Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Homeland Security jails man for crossing the street to buy a pizza

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Homeland Security jails man for crossing the street to buy a pizza

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2010, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by okazon69
Hmmm. Even the Canadian Prime Minister seems to disagree with our resident poster who feels the current strong-armed mentality is righteous and appropriate.

And Prime Minister Stephen Harper, who happened to be in Stanstead on Friday to announce a new hockey arena, voiced concern over the border incidents. Earlier this month, a Nova Scotia couple who had just dropped their son off at a hockey tournament in Quebec were detained and fingerprinted after accidentally crossing into the U.S. at Church Street.

“We share all the same security concerns as our American friends,” Mr. Harper said. “I think we have to keep making the point to our American friends that it’s essential that our borders be bridges between us and not barriers.”
Old Mar 30, 2010, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by ElPasoPilot
Hmmm. Even the Canadian Prime Minister seems to disagree with our resident poster who feels the current strong-armed mentality is righteous and appropriate.
The politician taking an opportunity to record a nice sound bite doesn't change the fact that his government was the one to propose the gates on those streets. He doesn’t live there I did.

If the gates were in place to stop people who are unfamiliar with the area from making the mistake of crossing there and directing them to the Port of Entry that is less than 500 yards away why is that a bad thing? Neither Government is telling the people they have to drive miles away instead. You can disagree all you want the reality there is an international border there and you can't cross it where ever you like. How often as an El Paso Pilot do you just cross the border where ever you like?

By the I feel warm and fuzzy that I get to be a resident here.

FB
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by LessO2
I agree it's a stretch, but you have to admit that the TSA treats everyone as if they're Richard Reid. Isn't that guilt by association?
Guilt by existence
Old Aug 13, 2010, 1:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MileageAddict
As mentioned in other posts about the TSA cancer spreading...

http://www.wptz.com/news/22826310/detail.html

After you read the article, look here to see a picture of the location:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3011/...e57be8cffc.jpg
The TSA is an organization. It doesn't get cancer. People do. In terms of the article, are you serious? The guy crossed the border illegally. There are streets like that all along the Canadian border and people KNOW they can't go there. There's not a fence all along the border. People just know the laws and that they can get in trouble for crossing the border.

Are you seriously defending someone for crossing into Canada illegally? He'd be crossing back illegally too and apparently has done this numerous times. This isn't something that is completely unknown to people who live in such a small distance from the border.

This is about as bad as the guy who complained that he couldn't board a plane with his library card.

Did you even think about this before you posted? At all?

I agree that this doesn't have anything to do with the TSA. They are both government agencies and that's it.........Assuming the story the guy told is true the chance that it will end badly for him is zero. Common sense will prevail.
Unless you're making posts about the TSA cancer I guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.