a question is not a violation of your rights. Asking you a question is not a violation of your rights. Get it?
As long as you do not impose any form of penalty - say, blatantly-retaliatory "secondary searches" intended to assert your authoritah!, deliberately-slowed-in-a-blatant-effort-to-make-you-miss-your-flight searches of person and belongings, or "D-Y-W-T-F-T?" - upon those who refuse to answer, I have no problem whatsoever with you ASKING.

Do you have a problem with people asserting their rights to remain silent when asked nonsensical or irrelevant questions by a government actor?
Old Mar 25, 2010, 8:53 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Please take a few moments and provide a link that shows a TSO or BDO has forced someone to answer their questions.

Asking someone a question is not an intrusion. The Constitution does not forbid government from asking questions, nor does any law. You have the right to refuse to answer and there is nothing I or any other government employee can do about it.
Hmmm.. Ron, you apparently don't get it. Did you bother to read this post about the abuse your fellow screeners heaped on a passenger the other day?

He then looks at my NEXUS card and looks like he is going to have the situation sorted, then he comes to the side of the TDC podium and says "can I ask you a few questions?" I say "no." He then refuses me entry, saying "you are not cleared." I let him know that he is refusing me entry with a US government issued identification that is specifically listed as TSA accepted. He still refuses. I then ask for his supervisor, an FSD if available, and the police.

That is, Ron, very clearly "doing something about it"

Read the entire post about what happened, Ron, then come back here and tell us again about how someone has a right to refuse to answer questions and that there's nothing anyone in government can do about it.

Get it?
Old Mar 25, 2010, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by erictank
As long as you do not impose any form of penalty - say, blatantly-retaliatory "secondary searches" intended to assert your authoritah!, deliberately-slowed-in-a-blatant-effort-to-make-you-miss-your-flight searches of person and belongings, or "D-Y-W-T-F-T?" - upon those who refuse to answer, I have no problem whatsoever with you ASKING.

Do you have a problem with people asserting their rights to remain silent when asked nonsensical or irrelevant questions by a government actor?
None what-so-ever Eric. Answer or don’t. I don’t really care. But as with everything in life there are consequences for our actions, both good and bad. Which you get depends on the decisions you make. So, when you refuse to cooperate with the screening process do not be surprised if the consequence of that decision is not something you want.

After all, there is no constitutionally guaranteed right to get on that aircraft now is there.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 9:12 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
After all, there is no constitutionally guaranteed right to get on that aircraft now is there.
Nowhere have the People ceded any such right to the government.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Hmmm.. Ron, you apparently don't get it. Did you bother to read this post about the abuse your fellow screeners heaped on a passenger the other day?

That is, Ron, very clearly "doing something about it"

Read the entire post about what happened, Ron, then come back here and tell us again about how someone has a right to refuse to answer questions and that there's nothing anyone in government can do about it.

Get it?
Nope, didn’t read it. I tend to skip over quite a bit of the obvious blather that folks here seem to enjoy so much. Its boring, usually inaccurate as heck, and 99% of the time it represents an extremely biased view of a situation or event.

OK, I read it. A few unsupported conclusions in it but overall an interesting story. You seem willing to accept it at face value, whereas I am a bit of a skeptic.

Now, did TSA twist this guy’s arms or in any way attempt to force an answer out of him?
Did TSA place him in handcuff’s?
Did he miss his flight?
Was he eventually allowed into the sterile area?
Does the TSA have the authority to deny someone access to the sterile area?
Could this man’s actions have been interpreted to mean that he as a higher level of threat to the safe operation of his scheduled flight than the average passenger?
Is TSA responsible for the actions of Law Enforcement Officers, Airline Personnel, or the actions of the passenger?
When asked the question by the supervisor was there anything preventing the passenger from walking away?

Take the blinders off and try reading the post yourself there GHF. It’s amazing how much one can learn when one is open to more than one point of view.

Get it?
Old Mar 25, 2010, 9:37 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
Actually, if you're going to play that game, there's no constitutionally guaranteed right for most things. No constitutionally guaranteed right to eat, watch TV, or breathe.

Remember, you said 'constitution'.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 9:41 am
Suspended

Asking you a question is not a violation of your rights. Asking you a question is not a violation of your rights. Asking you a question is not a violation of your rights. Get it?
The BDO program is a laughable failure. The BDO program is a laughable failure. The BDO program is a laughable failure. Get it?
Old Mar 25, 2010, 10:21 am

The right to get on that aircraft is acquired by a contract with the airline which owns and operates it. Government has no right to interfere in a contractual relationship.

There is a Constitutional right to enter any public area. I believe it was discussed some time ago in a thread concerning checkpoints in the DC area (I am too lazy to do a search), which were ruled unconstitutional.

Read the Ninth Amendment.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by PoliceStateSurvivor
The right to get on that aircraft is acquired by a contract with the airline which owns and operates it. Government has no right to interfere in a contractual relationship.
Well said sir! I’m impressed. Honestly when I saw your name I assumed that this was going to be another baseless rant, please accept my apologies for that. You make a reasonable argument.

But you missed something. One of the conditions of that “contract” is that you must satisfactorily complete checkpoint screening by the TSA, a government agency, per the TSA’s rules. The TSA is an integral part of that contractual relationship, and therefore has every right to interfere as it is a condition of the contract. It’s a part of what you agree to when you buy an airline ticket (read the fine print sometime).

There is a Constitutional right to enter any public area. I believe it was discussed some time ago in a thread concerning checkpoints in the DC area (I am too lazy to do a search), which were ruled unconstitutional.

Read the Ninth Amendment.
Now, I’m not 100% sure, but I believe that the airport is not a “public” area but is instead owned and operated by the various airport authorities around the country as licensed by their respective states, cities, counties, etc (don’t forget the FAA). IOW, you are allowed to be there because it furthers the business interests of the airport authority, but access to the airport is not in any way a “right”. If it was indeed discussed then I missed it (sigh). And of course the conclusion you provide from that conversation seems to be in error.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 11:58 am

Well said sir! I’m impressed. Honestly when I saw your name I assumed that this was going to be another baseless rant, please accept my apologies for that. You make a reasonable argument.

But you missed something. One of the conditions of that “contract” is that you must satisfactorily complete checkpoint screening by the TSA, a government agency, per the TSA’s rules. The TSA is an integral part of that contractual relationship, and therefore has every right to interfere as it is a condition of the contract. It’s a part of what you agree to when you buy an airline ticket (read the fine print sometime).
I will ignore the insulting and condescending tone of this comment.

The problem with this argument is that beyond certain point any contractual provision can become unconscionable (sp?) or, stated differently, a contract of adhesion. Lawyers on this board can explain it much better.

Now, I’m not 100% sure, but I believe that the airport is not a “public” area but is instead owned and operated by the various airport authorities around the country as licensed by their respective states, cities, counties, etc (don’t forget the FAA). IOW, you are allowed to be there because it furthers the business interests of the airport authority, but access to the airport is not in any way a “right”. If it was indeed discussed then I missed it (sigh). And of course the conclusion you provide from that conversation seems to be in error.
Perhaps lawyers on this board can chime in here.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 12:04 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Most commercial airports in the US used for scheduled passenger flights are public facilities, owned and operated by a governmental/quasi-governmental agency. There are court decisions where airports are referred to as the property of the government even when the airport is in the control of a quasi-governmental agency such as most airport operators in the US.

The apologists for making airports "constitution-free" zones stake their claim on their idea that airports are neither a traditional public forum nor a government-designated public forum.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 25, 2010 at 12:09 pm
Old Mar 25, 2010, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
well look who dropped in wrong again!

you mean these examples of the fine print? Please tell me where TSA particulars you mentioned in any of these

http://www.aa.com/i18n/customerServi...OfCarriage.jsp - No mention of TSA at all or screening

http://content.united.com/ual/asset/COC19Jan10final.pdf - One mention but pertaining to permitted and prohibited items, but nothing about screening.

http://images.delta.com.edgesuite.ne...rriage_dom.pdf - Nothing

http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...2010020101.pdf - One mention but only pertaining to rebreather tanks which isnt a TSA thing but a FAA thing.

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/about...fcarriage.html - Nadda

http://www.alaskaair.com/as/www2/com...f_main_toc.asp - Zilch

http://www.jetblue.com/p/jetblue_coc.pdf - Only references to medical supplies

Do i need to go on do i need to go look at international carriers?
Old Mar 25, 2010, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Most commercial airports in the US used for scheduled passenger flights are public facilities, owned and operated by a governmental/quasi-governmental agency. There are court decisions where airports are referred to as the property of the government even when the airport is in the control of a quasi-governmental agency such as most airport operators in the US.
OK, assuming that you are correct, the property being government property does not necessairly mean that it is public property. Military bases are government owned, but public access is not allowed. There are many other government properties that are not open to the public, which means that airports could also be this way.

Like I said though, I am not 100% of that. One would need to look at the actual documentation of each individual airport to verify it one way or another I suppose. But asking an attorney, most specifically one that posts here, would be a very questionable activity. Most attorney's can turn the most innocent statement into a confession by a mass murderer, and given my experience with the few that have claimed such education here there is no way I am going to trust their word.

Originally Posted by Scubatooth
well look who dropped in wrong again!

you mean these examples of the fine print? Please tell me where TSA particulars you mentioned in any of these

http://www.aa.com/i18n/customerServi...OfCarriage.jsp - No mention of TSA at all or screening

http://content.united.com/ual/asset/COC19Jan10final.pdf - One mention but pertaining to permitted and prohibited items, but nothing about screening.

http://images.delta.com.edgesuite.ne...rriage_dom.pdf - Nothing

http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...2010020101.pdf - One mention but only pertaining to rebreather tanks which isnt a TSA thing but a FAA thing.

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/about...fcarriage.html - Nadda

http://www.alaskaair.com/as/www2/com...f_main_toc.asp - Zilch

http://www.jetblue.com/p/jetblue_coc.pdf - Only references to medical supplies

Do i need to go on do i need to go look at international carriers?
No, you need to read the actual agreement you make with the airline for your ticket, not a web site. Nice attempt to spin though, transparent as all heck but cute all the same.

I will ignore the insulting and condescending tone of this comment.
Aww gee, I was being honest and forthright with you. Yet you choose to take my comments that way, how sad.

I thought we had the beginnings of a reasonable discussion on the topic, why derail it so soon with nastiness?

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Mar 25, 2010 at 8:19 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Mar 25, 2010, 12:18 pm

But asking an attorney, most specifically one that posts here, would be a very questionable activity. Most attorneys can turn the most innocent statement into a confession by a mass murderer, and given my experience with the few that have claimed such education here there is no way I am going to trust their word.
I would trust the opinion of attorneys, especially those who back their arguments up with legal citations, a lot more than I would trust a word of a blatant Government apologist.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 12:22 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
OK, assuming that you are correct, the property being government property does not necessairly mean that it is public property.
What government property in this country is not public property?

Doesn't the TSA disseminate propaganda that at least aligns somewhat with the actual meaning of English language phrases as applicable in the US?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.