Community
Wiki Posts
Search

You thought Kip was an idiot, Try this one

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2010, 10:45 am

"I'm not a cyber expert, but I could tell from the way that the computer was configured that there was no storage," he said.

If it is a computer it has to have some kind of onboard storage- something to boot from, someplace to store the operating system, at least a temp file for the images. I'd guess that they are not using a custom terminal or specialized controller boards beyond what the scanner needs to function. Why invent the interface wheel all over again when there is off the shelf hardware that can run the scanner's software and produce the image? Maybe there is no DVD/CD drive on the front panel.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 10:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tsadude1
With the outcome of recent events, do you think that they honestly care what the nations people think? Good luck on your project but I wouldnt invest too much time in it.
One of my Congresspeople is a Republican and he is finally listening to me and my concerns about the TSA.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 11:13 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by clrankin
Yet another reason why I wouldn't help a TSO if he was choking, in need of immediate medical assistance, and I was the only one around...
That's awful! I wouldn't hesitate to offer assistance.

"Sir, can you tell me what you're choking on? Sir?? Do you have anything sharp or dangerous on your person that might injure me while performing the Heimlich? Sir? Do you want assistance today?"
Old Mar 24, 2010, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
He's an astute observer. He looked (and did not see) buttons labelled 'retain', 'transmit', 'save': ergo, the machines must be configured properly.
He didn't find any of these labels, but, passed right over buttons which read: "TMZ", "PerezHilton" "National Enquirer" "Hustler" and "FoxNews"
Old Mar 24, 2010, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
With the outcome of recent events, do you think that they honestly care what the nations people think? Good luck on your project but I wouldnt invest too much time in it.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but people like Congressman Chaffetz are still going ahead with plans to see that the Nude-O-Scopes are banned.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
Originally Posted by Spiff

"Sir, can you tell me what you're choking on? Sir?? Do you have anything sharp or dangerous on your person that might injure me while performing the Heimlich? Sir? Do you want assistance today?"
+1

LOL ... Ill hold my comments as it would Omni in about 20 words
Old Mar 24, 2010, 2:12 pm

The problem with adopting the Israeli system is that it requires the use of brains, something the TSA has not mastered yet.

Besides, there is that thorough publication from the National Research Council, a branch of the National Academy of Sciences, saying behavior detection does not work.

TSAdude told me some time ago he is working on a thesis on why the NRC is wrong. I hope we get to see his work in print in the near future. It certainly has to be quite something to overrule the NRC...
Old Mar 24, 2010, 2:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BubbaLoop
The problem with adopting the Israeli system is that it requires the use of brains, something the TSA has not mastered yet.

Besides, there is that thorough publication from the National Research Council, a branch of the National Academy of Sciences, saying behavior detection does not work.

TSAdude told me some time ago he is working on a thesis on why the NRC is wrong. I hope we get to see his work in print in the near future. It certainly has to be quite something to overrule the NRC...
With his attitude, it shouldn't take too long for him to write that paper. I can give you a summary, if you wish:

"Because I said so."
Old Mar 24, 2010, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BubbaLoop
I deal with the NRC fairly often. I would be happy to get TSADude on the agenda to present his findings -- and sell tickets.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
I deal with the NRC fairly often. I would be happy to get TSADude on the agenda to present his findings -- and sell tickets.
record for youtube as well?
Old Mar 25, 2010, 5:27 am
Suspended

This is the best news ever ^ More BDOs on the way along with several hundred more body scanners. Hope and change I thought the libs were all about protecting your rights?
It's kind of like the rights in the Constitution of the old USSR. No one was supposed to take it seriously.

Originally Posted by Spiff

Well played, sir!

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Mar 25, 2010 at 8:11 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Mar 25, 2010, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
I´d love to attend.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Mar 25, 2010 at 8:14 pm Reason: consequential edit
Old Mar 25, 2010, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by Superguy
So how well is his idea of questioning like the Israelis going to work when we have the right to remain silent when questioned by the government and maintaining silence cannot be construed as guilt?
A TSA checkpoint is not a court room, we have no authority or training to determine guilt or innocence. We are trained to determine threat level that something (TSO) or someone (BDO) may pose to an aircraft. And our decisions carry no criminal penalty with them, we can only refuse you or your property access to the sterile area if you refuse to cooperate with the screening process. That is not a determination of either guilt or innocence, not by any stretch of the imagination.

Originally Posted by Superguy
Also, he's no cyberguru, but as far as he could tell, there's no way to store or transmit images? Gee, that placates my fears.

We're getting another idiot. Just from a different discipline.
He is willing to admit his shortcomings (which is more than most people here are willing to do), to me that means a great deal. As long as he is willing to listen to the recommendations of his professional staff that ARE subject matter experts then he might just work out.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TSORon
We are trained to determine threat level that something (TSO) or someone (BDO) may pose to an aircraft.
LOL!

You just can't make this stuff up.....

Old Mar 25, 2010, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by Andy1369
Very sad. It seems to me like people have forgotten that the Constitution specifically guards against this type of government intrusion.
Please take a few moments and provide a link that shows a TSO or BDO has forced someone to answer their questions.

Asking someone a question is not an intrusion. The Constitution does not forbid government from asking questions, nor does any law. You have the right to refuse to answer and there is nothing I or any other government employee can do about it. I am not going to twist your arm, or water board you, or threaten your family.

Asking you a question is not a violation of your rights. Asking you a question is not a violation of your rights. Asking you a question is not a violation of your rights. Get it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.